Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 22,265 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, thanks so much for helping me out. I live in Philadelphia, PA and I recently got the oppurtunity for an internship in Long Beach this summer. in about mid-June me and my two friends will be driving down and spending two months there. Right now I am having a lot of trouble finding a place to live. We've been looking at a whole bunch of places but most of the are not good enough. My best choice right now is a place called Orange Terrace Apartments on 698 Orange Ave. Let me know what you think about it. Anyways any other suggestions would be great, here are my requirements:

Studio or 1 bedroom apartment
Month to month lease
Unfurnished
Under 1K/mo.
Perferably a patio or balcony
Air conditioning

Thank you so much guys, let me know what you think.

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 10:18 AM

2,071 posts, read 11,993,480 times
Default 698 Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlaze2006 View Post
Hey guys, thanks so much for helping me out. I live in Philadelphia, PA and I recently got the oppurtunity for an internship in Long Beach this summer. in about mid-June me and my two friends will be driving down and spending two months there. Right now I am having a lot of trouble finding a place to live. We've been looking at a whole bunch of places but most of the are not good enough. My best choice right now is a place called Orange Terrace Apartments on 698 Orange Ave. Let me know what you think about it. Anyways any other suggestions would be great, here are my requirements:

Month to month lease
Unfurnished
Under 1K/mo.
Air conditioning

Josh
There was a thread in the Long Beach Forum (City-Data has since discontinued LB sub-forum) about 698 Orange. All posters, including me, agreed to stay away from that area. It is NOT a good area to live in. That's probably why you see the rents so low. You will have no problem finding a one-bedroom for $1,000. You may not find a studio that will allow 3 people, as 3 people may exceed occupant limitations. You will find alot of rentals on a month-to-month lease, but if an owner/manager is aware you only need the place for 2 months, we may not rent to you. Turn-over cost is too high and honestly, we are not a hotel. You will not need A/C in Long Beach. Good luck. Where are you doing your internship?

Paula Lynn

Old 03-15-2007, 10:18 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,299,349 times
Here's a helpful link to a website and the review of the apartment by previous renters.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...e-Terrace.html

You can use this to browse other apartments in the area as well - I noticed that some of the LBC apartment complexes rated 100%.

If you prefer bigger apartment complexes then this website works - I personally would prefer a smaller building probably because I grew up in single family houses.

Another option you have is to search craigslist, they have new apartment listings daily and you can now refine your search to just the specific area you are looking in. Another option is the Press Telegram or The Daily Breeze (classifieds for both).

If you like seafood then don't miss Bubba Gump's - it's right across from the aquarium. There is also a really cool bowling alley in LBC (the name seems to be slipping from memory - maybe some other locals on city-data can help me out here?).

Old 03-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Im doing my internship at a record label called the militia group, im really excited and ive never been to CA before! but thanks for the tips, I'll make sure not to tell anyone that I'm only planning on staying for 2 months. I've found some good listings on www.gazettes.com

should i try to stick to those smaller, less established listings?

Old 03-15-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Bowling Alley

Are you thinking of Cal-Bowl???

Another place to look on-line in "Gazettes.com" - it's a Long Beach paper; comes out on Mondays and Thursdays. Has an extensive classified for rentals.

Rent ratings, like the above poster mentioned, is a good source, but keep in mind most of the ratings are negative. Not many tenants who have been happy with their apartments post on the site. It seems to be a personality conflict between tenant and management.

Last edited by Paula Lynn; 03-15-2007 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-15-2007, 10:43 AM

Also, what areas should I be looking in and what areas should I stay away from?

Old 03-15-2007, 10:51 AM

It depends on what your interests are and what you can afford. Zip codes: 90802 is more in the downtown area. There are some great areas in downtown and not so great. 90803, 90814, 90808, 90815 and a large portion of 90804 are good. Stay away from 90805, 90806, 90813, 90810.

I sent you a PM, by the way.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:15 PM

6 posts, read 26,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlaze2006 View Post

Month to month lease
Unfurnished
Under 1K/mo.
Air conditioning

Josh

Parts of Long Beach are very nice, some not so good. Orange Avenue is a big street. Sorry I can't help you there. You could call the LB police and ask them where the high crime/low crime areas are. Belmont Shore might be a little pricey, bot it's really nice.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:02 PM

32 posts, read 267,888 times
I found a listing for a place that looks pretty decent, but they didn't provide the zip code. The address is 1511 E 1st St at Falcon Ave, in the Alamitos Beach area of Long Beach. If anyone knows about this neighborhood and it's safety, please let me know so I can (possibly) cross it off my list!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:46 AM

1511 1st Street, 90802, is good ......... however, parking is bad, bad, bad. Make sure you have a garage, otherwise, if you come home late at night or after 5-6 p.m., you may drive in circles for over 45 minutes looking for a parking space (I'm not kidding). Garages can rent for $100+ a month. lst Street has several 8 unit apartments, with possibly 4 garages, therefore, the extra charge for a garage. They are in demand! This area is in the 2nd District, and they are trying to create paid parking places for a monthly rent (some will only be temporary - like for a year or so). Check the Long Beach Press Telegram; (Long Beach Newspaper) there was an article a few days ago about the parking congestion and possible solutions for the 2nd District.

Last edited by Paula Lynn; 03-18-2007 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: Added addtional information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles