Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:11 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

It seems some are surprised to know LA has snowfields so close to it...the most ignorantly think it doesn't even snow in California! It seems to me 'snow' is overshadowed by sun, the ocean and palm trees. Of course many people are aware of this, but I'm wondering how many Americans are really aware of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
They're known to locals but I doubt anyone from outside of SoCal would care about the mountains here. Who would plan a ski trip to LA when there's Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Tahoe, etc?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
They're known to locals but I doubt anyone from outside of SoCal would care about the mountains here. Who would plan a ski trip to LA when there's Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Tahoe, etc?
Southern California's snow is great for weekend trips and just an opportunity to get up into the snow. It is also very popular for school events, church retreats, family reunions, corporate team building events, etc.. The ski resorts aren't huge though (not the type of place you spend a whole week). That is why we do plan one trip a year to a bigger ski resort like Mammoth, a Tahoe Resort, Colorado, or Utah.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:07 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,814 times
Mount Waterman is the closest, only 30 miles north and less than an hour's drive from downtown LA. Mostly advanced terrain but pretty good beginner runs as well. No snowmaking there, but it's at over 8000' so usually plenty of snow ...open only on the weekends.

I think a fair amount of people outside CA know about skiing here.

It even snowed about 6 inches in LA sometime in the late 1940s.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Depending on where you are in Southern California, Mammoth may only be two hours farther than Big Bear. I once drove from June Lake to Moorpark in 4:44 (I still remember that), on New Years morning leaving at 7AM.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
My dad used to take me up to Mount Waterman back in the 1970s. It (and Kratka Ridge) was the closest ski area to the San Fernando Valley. On easter Sunday they would fill these (presumably clean) plastic trashcans with wine and for something like $5 you could drink all you wanted.

The revival of Mt. Waterman - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
People who live here and ski know about 'em, people out of state don't. Besides our local areas (Mountain High, Big Bear) there is also Mammoth Mountain and June lake, about 300 miles north up Highway 395, and both of those areas are primarily used by Los Angeles residents. (They are difficult to get to from anywhere else like SF due to mountain passes being closed, and not worth driving from north due to the Lake Tahoe skiing areas being closer up there.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems some are surprised to know LA has snowfields so close to it...the most ignorantly think it doesn't even snow in California! It seems to me 'snow' is overshadowed by sun, the ocean and palm trees. Of course many people are aware of this, but I'm wondering how many Americans are really aware of them?
You are OBVIOUSLY NOT from LA!!! Just about everyone here goes skiing/snowboarding. Although not as much as going to the beach (which is often just a few minutes commute) but most people here are also avid snowboarders/skiiers You are totally mistaken. The local ski resorts are very well known.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
^ I agree. The OP is either a naive, unknowing transplant, or someone who doesn't live here. Real locals wouldn't make such statements.

Anyways, as mentioned before, our ski resorts are very well known and endorsed/supported. Most people head to Big Bear, but a very sizeable contingent, one big enough to warrant direct turboprop flights, go to Mammoth.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:03 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I used to commute to Mammoth on a weekly basis. I'd shoot up there every Friday evening, and be headed back to Los Angeles on Sunday afternoon. It's probably possible to make the drive in little more than 4 hours if you're crazy and have a casual disregard of life and limb, but if you take it easy it's a nice 6 hour cruise, unless you pass an accident where one of the hot-doggers had a head-on trying to make LA in 4 hours.

Of course all LA skiers know about the local areas, or all but a few 'tards. Those of us who live in the northern part of LA can make it to a ski area in only 1-2 hours, so day skiing is practical. Mammoth pretty much requires an overnight trip.

I haven't skied much lately... I really used to love late season skiing at Mammoth, where it can often get to 60s or 70s during the daytime, and it's wonderful to ski in a T-shirt and shorts. Just don't fall! Mammoth tries to stay open until the 4th of July weekend when practical, and it's not that unusual for them to make their goal.

BTW I've skied Tahoe too, and I'll take Mammoth any day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles