Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 AM

10 posts, read 66,599 times

Advertisements

Not hype: reality. Ask LA County deputies who patrol the area. Compton makes the news quite often regarding shootings. Unless the LA Times and the news stations are part of some conspiracy, crime is alive and well in Compton....

Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
its alive and well like in any large city, or city thats part of a large metropolis.

but homicides and crime is down in COMPTON.

thats not a conspiracy, thats a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfgar64 View Post
Not hype: reality. Ask LA County deputies who patrol the area. Compton makes the news quite often regarding shootings. Unless the LA Times and the news stations are part of some conspiracy, crime is alive and well in Compton....

Old 03-29-2009, 11:19 PM

10 posts, read 66,599 times
Just had a triple homicide on Rosecrans. So much for the crime rate.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:44 AM

276 posts, read 1,018,682 times
Sorry, but I have to chuckle at this one.

I would not live in Compton if they gave me a home there!

I would not and do not even drive towards Compton or any of the neighboring little cities (if you want to call them that) surrounding Compton.

Just tonight on the news they just reported a murder right in Compton!

During the early 1930's (long before I was born) my family lived in Watts, and many friends lived in Compton and Inglewood (both areas were primarly white), and the community was a nice place to buy a home and raise a family.

To answer your question; BAD!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I wonder how many threads there are asking about "Compton" "South Central" "Gangs" "information for 'school projects'" "Whats (enter infamous housing project here)" "Can I wear Red or Blue in LA", etc etc.

It's crazy how much West Coast rap that fell off years ago, and all the movies of the 80-90s has left a lasting impression with so many people around the world.
I certainly agree with this. Recently I had company from Europe who wanted to drive through Compton. Asked if I'd take them. "Sure!" I think they were surprised at how quickly I agreed. They wanted to know if it was dangerous. Of course it can be -- depending on what you're up to! What are you up to? Nuttun'! So, we headed down the 405, exit Artesia east, continue 91, exit Compton. There we saw nicely manicured businesses and commercial sections to the south. We turned north and were greeted with a beautiful sign on a well-tendered median, "Welcome to Compton." My company looked around and said, "it doesn't look so bad." (Translation = it's not like what we see on TV.) Sure, we passed a couple of shady looking apartment buildings with guys hanging around out front, some areas looked a little more run down than others, but nothing to indicate personal threat or imminent danger.

I explained to my company that there are other areas in L.A. with worse problems than Compton. IMO, the areas immediately outside of downtown are much more questionable. Compton is home to families who have been there for several generations. They own property and have managed to gain a leg up in life. Immediately outside of downtown you'll find immigrant groups who don't have anything, many illegal, living hand-to-mouth. We drove there, too, which satisfied a lot more the "picture" my company had of Compton. IOW, we had to leave Compton to find "Compton."

Last edited by Winston Smith; 03-30-2009 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-24-2009, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 11,999 times
I keep reading that Compton is all bad and you will get shot if you're driving through. This weekend I need to go to the Compton/Woodley Airport from LA. Can you please let me know if all these threads are just hype or would I be safe driving from LA to the airport through Compton. Please keep in mind i'm a white-looking girl.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:13 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer7557 View Post
I keep reading that Compton is all bad and you will get shot if you're driving through. This weekend I need to go to the Compton/Woodley Airport from LA. Can you please let me know if all these threads are just hype or would I be safe driving from LA to the airport through Compton. Please keep in mind i'm a white-looking girl.
Yes you are completely safe. COME ON PEOPLE.
Common sense? Its not like their gonna shoot random people into their cars.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:53 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Don't drive through Compton with your window down. A Compton school teacher was only 4 blocks from her school and stopped at a light. Four hoods pulled her out of her car and for no reason beat her up, then took her purse and car. This happened about one month ago.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:44 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post

TO the point: U can walk here at night day morning afternoon watever, just dont do anything stupid
If you are walking in Compton at night, aren't you pretty much proving you're stupid?

Seriously, are you guaranteed to be a victim of a crime by walking around at Night? No. The truth is crime statistics show that Comptom has a crime index of twice the national average (city data), so why take the chance if you don't need to?

Old 04-25-2009, 03:57 PM

32 posts, read 125,189 times
yalll are tripin compton is not safe but you can drive through any city anywhere! i would never feel unsafe on main streets anywhere. Would i go into a neighborhood, yes but i have quite a few friends there. If your passing through, you have nothing to worry about, if your stopping there then it depends what your about. very few gangstas are gonna risk a third strike or somethin by shootin an inocent person jus dont dogg nobody and dont stop at stop signs in neighorhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles