Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times

Advertisements

To the OP, as another poster pointed out the black population in LA hovers around 10 percent which is where it has been for a long time. However, it's noteworthy that LA still has one of the largest black populations in the country when compared to other cities and metro areas.

Based on the 2000 Census, the cities with the largest black populations are:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Detroit
4. Philadelphia
5. Houston
6. Los Angeles
7. Baltimore
8. Memphis
9. Washington, D.C.
10. New Orleans

http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-5.pdf

The metro areas with the largest black populations are:

1. New York
2. Atlanta
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington, D.C.
6. Philadelphia
7. Detroit
8. Houston
9. Baltimore
10. Dallas-Fort Worth

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 01:21 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
To the OP, as another poster pointed out the black population in LA hovers around 10 percent which is where it has been for a long time. However, it's noteworthy that LA still has one of the largest black populations in the country when compared to other cities and metro areas.

Based on the 2000 Census, the cities with the largest black populations are:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Detroit
4. Philadelphia
5. Houston
6. Los Angeles
7. Baltimore
8. Memphis
9. Washington, D.C.
10. New Orleans

http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-5.pdf

The metro areas with the largest black populations are:

1. New York
2. Atlanta
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington, D.C.
6. Philadelphia
7. Detroit
8. Houston
9. Baltimore
10. Dallas-Fort Worth

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for posting the data and shows that LA is a very large city w/ a strong Black community. I think the move into the suburbs or Palmdale area is why South LA is losing Blacks.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:56 AM

22 posts, read 77,788 times
The black population has dropped from 26% in the 80's in Los Angeles to 8.9% now. Most are going south most blacks who are leaving Los Angeles are going to cities in Texas such as Dallas, Houston, (Austin which has seen a boom in it's black population) And some have gone to Atlanta. The fact is most of us are fed up in Cali with the B.S. so were getting the Moderator cut: heck out. Los Angeles remind me of the old south the way they treat blacks here. This is one black man who is part of the great reverse migration to the south.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-18-2009 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 AM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
That list is a crock of bull. Sheer size doesn't mean anything. All of the cities on that list have a much higher % of Blacks (all above 25%) , and thus they/we are more visible in those cities. No more, No less.

Why are you using data that's almost 10 years old? Hundreds of thousands of Blacks have fled since 2000, and even when that was counted, I'm sure it wasn't 100% accurate.

On a different note, Some of these posters should be Black in LA for a week and see what is like, only then may some of you not post such absurd rubbish (not directed at anybody in this thread). Especially to the people who say "racism doesn't exist", LOL. Do you guys know what its like to deal with racism from whites, but also from people halfway across the world? The ones who don't attempt to even hide their racism, instead making it blatant and overt? The smug Armenians in Hollywood who give me vacant, blank stares, the old Korean grandma's in Ktown who stare at you non-stop when you walk into their stores, the rude Persians on Pico/Blvd and Robertson thinking I'm trying to steal one of their dirty ass rugs, Chinese in Chinatown telling the security guard to keep an eye on me when I walk in to get a snack, Hipsters in Silverlake calling me Moderator cut: offensive names and asking me offensive stereotypical questions, then hiding under their faux liberalism, Mexicans in South Gate teaching their kids to call me "cocolos" and "miyates", etc etc etc

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-18-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
That list is a crock of bull. Why are you using data that's almost 10 years old? Hundreds of thousands of Blacks have fled since 2000, and even when that was counted, I'm sure it wasn't 100% accurate.
Yes, that data is based on the 2000 Census, but I don't think the drop has been as dramatic as you suggest. The 2005-2007 Census estimate for LA County has the black population at 883,991 which is still very sizable.

If you have data to the contrary, then let's see it.

Los Angeles County, California - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill
Some of these posters should be Black in LA for a week and see what is like, only then may some of you not post such absurd rubbish (not directed at anybody in this thread).

I am black. Are you? And I have been in LA for far longer than a week. LOL

Old 03-18-2009, 10:42 AM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
My main issue was you using the list in the first place. The overall percentage is still low! LOL. ~900,000 Blacks vs what? 6,000,000 Mexicans?

That list is very deceiving and the only reason LA is on that list is due to the sheer size of the city, not because it has a large (in terms of %) Black population, as the list would have one believe.

And yes, I am Black.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:53 AM

127 posts, read 500,293 times
Due to Moderator cut: many social issues blacks AND whites have packed their bags and FLED Los Angeles.

Sure, there are little pockets within the city where you can have a good life, where parents VALUE an education and where boys as young as 12 aren't inducted into gang life overall but you'll be pressed to find them. ESPECIALLY if you are non-latino. Los Angeles itself really isn't a great place to live. California on a whole is going down the toilet so fast it'll make your head spin. If you're smart - you'll stay away b/c this place isn't what it used to be.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-18-2009 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Racist comments

Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransomed View Post
Due to Moderator cut: many social issues blacks AND whites have packed their bags and FLED Los Angeles.

Sure, there are little pockets within the city where you can have a good life, where parents VALUE an education and where boys as young as 12 aren't inducted into gang life overall but you'll be pressed to find them. ESPECIALLY if you are non-latino. Los Angeles itself really isn't a great place to live. California on a whole is going down the toilet so fast it'll make your head spin. If you're smart - you'll stay away b/c this place isn't what it used to be.
Ransomed,

Where is the great utopia all blacks and whites (according to you) are escaping to? Los Angeles has some issues. But I have friends in both Atlanta and Dallas who left here looking for El Dorado. Guess what? They are trying to come back.

And California is not going down the toilet. The UNITED STATES is going down the toilet. Many of the very same circumstances that are making things tough in Los Angeles are affecting every major city in America. Our current financial situation is global, and dominoes are falling all across this country.

Keep in mind the bulk of America's black population is still in the southeast. It always has been. However, Los Angeles is a major, global city. Ethnic diversity will always be a part of this city. That includes blacks. Unfortunately we do seem to be losing our economic diversity, but that is another thread.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Ransomed,

Where is the great utopia all blacks and whites (according to you) are escaping to? Los Angeles has some issues. But I have friends in both Atlanta and Dallas who left here looking for El Dorado. Guess what? They are trying to come back.

And California is not going down the toilet. The UNITED STATES is going down the toilet. Many of the very same circumstances that are making things tough in Los Angeles are affecting every major city in America. Our current financial situation is global, and dominoes are falling all across this country.

Keep in mind the bulk of America's black population is still in the southeast. It always has been. However, Los Angeles is a major, global city. Ethnic diversity will always be a part of this city. That includes blacks. Unfortunately we do seem to be losing our economic diversity, but that is another thread.
Well stated

I am sorry to read of the prejudice encountered by several posters & fully know that it is true. As a social worker, I have worked in South LA & know that unless education & job opportunities improve drastically then we will see more poverty\ crime\ gangs. But I haven't seen anyone "flee". There really isn't anywhere to go & most people stay where their families are living.

As horrible as the rude behavior toward Blacks is in Los Angeles, let me assure you it is much worse outside California [esp Texas\ South

Old 03-18-2009, 01:54 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
That list is a crock of bull. Sheer size doesn't mean anything. All of the cities on that list have a much higher % of Blacks (all above 25%) , and thus they/we are more visible in those cities. No more, No less.

Why are you using data that's almost 10 years old? Hundreds of thousands of Blacks have fled since 2000, and even when that was counted, I'm sure it wasn't 100% accurate.

On a different note, Some of these posters should be Black in LA for a week and see what is like, only then may some of you not post such absurd rubbish (not directed at anybody in this thread). Especially to the people who say "racism doesn't exist", LOL. Do you guys know what its like to deal with racism from whites, but also from people halfway across the world? The ones who don't attempt to even hide their racism, instead making it blatant and overt? The smug Armenians in Hollywood who give me vacant, blank stares, the old Korean grandma's in Ktown who stare at you non-stop when you walk into their stores, the rude Persians on Pico/Blvd and Robertson thinking I'm trying to steal one of their dirty ass rugs, Chinese in Chinatown telling the security guard to keep an eye on me when I walk in to get a snack, Hipsters in Silverlake calling me Moderator cut: offensive names and asking me offensive stereotypical questions, then hiding under their faux liberalism, Mexicans in South Gate teaching their kids to call me "cocolos" and "miyates", etc etc etc
Damn, dude, you have a big chip on your shoulder. You always focus on the negative.
Thank god you didn't live during the 50s, 60s, or you'd really have something to be upset about.

You talk about different groups having stereotypes about Blacks, and being rude to Blacks.
But from many of your posts, you say many things that have offended me as a Hispanic, and offensive stuff about other immigrant groups all the time.
A bit hypocritical, no?

Let me ask you this: if you're so bummed out about traditionally Black neighborhoods like South Central going through demographic shifts, why don't you move there yourself to hold down the fort? Don't you live somewhere around Fairfax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles