Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 9,118 times

Advertisements

G'Day!

I'm moving from Brooklyn, NY. to Long beach for work. It looks like I may want to live downtown, just not sure where. In Brooklyn, I live in a very artsy/ lofts/ parks kind of neighborhood. What areas would I fit in in LGB? to start, I don't want to pay too much either.

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 04:50 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Belmont Shores might be a good fit. Seal Beach is right next door and is a great pedestrian city with a charming main street that leads to the pier. Downtown Long Beach - there are areas that might be okay - generally high crime, nosy, lots of traffic and dirty although there are some charming neighborhoods near downtown and the beach that might fit your needs....you really need to vist in person. Long Beach is a huge city with a lot of diversity and varying crime. If you live any place decent, you are going to pay quite a bit.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:07 PM

916 posts, read 3,699,107 times
Belmont Shore, Downtown by the coast (south of 6th), or East Village. There is also the area around 4th street (retro row) which the artsy folk seem to like.

Seal Beach will bore you.

Personally I think Belmont Shore is the best place to live in southern california but it has a big family element too so you may prefer downtown which is more urban. Both are very walkable though.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:15 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
i think that as long as you stay south of 7th, you'll probably be pretty happy about where you live. the further wast you get from the belmont shore area, the more diverse (racially and economically) the neighborhoods become. there is also a large lesbian population in the area between belmont shore and downtown. my wife used to live in belmont shore before we were married and i really liked staying at her place down there, its a lot of fun with plenty to do.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
Belmont Shore or East Arts District. Don't expect to find New York here though

Downtown, like around Pine and to the east, is another spot as well, but the neighborhood can be more sketchy if you aren't on top of the shopping centers

Old 03-15-2009, 08:26 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,757 times
Belmont Shores is nice. Signal Hill, too. It's not downtown but you may find something you'd like there.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 AM

15 posts, read 33,285 times
belmont shore for someone from brooklyn? the closest to a brooklyn feel will be downtown, somwhere in the east village probably. you can get 1brs for under $1000 there. look from ocean to 4th, from alamitos to long beach blvd.

basically anything from about redondo to long beach blvd, south of 7th (for the most part) is awesome. it really shows the character of long beach. diverse, walkable, lots of craftsmen houses, good transportation.

oh, and there is a farmers market just west of long beach blvd and 3rd every driday in the city place. there is also an "art walk" once a month but you would be better off going to see the student openings at CSULB every sunday to see better work.

Last edited by lordofthecakes; 04-11-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-11-2009, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 9,031 times
Default Move to the Belmont Shores area

If you want to move to an area that is really nice check out the Belmont Shores area. Go on Craigs List and view apartments that way. However, if you find somewhere to live don't send anyone any money who says they live out of the country and want you send your deposit via wire transfer. Just a heads up.

I moved from Chicago to Long Beach and that is how I found my apartment which I love.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,970 times
I recently moved to Long Beach (Belmont Shore area) from the east coast. We lived in a fairly urban, walkable area of Baltimore. Moving from Brooklyn, you should enjoy the Belmont Shore. We've found the people to be very neighborhood-y (people actually say, "Good morning" and "Hello" when walking down the street). There is plenty to do and see within a 10 mile radius. Public transportation (big red bus) is pretty convenient, and we often bike to Seal Beach. I hope this info is helpful; good luck with your move. Having recently returned from an east coast visit, I don't think that you will find a neighborhood as vibrant and eclectic here in CA.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,798 times
East Arts District and Alamitos Beach and maybe Belmont Shores.
There are,I think,2 farmers markets downtown a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles