Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:21 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Don't even think about it!
That bad eh?

My wife loves Santa Barbara but since my sister lives in "The Valley", it doesn't seem we would be close enough to visit very often.

I've wondered if Ventura would be a good compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Not too many surprises in S. Ca.! I do love it though when there are a few sprinkles and the t.v. news goes on "STORM WATCH"! Gave you a rep by the way!
My partner was working at KABC when they started doing that. Being a N.M. native, he thought it was hilarious.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:43 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I have mixed feelings about it. I love the directness of the eastcoast, but I love the environment of the west. I raised my daughter out west, and she is a typical westcoaster: friendly, chipper, polite, more quiet, indirect, etc. She and I have our outs when I am so direct -- I just can't seem to get into that polite mode all the time.
I hear that I'm direct but polite. Lived my first 12 years in MI, next 30 years in PA with a year in NYC and OH,then eight in NM & now four years in WA. I think my directness is midwestern, definitely not PA (talk about hidden--try the PA Dutch.) When I return to PA I find the driver's incredibly angry and rude. I think it comes from overcrowded horriblly built roads. And not friendly and certainly not direct except in their rudeness on the road. Maybe eastcoast is NJ & NY? I was only a half hour from NJ and 1 1/2-2 hours from NYC.

I also love the environment of the west but most of my friends here have moved from somewhere else. I've scared the bejibbers out of two men in WA when I told them I thought they were interesting and would like to get to know them better. Horrors....now the one won't even say hi. The other's response when I invited him on a picnic was "I'm busy on Sunday" not even a polite thanks. I've gone contra dancing for a year. One guy asked me for the third time if it was my first time dancing. I replied "No Richard, in fact last winter when I was volunteering to take people's money you offered me your mittens." Honestly. Does the rain do something to their brains? I miss my male friends in New Mexico but I've never had so many female friends as here.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:58 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I hear that I'm direct but polite. Lived my first 12 years in MI, next 30 years in PA with a year in NYC and OH,then eight in NM & now four years in WA. I think my directness is midwestern, definitely not PA (talk about hidden--try the PA Dutch.) When I return to PA I find the driver's incredibly angry and rude. I think it comes from overcrowded horriblly built roads. And not friendly and certainly not direct except in their rudeness on the road. Maybe eastcoast is NJ & NY? I was only a half hour from NJ and 1 1/2-2 hours from NYC.

I also love the environment of the west but most of my friends here have moved from somewhere else. I've scared the bejibbers out of two men in WA when I told them I thought they were interesting and would like to get to know them better. Horrors....now the one won't even say hi. The other's response when I invited him on a picnic was "I'm busy on Sunday" not even a polite thanks. I've gone contra dancing for a year. One guy asked me for the third time if it was my first time dancing. I replied "No Richard, in fact last winter when I was volunteering to take people's money you offered me your mittens." Honestly. Does the rain do something to their brains? I miss my male friends in New Mexico but I've never had so many female friends as here.
I also started out in MI. Lived there till I was 22 actually. Did a 17 year turn in the South. Talk about subtle/undertones, sheeesh. You could never be sure where you were with people. I was a pastor while there. It took me years to figure out that when I was visiting in someones home, that when they asked me not to leave they really didn't mean it. I mean they wanted me to leave, but it was the Southern way to ask you to stay. If you stayed, then they would talk about you behind your back. "you know that preacher stayed an hour....." I was there all those years and still called a Yankee at least once a day. Now I am in New York City. I am often asked if I am from the mid-west, because I am too nice to be a New Yorker. Honestly the only time I get irritated with New Yorkers is when driving. I mean a nano-second after the light turns green someone is on their horn.
When I last visited my sister in LA in January, we got caught in a couple of typical bad traffic jams. I was very surprised that I didn't hear more horn blowing etc. They seemed to take it in stride.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:59 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Quote:
Mhogan10010: When I last visited my sister in LA in January, we got caught in a couple of typical bad traffic jams. I was very surprised that I didn't hear more horn blowing etc. They seemed to take it in stride.
You know, I hadn't thought about that for awhile, but you're right. I do recall moving from the eastcoast to the westcoast and being surprised at the lack of horns. In fact, I had gone to use my horn, and then stopped once I realized how quiet it was on the road!! Interesting observation. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:02 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
That's true. I only ever hear horns if the light turns green and the person doesn't move, or that sort of thing. And then it's pretty much just a quick tap, like a reminder.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:05 AM

30 posts, read 151,817 times
okay you guys im from the east cost and live in the south and people here arnt really rude. people here wave say hi and some of my friends from ny and nj say that it was weird how they do that because they werent used to that up north. now if go up north its totaly diffrent because i went there to visit my hometown in ny and i noticed that the people there were miserable angry constantly honking there horn whereas it wasnt like that down south. but all in all i gotta say that i love ny no matter what.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:37 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
Went to boston and florida this week and noticed how angry the people seem to be compared to cali people.anyone else ever had this experience.the traffic in boston is a nightmare.I think it is worse than LA on 95.The people are really peed off up there and Floridas cubans are much worse than the mexicans as far as having a bad attitude and the world owes me a handout outlook.for those who complain about negative only posting on the LA board I have to say your a much better group that is all californians than the angry uptight east coasters.I dont know why but everyone I encountered seems to be pissed.Anyone else ever notice this or did I just grow to laid back after time on the left coast.My blood pressure started to boil just being around the people
I prefer east coast to LA. I found east coasters to be more polite and mannered. My blood never boils around Left coast or east coast. I must be laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles