Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:00 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I predict that it won't be long before landlords say, "What? You wanted a toilet in the apartment? Sorry, you'll have to buy your own."
Toilets are required under law.
Refrigerators are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Toilets are required under law.
Refrigerators are not.
From what you're saying, I have to conclude that if toilets weren't required by law, many landlords wouldn't offer them.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
From what you're saying, I have to conclude that if toilets weren't required by law, many landlords wouldn't offer them.
the deal with renting is that its your choice whether to rent or not. if someone doesnt offer a toilet, find someone that does. works the same way for furnished and semi-furnished apts

Old 01-23-2009, 02:30 PM

188 posts, read 920,344 times
I've lived in the Bay Area, San Diego and Hawaii (where the humidity can really magnify roach and mold problems) and never noticed a place lacking a fridge(unless it was an illegal inlaw). It'd be nice to have a personal fridge, the places I rented at often had old ones that froze unevenly and used way too much electricity, but it seems unpractical for a young person just moving to the city. Do most people take their fridge with them when moving apartments? Is their demand for used fridges?, lol. Actually I wonder when I see foreclosures what happened to the units fridges and stoves, I never really figured there might be a big second hand market.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:32 PM

188 posts, read 920,344 times
^^bhcompy or anyone, Does semi-furnished mean that it includes fridge, washer/dryer, ...? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
the deal with renting is that its your choice whether to rent or not. if someone doesnt offer a toilet, find someone that does. works the same way for furnished and semi-furnished apts
Absolutely, that's true. I think we're all just commenting on the fact that it's a peculiar aspect of renting in the L.A. area to find that many rentals don't include certain things that you'd find in the rest of the country.

I bet refrigerators aren't required in most places throughout the U.S., but they're still provided.

It's just another sign that the quality of life in L.A. is lower compared to other places. You pay more to live there, but you get less.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojerine View Post
Since you are a landlord yourself can you explain why it is more or less standard practice among LA landlords to not provide fridges?
I have no idea. To be perfectly honest, this is the first time I've ever heard people questioning the practice.

All I know is this: Years ago, back when I rented houses, they never came with fridges, and I never questioned why they didn't. I always preferred to supply my own. My 2 houses are in very nice neighborhoods and never stay on the market long, plus at the price they rent for, the people who rent them tend to be the type who drag their own major appliances along with them.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:53 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
Quote:
Exactly - it's interesting to see how jaded landlords appear to be. Landlords make it sound like a practical decision not to include refrigerators. Give me a break - it's the bottom line we're talking about. As I said, what you can get away with. It's not as if tenants have a high sense of entitlement for expecting a fridge. It's a practical concern - you get charged a signficant amount to move them which makes it almost better to buy a new one. You surely won't get fair value on Craigslist. Let me guess, we should keep the box? Even if you do pay to get it moved, it gets dinged, coils get crushed, and it shortens the life a fridge much more than normal use. Where do these fridges go? To the dump and they're not exactly small. The rest of the country knows this and there's no "refrigerator" surcharge when you rent a place that has one anywhere else. The most ludicrous part is that one finds less fridges as you get to the more desirable places on the west side. You pay $3k for a POS place so you're typically\ already paying a "location" premium above and beyond what a landlord has in expenses, presuming they didn't buy in 2004.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
^^bhcompy or anyone, Does semi-furnished mean that it includes fridge, washer/dryer, ...? Thanks.
i dunno. im just using it as a catch-all term for somewhere they may include some things but not others

Old 01-23-2009, 03:03 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
If you want a fridge and dont want to buy one, you can rent one. They run from about $20 to $40 per month. You can also buy them from about $350 on up.
If I have a rental with a fridge I charge an additional $50 per month. The hassle factor alone from tenants who break them is high. I dont know what it is about fridges. Stoves rarely get damaged by tenants.
The popular item is dishwashers. Tenants seem happy to have them; happier than having a fridge.
I put dishwashers in any apt that has the space. They are inexpensive and dont give problems and tenants love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles