Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Longing for Los Angeles after moving, miss LA attributes, budget problem, declining home prices, Bay Area cost of living, high cost of living

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
^^^I personally would have no desire to live in Los Angeles if it still resembled the city it was in the 50’s and 60’s. Way too suburban for my liking.
Wow:

Whenever I think of SoCal; I think of the way it was depicted 35+ years ago..........

The place is too big for me now; for that matter, Phx is not as nice IMHO now compared to 1990 either.

The above stated: if I were to move back to SoCal; it would probably be the 'Hi-Desert' above Palm Springs, Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree, etc. I visited that area in 2006 and was enchanted----------it as if I returned home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 03:05 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
I am waiting for DH to catch on ... I'm being REALLY patient, because I want the decision to finally be his so that he won't be bitter later. Its really hard for him to admit he loves California because he has so many truly good and warm friends here in TN.

The bugs I mentioned? I've yet to actually 'see' what on earth bit me like the Last Supper all Summer but whatever 'it' is, I'm allergic to 'it'. Seem to hit me up most in East Ridge. Bites would swell, turn red, then dark red, then dark marks and then just peel at the site over and over like a blister. It was, to say the least a real TRIP. In California, they spray everything so thoroughly that most bugs just past you by.

I was the one who talked my DH into moving here. I was born and raised in Florida and then moved to California in the 90's. I wanted to be closer to my family. We both are so unhappy here so the choice to move back wasn't hard for us. I just thought it would be a better life. It wasn't.

And the bugs are horrible here!! I've been bit a few times by something myself. I didn't do as bad as you but it drove me crazy.
I remember sitting outside in California in the evenings by the pool and never have any type of bug bother me.

I can't get out of here fast enough. When do you think you'll be able to go back?

Old 02-28-2009, 03:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
I am waiting for DH to catch on ... I'm being REALLY patient, because I want the decision to finally be his so that he won't be bitter later. Its really hard for him to admit he loves California because he has so many truly good and warm friends here in TN.

The bugs I mentioned? I've yet to actually 'see' what on earth bit me like the Last Supper all Summer but whatever 'it' is, I'm allergic to 'it'. Seem to hit me up most in East Ridge. Bites would swell, turn red, then dark red, then dark marks and then just peel at the site over and over like a blister. It was, to say the least a real TRIP. In California, they spray everything so thoroughly that most bugs just past you by.
could you be getting eaten by Chiggers? That is what it sounds like. DH has a horrible problem with them and no, you can not see them..He started spraying with OFF when he works in the yard. It really helps. Once in awhile the guys will still find a place to bite, but nothing like the first month or so we lived here..

As for Ca spraying all the time, this may not be terrible safe either..

Nita

Old 02-28-2009, 03:33 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
I was the one who talked my DH into moving here. I was born and raised in Florida and then moved to California in the 90's. I wanted to be closer to my family. We both are so unhappy here so the choice to move back wasn't hard for us. I just thought it would be a better life. It wasn't.

And the bugs are horrible here!! I've been bit a few times by something myself. I didn't do as bad as you but it drove me crazy.
I remember sitting outside in California in the evenings by the pool and never have any type of bug bother me.

I can't get out of here fast enough. When do you think you'll be able to go back?
Yep, that's what I was talking about. They just don't bite'cha in California, even right by water. Not sure 'when', just trying to make the best of it until then - but its reeeally hard sometimes even if you are accepting the people and the culture -- they don't always accept you.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
could you be getting eaten by Chiggers? That is what it sounds like. DH has a horrible problem with them and no, you can not see them..He started spraying with OFF when he works in the yard. It really helps. Once in awhile the guys will still find a place to bite, but nothing like the first month or so we lived here..

As for Ca spraying all the time, this may not be terrible safe either..

Nita
You're right. I purchased a double pack of OFF and it does help, but sometimes its like they nibbled around and found a spot without OFF. Craaaazy. DH thought it was chiggers but one day I saw something land on me for a few seconds that looked like jet black-jagged-chewed up-fly. Before I smacked it dead. Black powdery bug parts on my hand so not able to tell after the smack down. I don't know what that was but it left that bite that turned shades of red and peeled.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Yep, that's what I was talking about. They just don't bite'cha in California, even right by water. Not sure 'when', just trying to make the best of it until then - but its reeeally hard sometimes even if you are accepting the people and the culture -- they don't always accept you.
Your right about not getting bit by the water. When we went fishing back home we were never bit by anything. We sit out on the patio and are eaten alive!

We were fortunate that we didn't buy a home here yet. Or we would be stuck. The same homes we looked at a year and a half ago are still sitting. We both knew within 6 mo's that TN wasn't what we wanted. And it's hard to check out a place before moving to it. You have to actually live there before you know. We learned a valuable lesson. And your right, the people here just weren't accepting. And we are out going people. We love everyone. And we always try to help if someone needs it. Hang in there and hopefully things will get better for you. I know just reading the California forum helps me. I was a lurker for so long before I decided to sign up and post on here.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:19 PM

If I could stand near the LAX runway as people attempt to escape to places they think where the grass is greener with a sign that says, "Are You Sure?" for a few days, I would. I've lived in Texas, Michigan, Florida & NY and I can tell you, you think you are sure because you may think where you are moving will not have all the 'dislikes' you have developed living in LA but lemme tell you, you are not moving to places that has all the 'likes' of California so if you minus that, you will have new 'dislikes' and some of them, may be unbearable.

Ours was the cost of living and family. We are paying as much living here without the beaches, mountains, palm trees, diversity, variety, culture and open mindedness and when we try to talk to family about things we just think are just normal, we get a flat-eyed stare.

Last edited by justhere; 02-28-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
If I could stand near the LAX runway as people attempt to escape to places they think where the grass is greener with a sign that says, "Are You Sure?" for a few days, I would. I've lived in Texas, Michigan, Florida & NY and I can tell you, you think you are sure because you may think where you are moving will not have all the 'dislikes' you have developed living in LA but lemme tell you, you are not moving to places that has all the 'likes' of California so if you minus that, you will have new 'dislikes' and some of them, may be unbearable.
Sure wish you were holding that sign when I left! LOL Yeah; I've lived in several different areas myself. Florida, Louisiana, Texas, California, Tennessee & Ohio. I've traveled all of the US. There are good and bad everywhere. California has so many "Likes" that we sure miss.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:35 PM

LOL, I wish I was standing there too! How was Ohio?

Old 02-28-2009, 05:54 PM

[quote=justhere;7673290]LOL, I wish I was standing there too! How was Ohio?[/quote

I was in Ohio many years ago and to me it was the same as TN. I love the countryside but that's it. The people are more outgoing there than here in TN. And they are more themselves and not fake like the majority are here in TN.

We also thought moving here would be cheaper; but it's not. That was one of the reasons we left California. But it is NOT cheaper here. That's for sure. So we'll go back to California, pay the same as here and be happy.

Ohio is not as expensive as TN. My Great Aunt lives there. She is close to Logan. Real Estate is so much cheaper there than here. I'm not for sure about Vehicle Ins, Health Ins etc. That was a mistake we made by not calling about things like that before hand. We are paying more here for those things. But check it out. Heck your this close. The drive is not bad from here to Ohio. I drove to my Aunts this past summer and was there in 6 hours. Take a weekend and go see what it has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles