Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 09:39 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Ever notice that every time somebody asks what life was like here many decades ago, the thread turns very hostile over racial issues? There needs to be a sticky that says something like, "Life in L.A. before 1970? RACIST!!!", so that way we could all save time and do something more productive rather than rehash the exact same discussion yet again.
I don't see hostility. I see a few posters trying to correct another poster who wants to put his head in the sand with respect to LA circa the 50/60's.

Lots of great things about LA's past.....but racial harmony is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 09:56 AM

387 posts, read 511,966 times
Ahhh. The 50's and 60's. Yeah, those were the days. It was certainly a different era. the smog was pretty bad. We also had the run of the city and I would hike in the Verdugo Mountains as young as 7.

I remember when the road through Orange county was only a four-lane road and my dad driving through all the orange orchards. There was nothing in Orange County! Then Walt Disney built his Magic Kingdom Empire and the whole area started changing... It brings a tear to my eyes seeing all the agriculture fields just vanish like that.. No one back then would of predicted back then how rapid and sprawl-ly SoCal would grow into.

In high school, I ran track and there was only one place in the whole northern LA County area that sold Adidas shoes. That was somewhere in the San Fernando Valley. It took half the day to make a trip to that store, get my shoes, and make our way back home.

So many more memories that are starting to come back up from unconsciousness. Thanks for such a memorable thread. Perhaps the future generations will read this entire forum and use it as a history reference from stories like us. That's how i see City Data at least, documentating the current cities as they are in present time.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:05 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I don't see hostility. I see a few posters trying to correct another poster who wants to put his head in the sand with respect to LA circa the 50/60's.

It's being overly critical and negative, which that poster is known for. It's also bringing up irrelevant points (I wasn't even talking about race)

It's like saying, oh, I loved that restaurant, the service was amazing, the salad was crisp, the steak was juicy, etc but.... I saw a piece of toilet paper on the ground in the bathroom. That ruins the whole thing.

LA in the past was a magical place. Was it a perfect place? No, but pretty close. And even if racial discrimination was a factor, which it was, I will admit, at the same time, the other better quality of life make OLD LA better for all races. Yes, it was best for a white male, but I think even a black male or female had it better back then.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:16 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

Well I see hostility. People like you want to believe that in the 50's and earlier, the KKK rode through L.A. every evening, setting the homes and churches of people of color on fire and that there were lynchings on every street corner. Most of these beliefs are a product of an agenda driven mainstream media, rather than factual information.

For example, neighborhoods such as Compton were, once upon a time ago, 100% White. So then, if everybody was a hardcore Grand Dragon Klansman Nazi Brownshirt Skinhead Stormfronter, how did Black people eventually move into the area? Would not the White racists have kept them out if racism was so prevalent as some people claim?

Old 07-16-2016, 03:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
In the mid 1950's I had to drive thru south central L.A or Watts at 2-3 AM on my way to work,,,,even stopped at a all night Donut place for a cup of coffee and a bite. Never had any problems being the only white person there and the donuts were real good along with an occasional apple fritter.

Never any problems until the Watts riot.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:55 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Well I see hostility. People like you want to believe that in the 50's and earlier, the KKK rode through L.A. every evening, setting the homes and churches of people of color on fire and that there were lynchings on every street corner. Most of these beliefs are a product of an agenda driven mainstream media, rather than factual information.

For example, neighborhoods such as Compton were, once upon a time ago, 100% White. So then, if everybody was a hardcore Grand Dragon Klansman Nazi Brownshirt Skinhead Stormfronter, how did Black people eventually move into the area? Would not the White racists have kept them out if racism was so prevalent as some people claim?
Yep. I will disclose I am a full person of color, not white, and not even mixed. Still, I know things were better back then for ALL races.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Based on what people who grew up in West Adams in the 1950s have said, West Adams was as close to a "Leave It To Beaver" type experience as blacks anywhere in the USA could have had.

But even the inhabitants of West Adams were very well aware that there were limits which they were under, that their white counterparts were not subject to, and which white working class people weren't subject to either.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:35 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
I don't know how this thread got twisted into a racial discussion, but I'd like to know more about life in LA in the 1960s (not the race relations). Musically it sounds like it was great. I first visited in 1980 to look at GIT and wish I'd had a local guide, only saw some run down areas of Hollywood.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:12 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
A total exaggeration of anything I said....as usual you given to hyperbole.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:28 AM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times
I was born in 1953 at Santa Monica Hospital which puts me at 63 yrs old today. I have not left California. :-)

My mother was born in Los Angeles...Our father came here in the 40's with his family from South Bend, Indiana. They settled in Malibu right on the beach before the HUGE mansions. My mother grew up in Culver City, CA - attended Hamilton High.

I remember a time when there were hardly any cars on the new freeway (405) - Before the freeway was completed you had to take surface streets to get to Santa Monica and those areas from Torrance. My parents bought their first home in 1955 in Torrance, CA on the GI Bill. Of course Dad was in the Navy during WWII. Grandparents lived in Santa Monica and Culver City so we were driving out there every weekend to visit. My grandmother worked for Burt Lancaster (actor) and loved it. She cleaned his home. Yep, Caucasians actually cleaned toilets back in the day. You did what you had to do to earn an income. Bottom line!

California was not congested back in the 50's and 60's. New communities were still being built (tract homes). As kids, we did not have computers and all the new technology of course so we had to use our brains. Don't laugh- lol It's so true. We had to have imaginations. We were always having a blast. I loved growing up in the 50's and 60's.

I will be straight with you - I did not attend school with people of color. Many could not afford the homes. My parents paid 14,000.00 for a brand new home in Southwood Torrance. Scary time for me was during the Watts Riot. We were told they were marching to Torrance to burn down our homes. Frightening time. I do want to make this very clear here - just because there were not many people of color living in Torrance at that time does not mean they did not work in Torrance because they did. We were taught to respect ALL PEOPLE of color. Back in those days, we were taught to respect all people. That is the truth. My mom's uncle owned homes in Watts - in fact a lot of land. You could drive into Watts and not feel threatened back in the day. Anarchy hit Watts and the people just went crazy with burning down their city. I believe outside influence were to blame. Enough on that.

I would have to say for me the 50's and 60's were the best. Everyone respected each other. Families had problems but it was hidden. I learned a lot about some of the families from our neighborhood. I had no idea that so and so was a big drinker- stuff like that. Somehow we all got along and made it through. My parents home in Torrance was sold just a year ago for 750,000.00 if you can believe that. Yep! I have a Facebook page for the kids that grew up in our community and attended the elementary school nearby. We've lost a lot of friends but it is so nice to reminisce. My parents passed away in 1997.

I forgot to mention that our father was a Tool Designer for North American Aviation/Boeing (El Segundo Plant). Dad only had an 8th grade education. He went back to Torrance High Night School - got his GED and was able to provide for all his kids - all five of them. My mother never worked until we were older. You sacrificed a lot back in those days and did not spend a fortune at Christmas. We were your typical Middle Class Americans. There was no "SILVER SPOON" -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles