Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Hate crimes in LA county, overblown media or reality, bowling alley employee, need to get armed in Los Angeles, home defense, home invasion, no carry permits in the city, firearms

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That is a crime. It's called "brandishing" and it's a misdemeanor.
I'm aware, hence the reason I said "If you buy a gun and are deliberately flashing it to get people to keep from bothering you, then you'll be a target on account that you're p*ssing people off.", not to mention, as you pointed out, the misdemeanor. Anyone looking to buy a gun just to carry it around and show it off is asking for trouble. Los Angeles isn't, and never was, part of the wild west

Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 22,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Sorry but I find this thread contrived & suspect. The OP posts 2 stories involving racial gang activity over the past 3 years as justification for carrying a weapon. If you are not a gang member it is very unlikely that harm will happen to you. I am not even aware of gang activity near Hollywood & Vermont [heavily Asian\ Anglo\ Latino].

What is this real motive of this thread? And after reading City-Data for a long time why do you now post? I smell a troll
As mentioned, my post is long, but worth reading.
If you had read it, you would have known that my current living arrangement (around Hollywood/ Vermont) is temporary.

I'm just aware of what's going on. The man killed was working at the Alley for eight years, was a father and had reportedly no gang affiliation.
The "argument" to not carry yourself like gangbanger and you won't be treated as such (which often means death) is simply outdated. Innocent citizens are getting killed. If you do not have worries, great for you, but there are plenty of people who walk in constant paranoia because of this trend of hate crimes. If you just do not want to understand, then don't post.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPLayer View Post
As mentioned, my post is long, but worth reading.
If you had read it, you would have known that my current living arrangement (around Hollywood/ Vermont) is temporary.

I'm just aware of what's going on. The man killed was working at the Alley for eight years, was a father and had reportedly no gang affiliation.
The "argument" to not carry yourself like gangbanger and you won't be treated as such (which often means death) is simply outdated. Innocent citizens are getting killed. If you do not have worries, great for you, but there are plenty of people who walk in constant paranoia because of this trend of hate crimes. If you just do not want to understand, then don't post.
I agree that the innocent get killed when lunatic gang members start shooting at each other like cowboys & little kids get caught in the cross fire. Gang areas are dangerous primarily for these senseless shooting & drug trafficking. The number of homicides in LA attributed to gangs is significant but these criminals do not intentionally shoot at non-gang members. People who live in gang areas need to be quite aware of their surroundings & for being in the wrong place as the wrong time. But most Angelenos don't live in gang neighborhoods.

Your assertion that "Hate Crimes all over L.A County" is incorrect. Please refer to crime stats to proof your point that will be rather difficult since crime continues to decline in LA. The majority of hate crimes are assaults on gays or swastikas on Jewish temples. Gangs hate each other over nothing more than where they happen to live

Old 01-29-2009, 10:38 PM

195 posts, read 741,441 times
Quote:
Sorry but I find this thread contrived & suspect. The OP posts 2 stories involving racial gang activity over the past 3 years as justification for carrying a weapon. If you are not a gang member it is very unlikely that harm will happen to you. I am not even aware of gang activity near Hollywood & Vermont [heavily Asian\ Anglo\ Latino].

What is this real motive of this thread? And after reading City-Data for a long time why do you now post? I smell a troll
Pay attention to current affair!
I heard that last year, the Latino gangs targeted all African-Americans...non-gang members were also targeted. You have to understand what other people have gone through in a high crime and racially tensed areas.
To be precised, if the Latino gangs target everybody in the African-American community. I call this a civil war!
What is the real motive of your comment right here?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
Pay attention to current affair!
I heard that last year, the Latino gangs targeted all African-Americans...non-gang members were also targeted. You have to understand what other people have gone through in a high crime and racially tensed areas.
To be precised, if the Latino gangs target everybody in the African-American community. I call this a civil war!
What is the real motive of your comment right here?
Please provide documentation & cite your sources. Otherwise it is mere sensationalism unrelated to reality.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 PM

195 posts, read 741,441 times
Quote:
Please provide documentation & cite your sources. Otherwise it is mere sensationalism unrelated to reality.
I don't think I will have time to search it again!
I read it in the New York Times as well as the CBS News last year!
If you pay attention to the current affair or you really are interested to find out the truth. You should do your research!
This is a civil war!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:16 PM

493 posts, read 665,190 times
I wasn't aware you couldn't get a concealed weapons permit in Los Angeles. Better to keep the guns in the hands of the criminals right?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
I don't think I will have time to search it again!
I read it in the New York Times as well as the CBS News last year!
If you pay attention to the current affair or you really are interested to find out the truth. You should do your research!
This is a civil war!
Great cop out either back up what you post or risk being ignored as a foolish troll

Old 01-30-2009, 02:01 AM

11 posts, read 22,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
I wasn't aware you couldn't get a concealed weapons permit in Los Angeles. Better to keep the guns in the hands of the criminals right?

Very disturbing indeed and evidence that the liberal agenda is BS.

From what I read from both (Major Media and Independents) CPA (Canoga Park Alabama) has been the main aggressor in committing racially motivated crimes against blacks in the SFV.

Cheryl Green (14 yr old killed by a then relatively unknown gang (204th Street) is another example of the pure hate. As a darker-skinned Latino w/ some black heritage.that worries me. Add "young" and "male" to the equation and i feel i am a target. It's fascinating how people in all the major cities downplay the tensions that are going on. It's not only in L.A, but it stands out b/c of
the willingness to kill innocents. Not while trying to kill a rival, the attack is solely aimed at the citizen b/c the person's "too dark".

Old 01-30-2009, 04:05 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPLayer View Post
Very disturbing indeed and evidence that the liberal agenda is BS.

From what I read from both (Major Media and Independents) CPA (Canoga Park Alabama) has been the main aggressor in committing racially motivated crimes against blacks in the SFV.

Cheryl Green (14 yr old killed by a then relatively unknown gang (204th Street) is another example of the pure hate. As a darker-skinned Latino w/ some black heritage.that worries me. Add "young" and "male" to the equation and i feel i am a target. It's fascinating how people in all the major cities downplay the tensions that are going on. It's not only in L.A, but it stands out b/c of
the willingness to kill innocents. Not while trying to kill a rival, the attack is solely aimed at the citizen b/c the person's "too dark".
There have been a handful of incidents of Hispanic gangmembers killing innocent blacks. There has also been a handful of MUCH LESS publicized incidents of Black gangmembers killing innocent Latinos. Google the story of 3 year old Kaitelyn Avila who was killed by a gunshot wound to the chest by a Black P. Stones gangmember..it'll be a little harder to find than the Jamiel Shaw or Cheryl Green articles, but it's out there.

My point is, Mexicans/-Americans are just another group of humans. There's bad apples like in every other group. There's Mexicans that don't like Blacks, just like there's Blacks that don't like Mexicans. It's usually the gangbangers that do something stupid, and even that's rare. The normal, regular people just go about their lives.

Even though there isn't as many Blacks in LA(many leaving for greener pastures along with other groups), there are still plenty living just fine in LA.

If there was really a "green light" on Blacks by Mexican gangs, there'd be a lot more than the few incidents people bring up repeatedly.
I mean think of ALL the Mexican gangbangers out there. And just a handful of incidents?
And they're not slacking either. They're still killing each other, just like Blacks are killing each other.
It's just really hyped up. There is tensions in the communities that share many neighborhoods, just like the Koreans and Blacks, Jews and Blacks in Crown Heights, Italians and Irish in old New York. It's just hyped up because the public is fascinated by the media's depiction of a race war in the ghetto. Also hyped in the middle of a lot of Anti-Mexican sentiment related to the illegal immigration problem.

If you're worried about Mexicans, "mano", LA's the wrong place to be.
You'd have a much better chance of getting attacked by a Mexican gang if you looked Mexican.
Just don't go being stupid waving a gun around, or dressing like a gangmember. But even then, if you look Black, you'd have more chance of getting hit up by Black gangmembers.

Long reply, I know, but I'm sick of this Mexiphobia.

Last edited by antialphabet; 01-30-2009 at 04:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles