Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:55 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I agree with you. We're joking about how little rain we get, but particularly if you don't include blowing wind we don't hardly have any weather in Los Angeles at all. I particularly enjoy thunderstorms (although my dog hates them) but you hardly ever have thunderstorms in Los Angeles. Having lived here so long I can recall we've had some really great thunderstorms, but perhaps at the rate of maybe only one every several years. We've had some pretty rainy years too, and I recall one day turning on the television and all the TV stations were broadcasting live, showing people being rescued from their floating cars, and it was in the Sepulveda basin area (405/101 freeway area) only 3 miles from my house!!!
I don't like the thunderstorm 'boom boom' but I like a good gulley washer sometimes. I guess because we experience hard rain so infrequently. As long as everyone is safe and sound, I like a good rain.

I lived a few miles from the sepulveda flooding also. A few days later I walked down the middle of Burbank which was shut to traffic due to the mud build up on the street. It was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Oh my god, it's terrible! I just stepped outside for the paper AND THE DRIVEWAY IS WET!!!!

Is Storm Watch on the news yet? Where are the man-in-the-wet-street interviews? I must know how this rain is impacting lives here in the Southland.
Yep, it's 'storm watch' time. More rain still coming I hear. Can LA survive rain and temps below 75 degrees?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:11 PM

212 posts, read 640,811 times
You know you live somewhere in SoCal when they call it a "Storm Watch" for light sprinkles that don't harm anything. What wimps! I have never seen any area so utterly crippled by the weather like SoCal is when it rains. You have to feel sorry for the poster who said he has to stay inside all day, as though it's raining roofing nails or razor blades! It's just water people, relax.

Sunshine every day seems ideal theoretically, but in practice it IS boring. That's just one of many reasons I'm moving back east soon. You know what they have back there? Actual SEASONS!! Really! I look forward to it.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathegg88 View Post
You have to feel sorry for the poster who said he has to stay inside all day, as though it's raining roofing nails or razor blades!
snicker.

I think of season in terms of daylight savings (fall back or spring forward). There are two seasons in LA - the season of long sunny days, and the season of short less sunny days. Rain is a welcome change of place.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM

142 posts, read 272,941 times
I love the rain its like going to get wet the weather is perfect just get your bathing suit and go outside how i miss those days when me and my friends went out during rainy days on our bathing suits and just got soaked good times good times.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
The Sepulveda Dam was constructed (1941) to help prevent major floods like what occurred in 1938 in the San Fernando Valley.

Sepulveda Dam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(public domain photo)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d9/Sepulvedadam.jpg/800px-Sepulvedadam.jpg (broken link)

In 1938 there was tremendous flooding in North Hollywood from all the run off from the Bell Creek and Calabasas Creek (which together form the headwaters of the Los Angeles River - those of you familiar with this confluence would also know it as Canoga Park High School). I guess it was the first real big flood to hit the region since housing replaced agriculture in the San Fernando Valley. (Until Mulholland provided water, the San Fernando Valley was primarily "dry" agriculture; After the water was made available, different crops requiring water were farmed.)

Big rains I remember were 1969, 1978, and 1994-1995. There was also a big rain year in the early 1980s or so and one storm took out part of Santa Monica Pier...I forgot what year it was.

http://digital-library.csun.edu/cgi-...B=1&DMROTATE=0

Sherman Way and Mason, 1938

Topanga and Vanowen (near Canoga Park High School), 1938

Victory and Hollywood Way, 1938

Vineland Boulevard, 1938

Last edited by SandyCo; 01-24-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 11:34 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
BORING is staying inside your house because its heavily raining all day. .
Amen.

I love rain but I've seen enough 5-month-long rainy seasons to last me forever. I'm LOVING the weather here. The rain is welcome when it comes, too.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
I went hiking in the rain today, at Santa Anita Canyon/ Chantry Flat. It was absolutely incredible. Everything was so lush and green, the smells of the vegetation pungent, being literally in the clouds (until the end of the day when it stopped raining and sun came out), hearing the sounds of the raindrops crash on the leaves. It felt like I was in Hawaii. I've never had more fun getting soaking wet and muddy before. You guys should try it some time.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 AM

nice pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles