Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,283,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't think there'd be as many tensions if the LAPD actually did their job and if things weren't left to get so out of control.
I agree.
I also think that the marching orders that LAPD get are that they should mostly 'leave the homeless alone'. That seems to be the message being sent from the politicians....that think this is what the citizens of L.A want.
But I think most citizens/taxpayers in L.A would like for the laws to be enforced and not have to deal with the many issues that the homeless create.

The problem is bigger than just LAPD and there needs to be some policy changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 07:43 AM

26,577 posts, read 26,439,806 times
Quote:
Except it's the homeless much more than the gangs that are causing the violence nowadays. Gang violence is occasional, homeless violence is constant.
I'm speaking of the continuing crime there, not specifically violence.
Venice Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,351,762 times
Quote:
The homeless related violence in Venice continues.

Venice boardwalk shooting leaves 1 dead, 1 wounded | abc7.com
Nice way to spin the news to your desired effect. The link clearly states it was the homeless who were the shooting victims and the shooting suspect was a gang member.

I am all for cleaning up the homeless mess in Venice but you have an agenda and an aversion to the truth.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:41 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,462,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I'm speaking of the continuing crime there, not specifically violence.
Venice Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Which is overwhelmingly caused by the homeless.
That home invasion you linked to was by homeless.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Which is overwhelmingly caused by the homeless. That home invasion you linked to was by homeless.
I doubt that the majority of the 8 violent crimes and 31 property crimes committed between 8/18 and 8/24--according to the Venice crime mapping link--were caused by homeless people.

And no, I don't think much has changed in the past 3 decades there, and certainly not in the Oakwood area. It's just become much more expensive to live there.
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...dangerous.html

Old 08-31-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I doubt that the majority of the 8 violent crimes and 31 property crimes committed between 8/18 and 8/24--according to the Venice crime mapping link--were caused by homeless people.

And no, I don't think much has changed in the past 3 decades there, and certainly not in the Oakwood area. It's just become much more expensive to live there.
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...dangerous.html
Ever lived in Venice? I did. I currently live in a community adjacent to Venice which is also in the Pacific Division, in which the homeless crisis of Venice spills over into.
The overwhelming, overwhelming majority of the property crimes and the overwhelming, overwhelming majority of the violent crimes were caused by homeless people. These are not people who are merely down on their luck - these are violent predators, methheads, and the severely mentally ill.

3 decades ago in Oakwood there were gang murders every night. That's no longer the case. There was a lot more open drug dealing than there is today. The demographics of Oakwood have also changed. Gang activity is way down from what it was. Fortunately, the Shoreline Crips are pretty much gone, in particular, although V13's still very much around.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Ever lived in Venice?
Yes, owned a home there many years ago. Multiple crimes, some in broad daylight, all drug related, drove us out, along with most of our neighbors.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, owned a home there many years ago. Multiple crimes, some in broad daylight, all drug related, drove us out, along with most of our neighbors.
Venice has changed through the years. The homeless invasion was not as severe when you lived there, although there were other problems. There were homeless there years ago but not to the level of how things are now. While violence is not the right way to deal with the problem and the shooting on OFW and Dudley is regrettable, it's understandable how people would get desperate enough due to the level of homeless violence to take things into their own hands.

Venice Stakeholders Association

Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,283,150 times
Yeah I agree , I'm wondering how many times that hotel owner tried to get the police to do something and was basically told " sorry they are homeless we can't bother them" basically.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:53 PM

Sounds as if Venice has really changed.

In gentrifying Venice, Trumpian rage - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles