Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:34 PM

556 posts, read 763,204 times

Advertisements

One of my co-workers got a one bedroom apartmen tin West Hollywood for I believe $1,800. Nothing special, but it was nice enough.

She moved from Santa Monica where she was paying $2,500 for a one bedroom. That is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
You have nothing to worry about. There are many thousands of young people in L.A.:

1. who work in the entertainment industry
2. whose parents have plenty of money
3. who aren't too bright

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 02-20-2009 at 08:36 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 AM

419 posts, read 1,450,047 times
I actually feel bad for kids who taste the sweet life without really knowing what it is like to earn or go without. It's often the case that they are stuck chasing happiness in material things... To AnUnidentifiedMale's point, that's ironically where LA perhaps earned its reputation. And it appears to be perpetuated by someone from the outside.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:49 PM
DV1 DV1 started this thread

5 posts, read 11,520 times
i have lived in la before...I'm not some star struck teen or anything.. i just came on asking advice.. i assume we can just close this thread down because its going no where... sorry about the inconvenience

Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
It is very possible for you to find a place in WeHo at your price range. You'll just have to lower your expectations of what that affords you. It'll be small, basically a bedroom with a bath and a kitchen along one wall. But a decent complex in a good area. It's an easy web search. What will benefit you is there are short-term leases available, like 3 months. That will give you time to get your bearings and really figure out what you really need as opposed to what, well, everyone wants. In that time, you might consider a roommate, a student perhaps. Or rent a room in a student household. Your neighborhood options will greatly expand.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:24 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV1 View Post
i have lived in la before...I'm not some star struck teen or anything.. i just came on asking advice.. i assume we can just close this thread down because its going no where... sorry about the inconvenience
Aw, DV, don't take our razzing too hard. It's just that you become jaded after awhile. EVERYONE in the WORLD, or so it seems, wants a nice place to live in Santa Monica or a similar California beach-y town, wants a job in show-biz and thinks it will be easy. There's a lot of competition out there. So, keep your eyes open, be flexible and lower your expectations a bit. They can expand as you find your feet. Good luck to you.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:13 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Look in Burbank, Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Hollywood (NOT West Hollywood), or Echo Park. I'm currently living in a studio in southern Burbank near Toluca Lake for $850/month. Now granted this is, as Bunjee stated, basically a bedroom with a small kitchen, closet, and bathroom, but it's just me living here, it's a nice building, and a safe area. Is this my ideal apartment where I plan to be for the rest of my life. No way. But I'm happy here for now and I'm sure that you'll be able to to find something a little better if your budget is $1,300/month. I wish I had $1300/month to spend on rent; I'd probably be living in Los Feliz or Silver Lake right now instead of Burbank.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 AM

28 posts, read 67,127 times
Why ask here when Craigslist is just a click away? I've found that 850-1300 in Santa Monica is the norm for a 1 br. Where do pepple get off on offering all this negativity? Just the facts from me.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuincy View Post
Where do pepple get off on offering all this negativity?
It's the LA city-data forum. You better get used to [excessive] negativity from people who rant on this forum more as a form of therapy, rather than to provide accurate information.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuincy View Post
Why ask here when Craigslist is just a click away? I've found that 850-1300 in Santa Monica is the norm for a 1 br. Where do pepple get off on offering all this negativity? Just the facts from me.
A lot of the cheap apartment listings on Craigslist are scams. Your best bet for finding a cheap apartment in LA is to drive around the area you want to live in and check out the places with the "For Rent" signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles