Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHO WILL YOU VOTE FOR LA MAYOR?
Antonio Villaraigosa 14 30.43%
Walter Moore 23 50.00%
Other 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,573,092 times

Advertisements

Interesting tid bit is that Moore won the 12th Council District by almost a 1000 votes. The 12th district is Northridge, Granada Hills, Chatsworth, Canoga Park, Porter Ranch, parts of West Van Nuys and Encino, West Hills, North Hills, Lake Balboa, Reseda and Winnetka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 02:06 PM

23 posts, read 37,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Good point & why I am anxious for Prop 11 to redraw voting districts away from gerrymandering. If the GOP returned to its libertarian roots many Californians would again vote Republican
I like Prop 11 too.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If there had been a debate, I don't think most of the Moore supporters would've gone for Tony. A handful might have, but most would've merely gone for another candidate as Moore's appeal was a "protest vote". The Moore supporters would've flocked to David "Zuma Dogg" Salzberg, Gordon Turner, Bruce Darian, Craig Rubin, or David Hernandez. I think Rubin would probably have been a better "protest candidate" than Moore.
I respectfully disagree. You don't think that Moore could have out debated Tony? Really? Moore is an accomplished trial lawyer. Tony V couldn't even pass the bar. Did you feel that he (Moore) did not handle himself well in the "alternative's" debates?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
I respectfully disagree. You don't think that Moore could have out debated Tony? Really? Moore is an accomplished trial lawyer. Tony V couldn't even pass the bar. Did you feel that he (Moore) did not handle himself well in the "alternative's" debates?
Tony outdoes Moore in the charisma/personality department, and is a very slick pitchman - which reinforces what I said earlier in the thread that he should have gone into acting instead of politics. Moore, OTOH, seems to come off as weirder and weirder the more he opens his mouth. Unfortunately, CA politics seem to have been infested by the "celebrity factor", and Moore unfortunately lacked in that department.

The "anyone but Tony" crowd would've been better off going for Craig X. Rubin. He comes across as more sane than Moore - at least to me.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
majoun Tony outdoes Moore in the charisma/personality department, and is a very slick pitchman - which reinforces what I said earlier in the thread that he should have gone into acting instead of politics. Moore, OTOH, seems to come off as weirder and weirder the more he opens his mouth. Unfortunately, CA politics seem to have been infested by the "celebrity factor", and Moore unfortunately lacked in that department.

The "anyone but Tony" crowd would've been better off going for Craig X. Rubin. He comes across as more sane than Moore - at least to me.

Are you kidding? Isn't Craig X Rubin a Jewish pastor of a church that wants marijuana totally legalized. Moore agrees with legalizing weed [probably even Villaraigosa] but they don't make marijuana the main focus of their campaigns

Old 03-08-2009, 01:06 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Quote:

Are you kidding? Isn't Craig X Rubin a Jewish pastor of a church that wants marijuana totally legalized. Moore agrees with legalizing weed [probably even Villaraigosa] but they don't make marijuana the main focus of their campaigns
You are correct that Rubin's an oddball - but that position is pretty sane compared to some of Moore's positions. I didn't know that Moore favors legalizing weed, though. If Moore does, that's one of the less strange views Moore holds.

Some of the other fringe candidates had views that made both Moore and Rubin look sane by comparison - like Zuma Dogg's "Jello Biafra"-type campaign, the two Trotskyist candidates (wouldn't it have made more sense for the Trots to have ran a single candidate rather than two), or Bruce Darian of the "Federalist Party" (basically all of Moore's weirdness on steroids - although I don't think there's been any Federalist candidate who's held public office in the US since the 1820s)

Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Tony outdoes Moore in the charisma/personality department, and is a very slick pitchman - which reinforces what I said earlier in the thread that he should have gone into acting instead of politics. Moore, OTOH, seems to come off as weirder and weirder the more he opens his mouth. Unfortunately, CA politics seem to have been infested by the "celebrity factor", and Moore unfortunately lacked in that department.

Now see I totally don't get the Villar charisma thing. He sounds like a politician, and he's kind of nasal. Moore is nasal too, but he cracks jokes and I think he's funny -- it's an intelligent funny. That being as it may, I don't think any of us really think that necessarily makes a great mayor -- though it doesn't hurt to have the people laughing in these times.

I really voted for Moore because I liked what he said, not just to get rid of Villar, although that would have been the best perk. My second choice might have been Hernandez, not Rubin. Nothing against Rubin or Zuma. Zuma certainly had the charisma thing going. The city can use a passionate outsider.

But what I'd really like to know is what positions on issues did you think were weird from Moore? Underground parking with parks on top? Prioritizing the addition of 3000 cops? I'm trying to attach the word "weird" to what he spoke about, and it's not working for me.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,226,361 times
Justin,
The left calls anyone who does not parrot the communist party line as "weird" or some other choice pejorative.
Moore basically said that business as usual in LA is not working. But business as usual is what the powers that be are pocketing money through. To them that is weird.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:51 PM

As others have stated Moore was anathema to "Orange Co"-type Republicans for his stands on gay rights & marijuana. But his "less is better" density approach doesn't go over to well with capitalists & realists who envision trains. I may add that Villaraigosa ties to President Obama has already netted $millions for finishing Gold line into East LA before moving north out of Pasadena into Claremont

Old 03-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
As others have stated Moore was anathema to "Orange Co"-type Republicans for his stands on gay rights & marijuana. But his "less is better" density approach doesn't go over to well with capitalists & realists who envision trains. I may add that Villaraigosa ties to President Obama has already netted $millions for finishing Gold line into East LA before moving north out of Pasadena into Claremont
Villaraigosa's ties are because Los Angeles overwhelmingly supported Obama, Tony had nothing to do with that. Can you honestly say that if Moore had been elected, the current administration would have turned its back on SoCal? Villaraigosa supported Clinton for President, anyway.

As to density, it's not a question that L.A. has to have more housing, it's just how much? And is it being done safely, economically, and intelligently. Are bids for building and transportation going to the most deserving with the best plans, or are they being farmed out to special interests?

When the only real job you've ever had has been on the dime of the taxpayer, it would only make sense that you want to keep that gig going. Where did Tony get his $3 mill war chest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles