Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 05:20 AM

2 posts, read 17,475 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are visiting LA next month. We are staying in Hollywood for a couple of days before taking a cruise out of Long Beach. We need to get there on a Monday in the afternoon. After checking out the taxis, shuttle and Limo rates they cost anywhere from $120 - 180. A friend told us to take the bus/train lines at a cost of $5. The redline and green or blue line. How safe is this? We would only have a suit case and backpack each and be travelling in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rloveys View Post
My wife and I are visiting LA next month. We are staying in Hollywood for a couple of days before taking a cruise out of Long Beach. We need to get there on a Monday in the afternoon. After checking out the taxis, shuttle and Limo rates they cost anywhere from $120 - 180. A friend told us to take the bus/train lines at a cost of $5. The redline and green or blue line. How safe is this? We would only have a suit case and backpack each and be travelling in the afternoon.
I don't know how unsafe it is, but I would bet it wouldn't be that bad. What I would like to know is how long, how much hassle, how many transfers, etc that train ride might take.

Someone posted a couple days ago on going from LAX to Hyatt Long Beach for a cruise (use the search tool). The shuttles were recommended. They are great but from Hollywood to Long Beach I bet it won't be cheap.

Maybe consider renting a car one way. If it is only two people and not a lot of huge luggage like you describe, you can get a mid sized maybe for $50.

To get rental car discount codes check out:

Rental Car Discounts and Codes

Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 17,475 times
Thanks Charles. What I have read says that some rental companies charge extra for oneway trips and some do not allow them. I checked the metro line schedule and I would need to go from Hollywood on the redline (subway) to the 7th Street metro station and take the train on the Blue line to Long Beach transit termial.
Only $2.50 per person.
Since it is the trains we will be using and not the bus we should get there in approximately 1hr.

If safety is not an issue then this is probably the option we will use.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2009, 01:19 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Just take the train. I've gone from Hollywood to Long Beach via the Metrorail numerous times and have never had a problem. Now I must tell you beforehand that the Blue Line passes through LA's most impoverished neighborhoods, so the scenery out the windows will be pretty bleak and depressing to look at. But I've never had a problem with safety.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
I've made the reverse trip (LB to LA) a couple of times and it's fine -- especially since you'll be travelling in the middle of the day.

I'm a big fan of the MTA's Trip Planner site, but would allow more time than listed, since you're unfamiliar with the system.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:11 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i will also second metro rail. I've taken almost all the rail lines in LA and have never had an issue. As long as being around "non white" people isn't an issue for you, you should be just fine. your best bet is to keep your luggage close to you and make sure you don't look like you're uncomfortable and odds are no one will even talk to you. if you're not staying real close to the metro stations in downtown long beach, then you should probably have a local cab company's phone number with you so you can get a ride to your destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: