Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 AM

7 posts, read 24,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
compton is safer than it once was. the good thing is that crime isnt so random anymore. its more targetted. towards the thugs and gang bangers.

it is not as bad as all you chickens in the OC or ARK think it is. you guys have heard to many NWA songs.

its changing for the better. and it has some pretty nice areas. but at the end of the day those areas are still surrounded by not so nice areas.

either way you should be fine in compton at night or in the morning. just mind your B's.
I love the NWA and i was thinking of living in Compton, but im not too sure. I live in Perth, Western Australia at the moment, but i live not too far from a fairly ghetto-ed place and i have street smarts (well, i think i do), so wht do you think???

Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 AM

7 posts, read 24,674 times
actually, i think most of these positive replies are from oblivious people who don't open their eyes and see the truely bad side of a ghetto.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 17,821 times
Dear whit_boy95,

What's in Compton is not your average Golliwog. The animals that live in this area will hurt you even if you are minding your own business. There are so many other decent places to live in southern California that you should forget about the area in general. As far as the NWA and those groups, well, they're all living now in gated fortresses in the San Fernando Valley, Diamond Bar, Calabasas...The exact places they cussed out the white man, Jews, and corporate slave owners, for living in.

The last time I drove through Compton I was on Alondra Blvd., and as I looked around out on the streets I said to myself, in the words of James Franciscus, "My God, it's a bloody nightmare."

Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 17,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteazz1 View Post
Just wondering how many people here have actually been to Compton.....don't reply based on what you saw on the news,rap videos,or T.V.
Do you think the news is going to tell you the story about the nice hard working folkks of Compton or any "bad" city?That would not be too exciting right?....They would much rather keep you in fear and lead you to believe that you will get shot,mugged,or killed in any run down neighborhood.

I had the same fears before I started traveling and living in different neighborhoods.I was terrified of the south side of Chicago until I lived there..because I,like some of you,fell for the drama that is the MEDIA.......

Just mind your business,get in and out,be cautious of your surrondings..and you should be ine.
I lived in North Long Beach for seven years and moved out around 1990 when all that rap started causing the average street kid to act-out their rap video fantasies. When I moved into that area in the early eighties it was bad. There were already gangs there but they hadn't yet achieved celebrity status and they stayed in their residential areas and only killed each other. It was and still is a bad area. I spent a lot of time driving around the main streets like Alondra Blvd. and Rosecrans Ave. I used to pay my phone and power bills in Compton and only went in there early in the morning. All the neighboring cities were real cesspools and I'm sure they still are.

If you don't believe me please feel free to move their and keep us posted!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-06-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: No need to call someone stupid -- thanks.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 PM

241 posts, read 943,919 times
yeah you been there 80s and early 90s so you know how bad it was guessing you lived and been around area as a little kid also.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,111,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaNotDreamin View Post
I lived in North Long Beach for seven years and moved out around 1990 when all that rap started causing the average street kid to act-out their rap video fantasies. When I moved into that area in the early eighties it was bad.
Pure curiosity here: Why did you move there if the area was bad? I understand that because of life's circumstances we sometimes do what we must, but given a choice, most of us would not move to a "bad area." Again, just curious.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,706,852 times
double

i have seen the compton/florence/watts/hp of the 80's and 90's. it is not like it once was.

take it from someone still around here.

its not feel goodism. its reality. the city and surrounding area is chanigng, for the better. it still has its pockets of nastiness, but for the most part it is revitalizing and re-energinzing.

i am some one with OPEN eyes. i see the changes.

most people have this idea of CPT as an NWA song. it aint like that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaNotDreamin View Post
Remind me to nominate you for a Nobel peace prize for feel goodism and stupidity. I lived in North Long Beach for seven years and moved out around 1990 when all that rap started causing the average street kid to act-out their rap video fantasies. When I moved into that area in the early eighties it was bad. There were already gangs there but they hadn't yet achieved celebrity status and they stayed in their residential areas and only killed each other. It was and still is a bad area. I spent a lot of time driving around the main streets like Alondra Blvd. and Rosecrans Ave. I used to pay my phone and power bills in Compton and only went in there early in the morning. All the neighboring cities were real cesspools and I'm sure they still are.

If you don't believe me please feel free to move their and keep us posted!

Old 07-28-2009, 03:25 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,495,192 times
Hopefully the area is improving. Oxnard improved so Guess it could happen anywhere.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 10,397 times
THE ONE iz right.to many N.W.A songz. i love nwa though. but it aint the 90's or 80's any more.lot better.still violence and gangs but alot better.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,584 times
I can't believe some of the responses I have read to this question. You all sound like the media. Some of you are going off things you have heard. I grew up in Compton all my life and yes like any other area there are gangs, drugs, and violence but I never felt afraid. I walked to and from school sometimes at night after sports games. I am a college educated woman who is proud to call Compton; my hometown. I think some of you really need to have your facts straight. Yes, Compton has had it ups and downs but all together, I would raise my family there if I have the choice. Yes, it is safe to drive through Compton, just don't start any trouble because just like any town, we protect ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles