Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 31,647 times

Advertisements

Hello, all -

Could you please give me information about the different parts of Pasadena? I have never been, and my husband and I are exploring the possibility of moving there (relocating to the L.A. area for work in the next 1-2 years). We have two kids (4, 7), so school district is extremely important. We would likely spend <$1.2M on home. Looking for safe, wonderful neighborhoods, not on busy highways/roads, with decent access to the light rail commuter downtown (info on commute also appreciated). Thanks so much!!!

Annie
P.S. I have also heard to look in Calabasas??
Thanks!
:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
You want to look at South Pasadena (separate city from Pasadena), San Marino, or La Cañada-Flintridge. All three are adjacent to Pasadena, with safe, wonderful neighborhoods, with outstanding school systems. Pasadena Unified School District is not known for its excellence.

For light rail, South Pasadena is your best bet because it has a station on the Gold Line.

If you are working in Pasadena or downtown LA, living in Calabasas wouldn't be smart.

Last edited by timelesschild; 02-16-2009 at 12:28 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
I agree. South Pasadena is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
Yep I'll third the South Pasadena suggestions. You will love it.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
You want to look at South Pasadena (separate city from Pasadena), San Marino, or La Cañada-Flintridge. All three are adjacent to Pasadena, with safe, wonderful neighborhoods, but with outstanding school systems. Pasadena Unified School District is not known for its excellence.

For light rail, South Pasadena is your best bet because it has a station on the Gold Line.

If you are working in Pasadena or downtown LA, living in Calabasas wouldn't be smart.
Agree, depending on those three cities being reasonably close to your job (don't live far from work in So Cal). You want the city of South Pasadena instead of Pasadena for the good schools. South Pasadena has its own light rail stop to downtown Los Angeles and to Pasadena's Old Town.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I'll join the echo chamber: South Pasadena is ideal. South Pasadena is its own distinct city. There are lots of families, and many people move there specifically for the schools.

Other benefits of South Pas: it's beautiful! You see it all the time on TV and in the movies, as there are many films, commercials, and shows shot there. There are beautiful, tree-lined streets, very attractive houses, and a wonderful Thursday evening farmer's market. There's a very strong sense of community, and the city as a whole really supports and embraces its schools. Not to get too gushing about it, but South Pas is the perfect family town on many levels.

You could live anywhere in South Pas and easily access its light rail station; the city itself isn't that big and everything is walkable, and for those days you just want to zip home there are free shuttle buses that circulate between the neighborhoods and the station.

As far as neighborhoods in South Pasadena, you really can't go wrong. You will definitely be able to find something nice in your price range.

Pasadena is great, too, but the public schools have more problems. If you live in South Pas you'll still be close enough to take advantage of all of its great amenities (Pasadena and South Pas are adjoining) but be that much closer to downtown and still have a very highly-regarded public school system. Also, many people in Pasadena - at least those who can afford it - send their children to private schools, so it would be less likely that the neighborhood kids would go to the same school.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:57 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
South Pas seems to be a notable underachiever in terms of National Merit Finalists...weak schools or weak academic focus of kids (and parents)?

San Marino seems solid on NatlMerit metric...but is ~70% Asian...arguably not representative of population of any top 5 college...nor any relevant workplace

LCF also seems solid in terms of Natl Merit Finalists...but has a population more representative of leading colleges/workplaces

Would also analyze what % of students at each HS gain admission to top 5 colleges to better sense academic focus and achievement of the kids...and the schools

Most data are easily manipulated by school admins, realtors, current residents, etc who universally proclaim "great" schools to justify home values, property taxes and ample paychecks for various school employees....

Old 02-16-2009, 03:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

Would also analyze what % of students at each HS gain admission to top 5 colleges to better sense academic focus and achievement of the kids...and the schools
Please explain where one can find your secret resource to finding out how many students get into Yale, Stanford, Princeton, etc...
Or do you just call and ask those same administrators you said manipulated data and ask where their students go to college

Old 02-16-2009, 03:44 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
It's true that San Marino has better schools than South Pasadena. National Merit Finalists can come from any school anywhere - I was one - and trust me, I did NOT go to a good high school.

San Marino is also very, very, very, very clean. It's absolutely gorgeous! Its public parks are wonderful - check out Lacy Park. I think South Pasadena has a better downtown to it, though. Really, South Pasadena reminds me a little of Berkeley.

South Pasadena has gorgeous old Craftsman houses, many in the classic dark Craftsman colors, and large trees. San Marino has more of a variety of housing styles (lots of pastel colors) and different-type trees. It's hard to describe quantitatively, but you can definitely tell the difference.

In terms of politics, interestingly, the Presidential vote in San Marino went 70% McCain; whereas the Presidential vote in South Pas went 70% Obama. (Golly, I hope we don't get into any long political rants after I mention this ).... just pointing out the differences.

I know far less about La Cañada-Flintridge, but it's definitely worth keeping in mind.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
South Pasadena feels more like a self-contained small town, while San Marino feels more like a suburb. San Marino has fewer actual amenities within city limits - you'll have to drive more, rather than walk to the corner soda shop (yes, South Pasadena actually has an old-fashioned soda fountain, on route 66 no less.) You'd also be farther from light rail. Lacy Park is very nice, but so is South Pasadena's Garfield Park. Check out both places and see what you prefer (or what house fits your needs), but if you're looking for the whole package - including easy light rail access - then you'd be better off in South Pasadena.

La Canada-Flintridge is also nice, but again, not on light rail.

South Pasadena families and schools are definitely not "weak" on academics or academic focus. I don't know what hsw is so worked up about. The differences in quality between San Marino and South Pasadena from a school point of view are not all that significant. Your children will get plenty of academic support (from parents, schools, and larger community in general) and opportunity in either school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles