Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM

244 posts, read 629,398 times

Advertisements

Hi California!

I am new to the forum, im mathieu and im from Montreal, Canada. I figured this would be the perfect place to talk about the subject... I want to move to California most probably at UCLA to study Entertainment LAW.

My entourage and parents are not pleased with this, but it's my life and my dreams I want to accomplish. I know that the Tuition is very different from here, but I am assuming it can be a good investment on the long-term period, being an Entertainment Lawyer in LA. I dropped out of school at 16 and went back at 17. I turned 20 a few months ago and I am almost done with my school and I hope to start College by January 2010 next year.

Do you think it would be a wise choice to do so? Start completely fresh and new in Los Angeles?

This is the UCLA Entertainment Law Program Entertainment Law | Centers & Programs | UCLA Law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:01 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i think your biggest issue will be getting accepted into the school. UCLA is one of the most popular schools in the US as far as applications turned in, so you will be competing with thousand and thousands of other applicants. just because you want to go there doesn't mean that you will actually have a chance to go there. you better have near perfect grades from high school and an amazing SAT score if you really want to go to UCLA.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i think your biggest issue will be getting accepted into the school. UCLA is one of the most popular schools in the US as far as applications turned in, so you will be competing with thousand and thousands of other applicants. just because you want to go there doesn't mean that you will actually have a chance to go there. you better have near perfect grades from high school and an amazing SAT score if you really want to go to UCLA.
I was going to add exactly what you are saying..UCLA is really tough and then tough to stay in once you get accepted..

Nita

Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM

I heard about it, I will defenetly look into-it and talk with them this week to see what I can do about it.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
LOL! Your best bet is attending a community college (like SMC or West LA College) for 2 years and then transferring. SMC's transfer rate is exceptionally high..frequently in the 90% ballpark.

I mean, seriously...do you think one of the best public schools in the WORLD, is going to take in some drop-out after have a "talk" with them? No offense, yo, but your best bet is to start fresh.

Peace

Old 03-16-2009, 08:36 PM

I think I wasn't cleared about it. I dropped out at 16 after some questioning about my future. I didn't like the High School I went to, it really got me dissapointed. But I went back, and I am almost done I have a few books to finish. It was a stupid decision, because I am a great student with good grades and I guess you don't realize how precious time and life can be when you are young and ignorant.

I realized my mistakes and im in a fresh new start actually and have been for a while and im hoping for a new life in Entertainment Law.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Here are some statistics for admission to UCLA for last year in case you have not looked:

Freshmen:
Applicants 55,437
Admits 12,660
New Registered Freshmen 4,735
22.8% of Applicants Accepted

Middle 50th percentile scores, entering Freshmen, Fall 2008

SAT Combined 1760 - 2080
SAT Critical Reading 570 - 680
SAT Math 600 - 730
SAT Writing 580 - 700
ACT Composite 25 - 31

Unweighted GPA, entering undergraduates, Fall 2008

Freshman HS GPA, mean (5-point scale) 4.22
Freshman HS GPA, mid 50% (5-point scale) 4.09 - 4.42
Transfer GPA, mean (4-point scale) 3.58
Transfer GPA, mid 50% (4-point scale) 3.39 - 3.81

2.6% of the freshman that enrolled last year were from schools outside the USA.
UCLA Office of Analysis and Information Management | AIM

Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 PM

252 posts, read 960,773 times
Law school in the US requires an undergraduate degree, and based on your post, you do not possess one.

The law school at UCLA is indeed an excellent one that has a top notch program in entertainment law, but you will need to obtain an undergraduate degree, attain good grades in the process (average undergrad GPA for UCLA Law is 3.74), and score well on the LSAT (average for UCLA Law is 168, which is the 97th percentile) before you apply to UCLA School of Law. From a financial perspective, you might consider obtaining an undergraduate degree in your native Canada (at, say, McGill), as it is much cheaper up there.

Anyway, your dream sounds fine, but you're quite a few steps ahead of yourself if you're thinking about law school prior to attaining an undergraduate degree (or at least being close to obtaining one).

Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.LA View Post
Law school in the US requires an undergraduate degree, and based on your post, you do not possess one.

The law school at UCLA is indeed an excellent one that has a top notch program in entertainment law, but you will need to obtain an undergraduate degree, attain good grades in the process (average undergrad GPA for UCLA Law is 3.74), and score well on the LSAT (average for UCLA Law is 168, which is the 97th percentile) before you apply to UCLA School of Law. From a financial perspective, you might consider obtaining an undergraduate degree in your native Canada (at, say, McGill), as it is much cheaper up there.

Anyway, your dream sounds fine, but you're quite a few steps ahead of yourself if you're thinking about law school prior to attaining an undergraduate degree (or at least being close to obtaining one).
Good point. I was assuming he wanted his undergrad degree at UCLA too. He needs to do exactly what you said.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 AM

105 posts, read 580,152 times
If you're not looking to move because of the weather, why not go to McGill? Great school, comparable with UCLA or Cal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles