Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

LA: luxury car dealership, conservative spending, salary range, risky move, job market

Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 PM

38 posts, read 50,584 times

Advertisements

Hello I am new to the forum, however I had some general questions about moving to LA, I am currently working for a luxury car dealership in Tennessee (for 7 years now), and will be relocating to LA within the next couple of months. My question is how much does a person need to make to live comfortably? First, I have no car payment or debt, I am very conservative with my spending. That being said, I'm not moving to LA to sit in the apartment and still watch it on TV. However, I am willing to make necessary sacrifices in the beginning to make the move. I have a decent amount of money in savings for the purpose of making the move. I am also single. I would like to live in the downtown area or Hollywood.

The next question is, how plentiful are the jobs right now? I have an Associate's Degree and as mentioned a heavy background in management in the automotive field (7 years, I am in my mid 20's). I have done research on Monster.com and Indeed, but just wanted another gauge as to how many jobs are available in the recommended salary range.

I have been anticipating this move for sometime now. I have been there several times over the years, and I adore it. Sure, it has its drawbacks, but so does EVERY OTHER CITY, LA just has better weather (IMO). I know some may think it is crazy to leave a stable, good paying job just to move to SoCal, but I am not longing for a wife, 2 kids, and a white picket fence, my American Dream is a bit different. I appreciate any input on this, and look forward to the responses. Thank, David.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
My question is how much does a person need to make to live comfortably? I am very conservative with my spending...I'm not moving to LA to sit in the apartment and still watch it on TV.
I have a decent amount of money in savings
how plentiful are the jobs right now?.

some may think it is crazy to leave a stable, good paying job
Are you relocating without a job?

How much will you make or how much do you think you can make based on the research you have performed?

How much money do you have saved?

It would seem like a risky move to make in these economic times. And besides, the weather in Tennessee is pretty nice, I'm just over the border from you in Huntsville.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:42 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
The next question is, how plentiful are the jobs right now? I have an Associate's Degree and as mentioned a heavy background in management in the automotive field (7 years, I am in my mid 20's). I have done research on Monster.com and Indeed, but just wanted another gauge as to how many jobs are available in the recommended salary range.
Dude, I hate to tell you this, but the job market here is awful. It's worse than awful for car dealers. Call a few and ask for their opinion if you don't believe me. The strange clicking sound you may hear on the other end of the line is the sound of a revolver being loaded.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:06 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
Dude, I hate to tell you this, but the job market here is awful. It's worse than awful for car dealers. Call a few and ask for their opinion if you don't believe me. The strange clicking sound you may hear on the other end of the line is the sound of a revolver being loaded.
that is funny in the saddest possible way

Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Don't do it. Wait and see what happens with the economy. You might get someone to rent you an apartment - I assume lots of landlords are all desperate, too - but why risk losing all your savings? You're single and young - LA will be there in another year. Or try to line up a job first. Seriously, people all over LA are losing their jobs, facing reduced hours, and if they're not, they're worried it will happen any day. I love LA, can see why you'd want to move, but right now - more than any other time in most of our lifetimes - it is not worth it to take that kind of risk. Forget sitting around in an apartment watching TV because you don't have money to go out - you could quickly blow through your savings and end up not having money for cable, let alone an apartment. Try lining up a job in advance if you can, but otherwise just sit tight until things get at least a little better. Especially if you have health insurance at your current job. Seriously, people are getting laid off left and right.

None of us can tell you how much money you'd need to make to live comfortably, as we don't know what you think of as "comfortable." Craigslist has apartment ads - check them out to get a sense of rents in the kind of place you'd like to live in in Hollywood and downtown. Most bars and restaurants now have websites, if you want a sense of what it costs for a night out. Movies seem like they average around $11, but since I'm cheap it's been awhile since I've been. If you have a car and plan on using it you'll probably have to pay extra for a parking spot in either of those area, so factor that in, too. On the plus side, there's lots of free fun things to do in LA - both outdoors and in - so IF you can afford the home and the food (and insurance - don't forget about earthquake insurance in CA) you can go cheaply on the other stuff. Public transportation is cheaper in LA than it is in many places, too, especially if you get a month pass.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:20 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
i was just thinking of the news report i heard in the last week or two citing the large number of car dealerships and ancillary businesses that have closed here recently, and was going to do a quick search to find an article to link for the OP's reference. thanks for saving me the trouble; your post says it all.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:37 PM

38 posts, read 50,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Don't do it. Wait and see what happens with the economy. You might get someone to rent you an apartment - I assume lots of landlords are all desperate, too - but why risk losing all your savings? You're single and young - LA will be there in another year. Or try to line up a job first. Seriously, people all over LA are losing their jobs, facing reduced hours, and if they're not, they're worried it will happen any day. I love LA, can see why you'd want to move, but right now - more than any other time in most of our lifetimes - it is not worth it to take that kind of risk. Forget sitting around in an apartment watching TV because you don't have money to go out - you could quickly blow through your savings and end up not having money for cable, let alone an apartment. Try lining up a job in advance if you can, but otherwise just sit tight until things get at least a little better. Especially if you have health insurance at your current job. Seriously, people are getting laid off left and right.

None of us can tell you how much money you'd need to make to live comfortably, as we don't know what you think of as "comfortable." Craigslist has apartment ads - check them out to get a sense of rents in the kind of place you'd like to live in in Hollywood and downtown. Most bars and restaurants now have websites, if you want a sense of what it costs for a night out. Movies seem like they average around $11, but since I'm cheap it's been awhile since I've been. If you have a car and plan on using it you'll probably have to pay extra for a parking spot in either of those area, so factor that in, too. On the plus side, there's lots of free fun things to do in LA - both outdoors and in - so IF you can afford the home and the food (and insurance - don't forget about earthquake insurance in CA) you can go cheaply on the other stuff. Public transportation is cheaper in LA than it is in many places, too, especially if you get a month pass.

I am beginning to agree here...I am considering continuing my education and obtain a BA, then move in about a year and a half. As much as I hate to put it off, I have to be smart about this. I don't think LA would be great to live in having to struggle every day just to get by. This would also give the economy sometime to rebound. Having a BA and a (hopefully) rebounding economy sounds like a better plan than trying to wing it on a so-so hourly job and using up my savings just to make ends meet (let alone have fun). Plus, I can always come out and visit in the meantime. The beach and weather are great, but if I'm struggling, it probably won't be that great. L.A. will still be there, and it will be a better time to move there. Thanks for all the input, I still plan on moving there now more than ever, but there is a time for everything! Why is it the answer that is the best for you isn't always the one you want to hear??

Old 02-15-2009, 02:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i was just thinking of the news report i heard in the last week or two citing the large number of car dealerships and ancillary businesses that have closed here recently,

Courtesy Chevrolet, one of the first car dealerships to open in Thousand Oaks, will close (http://www.sfvbj.com/industry_article.asp?aID=49229896.2576236.1742494. 8398422.5223246.624&aID2=134029 - broken link)

Westoaks Chrysler Dodge in Thousand Oaks shuts : Retail : Ventura County Star

Old 02-15-2009, 06:22 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,600 times
Moxieman,

You definitely should finish school there---to struggle in California would be a mess..

What part of Tennessee are you in?

I have considered moving to the Nashville Area....I am in the Bay Area of California...

You don't move to California without a Good Job--really anywhere..but especially here....

Good luck

Old 02-15-2009, 06:25 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,600 times
Charles,

I have read good things about Huntsville...I have a friend who grew up there, he lives
in Nashville now...

A client of mine told me that Fairhope,AL is the Sausalito of Alabama...she made me want to
take a trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles