Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 AM

177 posts, read 687,097 times

Advertisements

Nice trick question!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Ive never listened to nwa.
But I have lived in modertly bad black areas.
Had my car surrouned by some real NWA that ment me harm.
One street before that I felt safe.
How can you know ?
Diversity can lead to injury.
what are you talking about?

Nita

Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,818 times
I Lived in Compton when it was the CPT Straight Outta Compton NWA and all that Moderator cut: stuff and i still come and hang once or twice a year and its basically the same as it was when i left still gangs on corners drinking 40s strapped with uzi's bumbing music selling drugs and all that the only real difference is the KILL as often as they used too but their are still shots fired all the time and there are still 250+ gang members being killed every year

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-21-2009 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 03-07-2009, 02:56 AM

10 posts, read 66,623 times
Believe what you hear about Compton. If you have no business there, don't go. Not a nice place.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:31 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,859 times
wulfgar64 Believe what you hear about Compton. If you have no business there, don't go. Not a nice place. <- Lies.

CPT is nice. Dont believe the hype. Just dont be stupid.
Dont disrespect. Its not very likely to get robbed or killed randomly...

Old 03-07-2009, 07:39 AM

73 posts, read 306,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkbyfaith View Post
Thank you for everyones response. I was actually curious because I have a home based business that requires me to meet with groups of people in their homes. I have an appointment scheduled at night there coming up and was wondering if I should cancel or if its actually safe to go. I am from Michigan in the transition of moving to California so any info is helpful.
Not sure what type of business you have but the type of clients you are meeting with will make a difference. Although there will probably always be gang representation there are still a lot of friendly, peaceful folks that live there. I have friends that lived in Compton that were really great people. You'll be surprised by the ammount of good hard working people that live in Compton, Watts, etc..., and have lived there for many years. I found it to be the same as any economically depressed/socially disadvantaged area I've been to anywhere in America.

Additionally, I used to work in S. LA (office was at 51st and Vermont) and would ride my bike between there and Hollywood daily and never felt threatened or unsafe. I also did work in Nickerson Gardens etc... and my safety was never an issue.

Besides, Compton has it's own theme song- check it out!
YouTube - N.W.A (Compton's In The House)

Old 03-20-2009, 04:20 PM

8 posts, read 35,804 times
Back in the days when I still partied, I actually met some really chill people at a rave who told me they were from "Long Beach" and invited me to kick it with them at their pad. Well, turns out they actually lived near the Compton/Gardina border. But since these guys weren't all thugged out and just seemed like a couple of normal guys, I figured it couldn't be all that bad; and it wasn't. It just seemed like another lower-middle-class suburb, like you'd find in Alhambra, Roland Heights, or other places that don't have such a bad reputation.

Of course, "bad" is relative I suppose. I lived in Melrose Park for a while, which is a mafia town in the western suburbs of Chicago. And, yes, you'd hear gunshots at night occassionally, and their police department did get raided by the FBI while I was there. But I lived there for about 2-3 months and actually had a pretty good time. I never really felt like I was in any kind of danger, and I actually met a lot of friendly people, including a few Latin Kings.

Now, the Southside of Chicago where we used to go to score heroin was a different story. IIRC, there were police cameras and siren-type blue lights set up all over the place. Those neighborhoods just scream "high crime area." Even the guys from Melrose Park were weary of those spots. We always kept the car running when we were there, and never stopped the car for more than a minute or two.

Likewise, most of the places where needle exchanges operate here in L.A. are also pretty ghetto. Those are the types of places where I'd avoid walking by myself at night. But that's just me.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM

300 posts, read 1,014,859 times
Besides, Compton has it's own theme song- check it out!
YouTube - N.W.A (Compton's In The House) hell yeah.
COMPTON IN THE HOUSE YEAH. CPT!

TO the point: U can walk here at night day morning afternoon watever, just dont do anything stupid

Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 AM

571 posts, read 1,932,333 times
Compton has a horrible reputation and it is not quite as bad as it used to be. I think it all depends what you are used to. We know a couple that grew up near Compton and so all of their lives they are used to it, they are about to buy a home in Compton because it's nicer than where they live now. As with any city there are bad parts and nicer parts. And it all depends where you are coming from.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:44 AM

6 posts, read 36,099 times
Compton is like a western Detroit or a western New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles