Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Rui Rui started this thread

5 posts, read 10,859 times

Advertisements

Hy to all. My name is Rui i'm 20 years old and i'm Portuguese. I've already study mecanics at university and programming but i've found that's not what i want and like. What i wanna do, actualy my dream, is to go to the US and study Editing (i've some gift on these) and maybe directing in some Film School. But for that i've some questions and problems. I mean i know i can go there and in one year spent all my money for nothing and come back home but at least i will say: "Hey i've tryed" .. if i don't go there i know i will be saying all my life: "I didn't i try?" .. so.. i can speak in English very well and only the writing isn't very good. I can speak in Spanish to and Portuguese of course. What i would like to know is your oppinion. What chances does a crazy guy like me have. Where should i go first. How should i start?... i've already heard of THE LOS ANGELES FILM SCHOOL... but i don't know. how much money u guys think i should take with me from Portugal until i get any job in there. How much would be an apartment? Who dificult is to get a jub? Is there a better city then LA to study Editing and Directing?. Please.. Please help me..And thanks for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 06:13 AM

989 posts, read 5,924,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
.. so.. i can speak in English very well and only the writing isn't very good.

Most people speak Spanish.. Welcome to LA. It's a pretty good place to go to school. Just make sure that you pick a decent neighborhood that holds up "American standards." Good luck!

Old 03-21-2007, 01:10 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Can you apply to your school of choice before actually moving? I would definitely get accepted somewhere first before moving.

Everyone has a chance...but it's tough. This is "the" place to go for anyone wishing to be involved in the media in any way, including film. If you have other reasons to want to be here--if the weather appeals to you, the people, the culture--and would still want to live here even if you didn't end up becoming a filmmaker, then I'd say yes, go for it. But if film specifically is your motivator, go to school first, whether in Portugal or here, and go from there. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Rui Rui started this thread

5 posts, read 10,859 times
i've alreaddy received and aplication to the LA FILM SCHOOL... now i'm taking care of one problem.I'm trying to arrange a scholarship here to help me there.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:32 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,112 times
If you talk spanish, you talk english you wont have a problem, and being european in LA is a plus as well in the rest of the US, between white people of course, they are not majority here but in some places will be a plus, dont say you are european in places with black or latino majority, better say you are from Rio do Janeiro, Brazil.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:05 PM

15 posts, read 256,218 times
Default You will do great!

As some of the previous answers, spanish is a VERY good thing to have her in LA, thus a great deal of the population is mexican. In fact, it can be hard to get certain jobs - the kind of jobs one takes only to get by while studying, WITHOUT spanish! So that is a great plus
I strongly advice you to be careful with your money, most people have a pretty foggy opinion on how long it takes to get something done here in LA. It takes time!! A lot of time..And the cheaper rent you manage to live with, the lousier car, the money you save - will keep you here longer, and your chances will be better. There is an humongus amount of talent here, but have in mind - there are even MORE people who do not have a chance, and that is one of the resons one hear that it is so hard to make it here. A lot of people who come here, have nothing to give - and they speak a lot of how difficult it is to make it.
If you go to school you are lucky, you will feel that your time is spent well, instead of feeling that you are waisting it because nothing is happening. Things WILL happen, you just have to give it more than a year..
As someone mentioned, Europeans are very much liked - I am from Europe myself and I feel very confortable here. Just make sure that you have your **** together before you arrive here, this is dog city after all!
Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: