Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 12,921 times

Advertisements

I live in a 3 bedroom apartment in Los Angeles. My roommate just moved out. I would like my girlfriend to replace the last guy that moved out. She has good credit, good rental history shouldn't be a problem right? I am the only one on the lease.

Here lies the problem. My landlord wants people out of the apartment building so they can raise rent. They just recently refused someone to be a roommate to someone else in the building because this person does not make great money and has not a long rental history. so they refused the person. The tenant would be the only one on the lease. but they refused the person so they cannot make rent and have to move out.

I was reading rent control section about extra occupant. Mine wouldn't be considered extra occupant being they would be replacing the guy that moved out.

here is what is in the rent control section for los angeles:
(2) The landlord cannot necessarily evict for having additional occupants. Given the extraordinary rents these days even under rent control, many tenants are doubling up or finding temporary housing with a friend until they find another place, and this reason for eviction is growing. The "additional" tenant is not a replacement for a former roommate, nor a guest who resides elsewhere or has lived there exclusively less than 30 days. This is not the tenant's additional child, either by birth or custody change, but this exemption only applies to TWO additional children. This is not the sole additional adult, either, which permits an adult caretaker, parent, friend, lover, or other person to join the tenancy. The landlord still has the right to reasonably disapprove of the new tenants [except the children] and to charge the additional 10% for each new tenant [except the first additional child] who stays beyond 30 days, by a 30-day written notice changing terms of tenancy. The disapproval is limited to the new tenant's rental history, ability to pay the extra 10% rent [Reg. 310.10] or exceeding overcrowding limits [about 50' per person -Reg 952.01]. It seems that the 30-day notice can't be given until after the 30 day stay, so that it wouldn't take effect until the third month of such occupancy.

that section talks about replacement of former roommate and also lover but in the instance of additional occupant.

my questions are:

can they refuse a lover by some technicality that they did to my neighbor if i want them to move in being i am the only one on the lease?

does my girlfriend have to fill out a credit application or can she just move in and I notify the management?

if I am married can they refuse my wife and also does she have to do a credit application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 12,921 times
One addition to that post....we are under rent control.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,803 times
Hey, LAGreg... I'm facing the same problem right now, but this isn't a significant other. I just want to bring in a new friend but I'm thinking my landlord will deny it, knowing I can't make the payments on my own, forcing me to move out so he can find new tenants that will pay more.

What was the outcome of your situation?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,305 times
@JakeJJC- I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a reply. LAGreg had 2 posts over 3 years ago. Me thinks he has moved on. Your best option is to open your own, new thread.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
@JakeJJC- I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a reply. LAGreg had 2 posts over 3 years ago. Me thinks he has moved on. Your best option is to open your own, new thread.
We can only hope he isn't still trying to get his landlord to let his girlfriend move in.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJJC View Post
Hey, LAGreg... I'm facing the same problem right now, but this isn't a significant other. I just want to bring in a new friend but I'm thinking my landlord will deny it, knowing I can't make the payments on my own, forcing me to move out so he can find new tenants that will pay more.

What was the outcome of your situation?
Jake, my guess is Greg is long gone. The thread is 3 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: