Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:58 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,765,713 times

Advertisements

So after going I graduate from California State Univeristy Northridge I plan to move to Long Beach, CA. Since Northridge is suburban, and I have already lived in a rural and ex-urban community I want to try urban. I plan to have one kid one day, so I am hoping for a safe neighborhood. I am probably going to making around $70,000 as a city planner. Also, I plan to keep my future wife at home. And my parents told me that whatever my down payment is that they would be willing to pay that. I am also hoping to find a condo or house I can own in some urban part of Long Beach. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 06:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
70000 would be pushing it in the first place. my family makes a little bit more and we're pinching plenty of pennies paying average rent in the area(which will be cheaper than any mortgage after taxes, insurance, and maintenance. hoas on condos in the area are also very expensive generally)

as far as safe urban long beach, downtown, east arts district/bluff park area, naples, and belmont shore/belmont heights are all urban or semi-urban and have housing available

Old 12-06-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
70000 would be pushing it in the first place. my family makes a little bit more and we're pinching plenty of pennies paying average rent in the area(which will be cheaper than any mortgage after taxes, insurance, and maintenance. hoas on condos in the area are also very expensive generally)

as far as safe urban long beach, downtown, east arts district/bluff park area, naples, and belmont shore/belmont heights are all urban or semi-urban and have housing available
so $70,000 is cutting it close? well, then i guess ill be cutting it close.

so how is long beach? the only bad side i see is the normal competive and not-so-friendly tempo from people in the area and the traffic which ill probably get used to. and then of course there r the gangs and poverty, but that can be avoided.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So after going I graduate from California State Univeristy Northridge I plan to move to Long Beach, CA. Since Northridge is suburban, and I have already lived in a rural and ex-urban community I want to try urban. I plan to have one kid one day, so I am hoping for a safe neighborhood. I am probably going to making around $70,000 as a city planner. Also, I plan to keep my future wife at home. And my parents told me that whatever my down payment is that they would be willing to pay that. I am also hoping to find a condo or house I can own in some urban part of Long Beach. Thanks for the help.
Reality check: City planner? Planning what? Pretty much the entire LA metropolitan area is already built out.

And yesterday you said you wanted suburbia in Agoura Hills. Now you're saying you want urban Long Beach. It's getting hard for us to keep up.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:14 AM

916 posts, read 3,701,263 times
Long Beach has very urban parts and very suburban parts. It's a big city with different feeling neighborhoods. Some are extremely safe and some are not. Whatever you're looking for you'll find in LB however 70k for a family may not be easy in the desirable parts of Long Beach.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Reality check: City planner? Planning what? Pretty much the entire LA metropolitan area is already built out.

And yesterday you said you wanted suburbia in Agoura Hills. Now you're saying you want urban Long Beach. It's getting hard for us to keep up.
well, i want to experience living in all the different types of communties. i have lived in an ex-urban community and rural one. i thought northridge would give me a taste of urban living, but it wont. so i want to live in long beach. and yeah, a city planner does more than building. they also fix and keep areas nice, we follow what the community wants. and cities constantly need new ones that know how to develop correctly.

yeah, i dont want my future wife to be working. i plan to get a 2 bedroom, 1 bath condo in a safe urban neighborhood in long beach, ca. my kid will be an interdistrict transfer to a smaller and safer school. and like i said i will be making $70,000 when i become a associate planner (by that time ill have one kid and a wife).

so will it be possible to get into a safe urban neighborhood condo and have a wife not working to stay home with the one kid in long beach, ca?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM

916 posts, read 3,701,263 times
Quote:
well, i want to experience living in all the different types of communties. i have lived in an ex-urban community and rural one. i thought northridge would give me a taste of urban living, but it wont. so i want to live in long beach. and yeah, a city planner does more than building. they also fix and keep areas nice, we follow what the community wants. and cities constantly need new ones that know how to develop correctly.

yeah, i dont want my future wife to be working. i plan to get a 2 bedroom, 1 bath condo in a safe urban neighborhood in long beach, ca. my kid will be an interdistrict transfer to a smaller and safer school. and like i said i will be making $70,000 when i become a associate planner (by that time ill have one kid and a wife).

so will it be possible to get into a safe urban neighborhood condo and have a wife not working to stay home with the one kid in long beach, ca?
Yes. You won't have tons of discretionary income, but you could manage.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,420,150 times
Quote:

Supporting a family on 70,000 will probably be tough. Why do you have everything so planned out already? How do you know you'll get that job? What if you get sick of Long Beach? Who says you get married by then?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
If you're interested in living in Long Beach you might as well go to Cal State Long Beach-- home of the Dirtbags. CSULB is a really nice campus and in a nice suburban neighborhood, but not too far from Belmont Shores and downtown LB. I actually have a photo tour of CSULB, haven't posted it yet, maybe if I get around to it.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM

well, here are my choices:

1) Northridge, Los Angeles, Ca (urban-suburban) - Agoura Hills, CA (suburban)
2) Northridge, Los Angeles, Ca (urban-suburban) - Long Beach, CA (urban)
3) Northridge, Los Angeles, Ca (urban-suburban) - Glendale, Ca (suburban-urban)

According to my u.s. history teacher that I had last year, who happens to be from Northridge, she says that in the 50s-70s it used to be a suburb of LA where ppl would commute to downtown LA (urban). and she says that long beach and many of the communites in the area all started as suburbs at one point. she says now northridge is like a little mexico and is suburban-urbanish. she says its not as urban as the downtown, but it is a suburb of the downtown and very urban. so its suburban-urban, but she would say anywhere in that city there's urban even though some parts may be a little more suburban or rural. she suggested to me that i dont live in the area and to go live in ventura area. she thinks the LA county area just looks all the same mushed together and is horrible place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles