Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:38 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
How old are you? What part of LA did live in the 50's/60's?

The old red cars were still running in the 1950's..granted they were in steep decline but they were in operation.

Also, LA's population was growing by leaps and bounds in the 1950's and 1960's. So there was development...lots of housing development and much more than there is today. Granted this growth was more suburban in character, not the urban infill we see today.
and the yellow streetcars that ran more in Los Angeles proper than some of the burbs. We took it all the time while still in high school. The freeway system was finally getting under way in the 50s but traffic was awful. Hubby used to be in a car pool in the early 60s: 4 or 5 guys living in Covina and going into L.A. every day, smaller cars, no air conditioning and they wore suits and ties daily.

I also don't see the boring part: we had so much to do and so many places to hang out. What in the world was boring about life then. I will say it wasn't as diversified as today, but no place was. I have to doubt the poster really knows much about the 60's (early 60s) and nothing about the 50s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Um...although I wasn't alive back then, I'd hardly say gangs such as The Pharoahs from the film American Graffitti are hardly comparable to gangs such as MS-13. The gangs back in the 50's and 60's, as I understand, were more about leather jackets and switchblades rather than face tats and AK-47's.
Believe me, though they were just starting they were pretty bad; no not like American Graffitti! Of course they didn't go around with AK47's and they were pretty much in the East part of L.A as I mentioned. Remember, a movie is generally for entertainment and not to be taken too seriously. The gangs in NY were not like West Side story either.

Last edited by nmnita; 02-27-2017 at 06:01 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 07:10 AM

197 posts, read 198,091 times
After reviewing this thread I can see and understand how your state was once great but this was decades ago. Today Kalufurnya appears to be a pathetic state overun by illegal immigrants, unchecked crime, out of control grafetti, traffic nightmare and just a sorry bunch of American haters who love to protest and cause chaos. I am so glad I don't live in this once great state anymore.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:49 PM

992 posts, read 866,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I also don't see the boring part: we had so much to do and so many places to hang out. What in the world was boring about life then. I will say it wasn't as diversified as today, but no place was. I have to doubt the poster really knows much about the 60's (early 60s) and nothing about the 50s.
Sure, it was enjoyable, but it wasn't the incredible and unique global metropolis we have today, where you could is something new every day, and still not see it all.
PS. What is with all the off topic Garcetti hate?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Sure, it was enjoyable, but it wasn't the incredible and unique global metropolis we have today, where you could is something new every day, and still not see it all.
PS. What is with all the off topic Garcetti hate?
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I have no idea what makes it so much interesting than 60 years ago and I still have to wonder, how old you were when you actually lived there for a few years? It appears you don't live in L. A. anymore.Am I right about that. I will let this drop for now, a silly debate truthfully, but I would like to know, what is one thing you can tell us that makes living in Los Angeles more incredibe than it was in the 50s and 60s?

Oh, btw, I am not one who spends time knocking Garcetti. I know nothing about him other than what I have read and I try not to post about things and people I really don't know about.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:06 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,839,646 times
On the late 1950/60 period grocery canned goods could be bought ...4/$1, 5/$1, 6/$1, 7/$1 etc. The money was less but our cupboard was always FULL. With 7 kids inour house...never any food shortage. Things were better then.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 PM

13,564 posts, read 15,495,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
On the late 1950/60 period grocery canned goods could be bought ...4/$1, 5/$1, 6/$1, 7/$1 etc. The money was less but our cupboard was always FULL. With 7 kids inour house...never any food shortage. Things were better then.
And the foods were better back then -- these days almost everything from the store seems like a Frankenfood.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:54 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,695,893 times
I read somewhere that Los Angeles was the whitest, most Protestant major city in the entire country at the 1960 US Census. That really caught me by surprise, since LA is probably the least white Protestant major US city in 2017, a little less than 60 years later.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:11 AM

26,580 posts, read 26,455,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I read somewhere that Los Angeles was the whitest, most Protestant major city in the entire country at the 1960 US Census. That really caught me by surprise, since LA is probably the least white Protestant major US city in 2017, a little less than 60 years later.
It sure looks that way. Los Angeles County Racial/Ethnic Breakdown 1940-2000

Old 03-05-2017, 11:45 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,353,539 times
Here is a bit of LA musical trivia. Not circa the 50's or 60's but the early 70's.

Billy Joel, the kid from Long Island, did a stint in Los Angeles in the early years of his musical career before he became famous. He had a contractual dispute which caused him to want to find a place to sort of hide out for a while until he'd no longer be under the unfavorable contract. This was in the early 1970's.

So under the stage name Bill Martin he did a stint as the main singer and piano player at "The Executive Room" which was a piano bar on Wilshire Blvd. in Koreatown. On Wilshire Blvd. a few blocks west of Western. That is the place that inspired him to write the song "Piano Man".

The Executive Room has been closed for years but it was still open in 1980 when 20/20 did this story on Billy Joel. The clip below is an interview from 1980 with people in the actual Executive Room being intervirewed who remembered Billy Joel from his stint there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM59T-l1zEs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles