Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times

Advertisements

Compton is similar to Detroit.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:10 PM

241 posts, read 940,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
for garbage check out the area around 8th and alvarado or santa monica and vine. no streets in HP or downey look like that . trust me.
don't know about now last time went around that area was not so much trash couple months ago.
Yeah thats in or next to westlake and that area is like one of the rundown areas of downtown area.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 PM

9 posts, read 26,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I love how people are saying..."just don't start anything" and "just mind your own business". LOL. So ridiculous that anyone would consider an area safe while issuing those qualifying statements. I live in a crummy area of the Valley and people don't describe it in those terms.

Here is the real deal....Compton used to be one of the worst areas of LA....the NWA stuff at the time was pretty dead on....in fact, Boyz N the Hood was praised for its realistic portrayl.

Things are not that bad anymore. There are middle class areas of Compton even.

That said, most people would not choose to live there. While its not as bad as say 103rd and Grape or maybe Western and MLK(BTW the two very worst most dangerous areas of Los Angeles where no joke if you break down at minimum you will be robbed, but likely much worse) Compton still is not a great area. I'd compare it in quality of neighborhoods roughly to East Los Angeles....mix of blue collar middle class and poor, lots of gang activity, relatively little random crime compared to the overall level of crime.

One thing I will agree with is that there are areas that are nicer overall where I think you are far more likely to be a target of a crime of opportunity. In particular, North Hollywood north of Sherman Way and East of the 170 and also Sun Valley is an area I actively seek to avoid. I also do not like and stay away from the unicorporated county area between Huntington Park and City of Los Angeles boundaries. That area is really desolate and not good.
The only thing good about Western & MLK is the Popeyes over there LOL! Nah but seriously, I just came back from LA 2 weeks ago visiting family out there, and while there, my cousin took me on a "ghetto tour" of LA lol, and we basically touched every part from North Hollywood to East LA to Carson, while stopping through Compton in the middle. Seriously, ya'll on here saying it's safe to live in Compton? Man give me what ya'll been smoking on seriously! The places I seen out here in LA makes me for once thankful for being born & raised in Baltimore! *waiting for someone to say that Baltimore is worse than Compton lol*

Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 AM

8 posts, read 24,911 times
I used to work in Compton as a mechanic when I lived in Long Beach. No one ever bothered me going to or from work, or when I went to the park to have lunch, but I didn't hang around after work either.

As others have posted here, the city isn't known for being a safe city to live in, but like in other cities if you're a local or work there, mind your own business, and be smart you can pass through w/ less chance of incident.

I personally would avoid driving through Compton at night unless you have to be there- generally more crime happens at night.

Geno

Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 AM

829 posts, read 2,955,924 times
hey joey, i live in maryland on the eastern shore, and am going to have to disagree with you...

i have spent a lot of time in l.a..in some of the bad areas...and am very familiar with them...and the funny thing is a lot of l.a natives think baltimore is 10x worse then l.a....now get this im a poliitically and socially very conservative bald headed big weightlifter white guy...so im not some lovey dovey hippie who think i live in some fake utopia, but i have never had a problem...i know l.a has a gang problem, it can be known for that...i wouldnt reccomend going into the neighborhoods and looking for trouble but i feel you can treat compton, watts, etc... just like any other city you would go to...gangsta rap gave those areas the rep they have, as well as gang problems...but i do know what im talking about...if you are an ordinary person and not a banger you dont have a big chance of getting messed with...again i wouldnt go into east l.a and drive through big hazard projects because there is a chance something may happen...just like i wouldnt put on a blue shirt and walk through the nickerson garden projects, but if you drive up long beach blvd in compton, and get out at a store and go in...i would bet nothing bad will happen...again you never know, but i do feel i am right...and i think "the one" who posts on here and lives in south l.a would agree with me...I think to an extent baltimore can be worse...i dont know the statistics, but i know baltimore has gotten terrible.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 AM

7 posts, read 24,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh30 View Post
I can't believe some of the responses I have read to this question. You all sound like the media. Some of you are going off things you have heard. I grew up in Compton all my life and yes like any other area there are gangs, drugs, and violence but I never felt afraid. I walked to and from school sometimes at night after sports games. I am a college educated woman who is proud to call Compton; my hometown. I think some of you really need to have your facts straight. Yes, Compton has had it ups and downs but all together, I would raise my family there if I have the choice. Yes, it is safe to drive through Compton, just don't start any trouble because just like any town, we protect ours.
I rekon u r so used to compton since u grew up there that u dont realise how much better other places are

Old 10-03-2009, 03:04 AM

723 posts, read 1,634,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_boy95 View Post
I rekon u r so used to compton since u grew up there that u dont realise how much better other places are
Or just accepts it and mentally justifies it, instead of admitting to themself that they come from a hellhole. Saying they would choose to raise kids there is beyond ignorant, but then that's why there will always be places like Compton.

And maybe she doesn't get jacked by the crooks because she's down with the homies, so what does she care if they jack a visitor? They are just protecting their own, according to her.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:14 AM

317 posts, read 819,807 times
Like any low income area in the country there usually isn't any strong commercial or recreational happenings going on, so unless you live there for what reason would you be there at night? With that being said this is the problem with these types of communities, no jobs in the area and no outlets to relieve the struggles of day to day life. I've never been in Compton at night and have been to L.A. for extended stays, but do not live there (hopefully I will move there sometime next year) but this applies to all low income neighborhoods across the country.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Actually

Old 10-03-2009, 12:35 PM

actually thats a typical liberal answer...there are lots of big name stores in compton...best buy, target, home depot, i believe...some others...its not what people think there...plenty of opprutinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles