Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times

Advertisements

Actually, what is satisfying is seeing a consensus of valid information from many different posters to aid a concerned mother. I complimented her helping her son pursue his dream, and offered tips from my perspective as someone who's traversed Hollywood and worked around the live music scene for four decades. The less distance he travels around by himself the better; far better to do so with his new musician friends.

Your # 4 is patently untrue. Gangs are widespread throughout the entirety of L.A. except for its richest enclaves, and are hardly restricted to South Central. They are also of every ethnic background found in L.A., with, sorry to say, Latino being the new majority in this notorious demographic..

I work with Neighborhood Watch and officers from all over L.A. who continually cite city-wide statistics and trends. Here's a brand new one you don't know: some of the hardcore South Central gangs now realize they're a tad "recognizable" outside their hoods and have started to ally with local gangs for criminal activities. An example from my Valley locality: Rollin' Crips (South Central) ally with Assassin Kings (Valley/Armenian) for the latter to rent cars to the former for "hot prowl" (don't care if someone is home) robberies here.

Since the gangs are widespread here, as opposed to localized in tiny partitions of slummy areas like most large cities, info on them must be part of his plan. He'll be traveling to clubs far and wide here. Gangs are VERY predatory, and use the slightest excuse to "engage" anyone they think they can get away with it at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 12:54 PM

15 posts, read 256,199 times
Default Hi there Fastfilm!

And thank you for valid information, I did not know of the recruting that is going on for obvious reasons, however - are you refering to her son might be recruted? And if so, how do they do it? Can people be forced or threatened to be recruted? Excuse my english, I am european - not my first language.

I know that they are not glued to their territory, but - and follow me here, I am not being a ***** about this, this is to important to start discussing who is right or wrong - but do gang members aproach people for no reason? Ofcurse, with a bad day and lots of drugs inboards anyone can go crazy on random people. That CAN happen, and that's why it is important to keep ones eyes open, and leave when trouble is comming up.
But would a 19 year old boy be a target unless he has done something spesific to **** them off?
I am wondering. Because I feel safe in Hollywood, both me and my husband with shaved head and rock'n roll attitude..

Love, Mia

Old 03-29-2007, 01:42 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
It's not recruiting: they approach people for "no reason" other than to cause trouble or robbery. The musicians, although known to not be rich, frequently are carrying something stealable and could be seen as targets unless they are a bit street savvy like you and me.

My previous post merely was intended to inform that gangmembers and street hustlers don't necesarily look like the latest thug video, and are quite widespread here. A reality check for facts of life here.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,609 times
Freckleface,

I'm in the same boat you were last year. My son plans to attend Musician's Institute in the fall and we need to find him a place to live. How did your home search work out and do you have any wisdom to share about this, since you have already been through his first year there? Any advice you can share would be much appreciated.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 17,891 times
Freckle Face, I am very familar with the Burbank, California area. It is one of the safest cities around LA. There is a great police force here and it's a wonderful family city. Lots of people go to Hollywood for jobs or school. It's only a few miles to Hollywood. One thing I would do if it were my son would be to come out to Hollywood and check out the area. That way you would feel so much better sending him off.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:13 AM

103 posts, read 261,439 times
Mother, don't let him go there.
Many bad people from LA move up to Oregon. Either we get whites who are fleeing LA or Hispanic gang-bangers who kill each other in our once quiet neighborhoods. They are so upsetting, I warn you from experience. We never used to have all these problems - now they are very depressing.
LOOK at the LA Police Department's Most Wanted list.
Tell him to find another school.
Even our most liberal are now working to send these largely uneducated and often drug-dealing people home.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:20 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Make sure he goes with a car and he should be fine.

This will help him live in a safer neighborhood, keep him from walking the streets, be able to work in a safer area, and just keep him from most of the bad stuff.

He just needs to learn how to not gawk, avoid bad situations, and have some streetsmarts and he'll be fine.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,476 times
Hi! I don't know if this thread is still active but I am in a similar situation as FreckleFace and wanted some feedback.

I am a 19 F from Northern CA going to MI in Spring and just wanted a good recommendation of someone from the area of the right apartment complex to live in. I want to be as close as possible (with a mile or two) and just wanted any feedback on places such as:

McCadden Apartments 1523 Pl.
Portobello Apartments 1791 N Sycamore Ave.
Cherokee Apartments 1733 N. Cherokee Ave
Orange Apartments 1769 N. Orange Dr
Le Mirage Apartments 1220 Las Palmas Dr.
The Sands Apartments 7220 Hollywood Blvd.
Sunshine City Apartments 4141 Santa Monica Blvd.

or if there are any other places close that I am missing.

Safety is of course a priority, but just looking for some feedback and recommendations on the different complexes close by.
I have a car and a bike and am looking to stay under the 1000 range for a studio/one bedroom or the 1200 for a two bedroom.

I am excited to come experience the real city and think I can handle it, just want to make it out somewhat alive So which place is best?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:56 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreckleFace View Post
My son will be 19 next fall and has his heart set on going to school at Musician Institue in Hollywood (1655 McCadden Pl). We are from NH so he is not used to the city. The school gives out a list of several apartment building and hostels. I read about all the gangs violence in LA. I am concerned about letting him go there. He won't have a car.

Does anyone know anything about these neighborhood or apartments.

McCadden Apts. 1523 N. McCadden Place, 90028 (.2 mi from school)
Cherokee Apts. 1733 N. Cherokee Ave, 90028 (.2 mi from school)
USA Hostels, 1624 Schrader Blvd, 90028 (.4 mi from school)
Orange Apts. 1769 N. Orange Dr. LA, 90028 (.5 mi from school)
LeMirage Apts. 1220 N. Las Palmas Ave, LA, 90038 (.6 mi from school)
Protobello Apts. 1791 N. Sycamore Ave. 90028 (.6 mi from school)
The Sands Apts. 7220 Hollywood Blvd. LA, 90046 (.7 mi from school)
Barnsdall Court Apts. 1632 N. Normandie Ave, LA, 90027 (2.5mi from school)
Sunshine City Apts. 4141 Santa Monica Blvd. 90029 (3.6 mi from school)
Rampart Palace Apt. 446 S. Rampart Blvd. LA, 90057 (5.9 mi from school)

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Carry the guitar in an old gig bag not it`s shiny case and think about getting a bike,very hard to stop a kid on a mountain bike.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Carry the guitar in an old gig bag not it`s shiny case and think about getting a bike,very hard to stop a kid on a mountain bike.
Tell that to this guy

YouTube - NYPD Officer Body Checks Biker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles