Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb3 View Post
Marylinn is right, Cali is robbing us blind in many ways.

Tow yard companies, the OPGs (Official Police Garages) do everything, pull every trick into holding your car as long as possible for higher fees or lien sales. Due to work, I visit maybe 3-4 yards a week. They straight out lie regarding who can access or pick up the cars. When I correct them about their lies (or merely "inaccuracies") they're dumbfounded into inaction. Just happened today. The guy behind the counter was lying. I knew it so I asked for his immediate "higher up". He then knew I knew he was lying, he then said "I am the mgr here" and changed his demeanor and correctly let me access his lot. I probably will return to this lot soon so I stroked his ego and said "thanks, I appreciate that".

Getting back to lending cars, nothing good can come out of it should anything happen.
Thanks Snb3, your post is very encouraging. It shows that not all Californians have been "brainwashed" into accepting this b.s. as justified.

It seems like no one gets the point that I WAS NOT THE ONE DRIVING, SO I SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET MY CAR BACK. No one was hurt and there was no criminal activity, so WHY WASN'T I ALLOWED TO GET MY CAR BACK BEFORE THIRTY DAYS??!!!

It wasn't right to keep my car if I wasn't the driver. That's all I'm trying to say, but for some reason people are either putting blinders over their eyes, because they don't want to believe that their police department, state and local city governments are in league with the tow companies to rip them off. To believe the "truth" would cause "anarchy", so it's better to believe otherwise.

No wonder the hippie culture started here "make love, not war". Suckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Question for Marilynn,

Are you still here?

Just asking, since you said nothing but bad things about this state & the people here.
I'm still here. I need to save some money to leave and I know I've said some demeaning things about LA people, but I'm an outsider from NYC. "Complacency" and "blase" acceptance of bullcrap is not our style, so as you can imagine Southern California has been a culture shock for me. Not just ME, but other east coasters as well.

Unfortunately, we imagined LA to be one way, but whenever you think you've seen or heard it all here, something comes along to top it. This thing with the tow trucking companies and police department TOPPED it for me.

NOTHING SURPRISES ME HERE ANYMORE. Nothing.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Thanks Snb3, your post is very encouraging. It shows that not all Californians have been "brainwashed" into accepting this b.s. as justified.

It seems like no one gets the point that I WAS NOT THE ONE DRIVING, SO I SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET MY CAR BACK. No one was hurt and there was no criminal activity, so WHY WASN'T I ALLOWED TO GET MY CAR BACK BEFORE THIRTY DAYS??!!!

It wasn't right to keep my car if I wasn't the driver. That's all I'm trying to say, but for some reason people are either putting blinders over their eyes, because they don't want to believe that their police department, state and local city governments are in league with the tow companies to rip them off. To believe the "truth" would cause "anarchy", so it's better to believe otherwise.

No wonder the hippie culture started here "make love, not war". Suckers.
No one has been "brainwashed", just screwed over! CA laws have been passed for a reason! We demand them!
I think everyone who has read your thread knows you were not driving, as you have shouted it out several times. The law is working well! The owner of a car is responsible for it!
Think of this from the other side of your rant.
Please, I do not mean any disrespect to any Canadians here. The situation I present could be from any race.

Hector, one of many illegal residents is borrowing his cousins Juan's truck. Hector hits your car in a parking lot, the police find that not only is he a illegal, but he has no license, no insurance and the car is his cousin Juan's. Who will pay for your damage on your car?? Hector is running for the border and Juan was not driving the car that hit you! Juan is upset that his truck was towed and impounded illegally. But Juan is still driving Hector's truck, what?? This thread could well be the rant of a driver who will never be repaid for body damage, or possible medical costs. CA law allows that even a child can legally own a car, it only needs a licensed insured driver to it legally drive it! Too many people look for the loopholes that enable them to continue to break the law!

What if you were hit by a car on the road owned by Hertz/rentacar - you want to be compensated, right?? What if they told you he was not a licensed driver and they were not responsible? I bet you would be upset that they had not confirmed he had a valid driving license!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
,,The solution in cases like this is to keep a cool head and not get accusatory, use bad language, yell at the officer on the other end of the phone, etc...which it sounds like maybe you did. The officer had the power to give you different information and chose not to do so - probably because of your attitude (understandable that you would be upset). However, it is perfectly within state law to impound your vehicle for 30 days. LAPD will often make an exception to the law in cases like yours.
Well said!

Quote:
,,This is one thing I've noticed about Californians - they hate CONFRONTATION in any manner, which is the complete opposite of New York. Californians are very bold when inside their cars, talking on the phone, email or internet, leaving notes, etc., but in face to face meetings they cave. Don't know why, but they just do.
And where do you hide? Behind the internet in a forum? Have you been in these face to face meetings where people cave? Which one were you?
I and many people I know get in daily conflicts, face to face.
I woke up in the hospital from a assault by a neighbor who complained I owned too many cars. I told him I did not give a f*** about him and his complaint, the police declined to record it.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,540 times
Quote:
I'm still here. I need to save some money to leave and I know I've said some demeaning things about LA people, but I'm an outsider from NYC. "Complacency" and "blase" acceptance of bullcrap is not our style, so as you can imagine Southern California has been a culture shock for me. Not just ME, but other east coasters as well.

Unfortunately, we imagined LA to be one way, but whenever you think you've seen or heard it all here, something comes along to top it. This thing with the tow trucking companies and police department TOPPED it for me.

NOTHING SURPRISES ME HERE ANYMORE. Nothing.

Although I disagree with some of the stuff you posted, I appreciate your honesty and totally respect that.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Although I disagree with some of the stuff you posted, I appreciate your honesty and totally respect that.
I can readily agree with that.
I understand the frustration and deep feelings. I even encourage complaints to the state concerning this.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
And where do you hide? Behind the internet in a forum? Have you been in these face to face meetings where people cave? Which one were you?
I and many people I know get in daily conflicts, face to face.
I woke up in the hospital from a assault by a neighbor who complained I owned too many cars. I told him I did not give a f*** about him and his complaint, the police declined to record it.
Of course I have or I wouldn't have said it!!

Why in the hell would I say something like that unless it happened????? People pop mess here over the phone, internet, email, in their cars (slamming their car horns for no damn reason), etc., but when you get up and personal on them they act like they don't know what the hell it is you're talking about!!

There's a whole LIST OF THINGS I could recite, but I ain't got all day (or night). It wouldn't matter anyway, because YOU STILL WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT THE HELL I WAS TALKING ABOUT!

U gonna give me some Juan, Hector analogies...What the hell does that have to do with MY situation???!!! The driver was AMERICAN not latino and NO ONE WAS HURT, so I should have been able to get my car back. Period. Point blank.

GTFOHWTBS!!!!!!! And yes, if I was talking to you in "person" I'd be reciting this same crap back to YOUR FACE.

I just wanted to get a good handle on how many people agreed with the crap law. Thank God ONE Californian believes it to be a scam, so there's hope for the rest of the damn state (that is if they could ever get over their hate of illegals long enough to notice).

Old 03-29-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks. We're not going to agree on "everything", but sometimes seeing things from an "outside" perspective can certainly help.

But if people don't believe anything to be wrong then "change" won't happen.

It suddenly dawned on me that because of the fear of the "dreaded illegal Mexican" (again), that F'd up laws like this are allowed to flourish unscathed. But it's not just affecting the "illegals", regular citizens are getting hurt too.

But as long as it stops those unlicensed Mexicans from driving drunk (and God knows what else), then we'll sacrifice a few for the greater good.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to get a good handle on how many people agreed with the crap law. Thank God ONE Californian believes it to be a scam, so there's hope for the rest of the damn state (that is if they could ever get over their hate of illegals long enough to notice).
OK, I see you are a troll. Or in the least a whiner!

There is not a CA driver here who does not have stories about conflicts on the freeway about being hit, items being thrown, broken windows. Often in the same day! Get over it! Traffic sucks! You don't like it, move!

Ok. you lost a $500 car to a friend without a license or insurance. How about countless drivers who do not whine here about being hit by uninsured drivers? I have received several accidents by uninsured drivers and ate bills amounting to over $5000 each time. That is why I have insurance, to cover a**holes who do not insure their cars.

You cry about a analogy of Juan and Hector, fine! My brother David moved out here from White Plains, NY. He has no license due to child support. Would I trust him to drive a car of mine? F**k no! I have enough intelligence to beware of a condition that he may well be un-licensed.

As far as your statement of your hatred of illegal immigrants, I have many friends who have questionable greencards. I do not care about nationality if my fellow worker knows what we are doing.
Think of the current "Don't ask. Don't tell" policy.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
OK, I see you are a troll. Or in the least a whiner!

There is not a CA driver here who does not have stories about conflicts on the freeway about being hit, items being thrown, broken windows. Often in the same day! Get over it! Traffic sucks! You don't like it, move!

Ok. you lost a $500 car to a friend without a license or insurance. How about countless drivers who do not whine here about being hit by uninsured drivers? I have received several accidents by uninsured drivers and ate bills amounting to over $5000 each time. That is why I have insurance, to cover a**holes who do not insure their cars.

You cry about a analogy of Juan and Hector, fine! My brother David moved out here from White Plains, NY. He has no license due to child support. Would I trust him to drive a car of mine? F**k no! I have enough intelligence to beware of a condition that he may well be un-licensed.

As far as your statement of your hatred of illegal immigrants, I have many friends who have questionable greencards. I do not care about nationality if my fellow worker knows what we are doing.
Think of the current "Don't ask. Don't tell" policy.
Ferretkona, I apologize for my previous post, but you made it seem like I was making up things from thin air. The non-confrontational attitudes here have been MY experience and I have no need to lie about them.

Your brother, unfortunately, due to back child support is screwed. I have a problem with this particular punishment as well. Suspending his license is not going to have him get the money up any faster. Due to the U.S.'s weak economy, finding a decent job or two is a problem. Which is made WORSE by the fact that your brother isn't allowed to drive. I'm quite sure if you did lend him the car he'd be extra careful, but as we BOTH KNOW that would be a MAJOR mistake in California just in case a checkpoint is set up.

As far as accidents on the road, that's a completely different scenario and should be handled accordingly.

Yeah, the car was a $500 hoopdie and I had to pay an additional $500 for the tow company to (steal) take it from me, but I shouldn't have had to. All I'm saying is that the mandatory 30 day hold is justified if the driver pulled over is the registered owner of the vehicle. My beef is that no one was hurt, the car was insured, the person driving was an unlicensed American citizen who rightly should have been pulled over for the dumb move he made, BUT I should have been allowed to get my vehicle out BEFORE 30 days. That's all.

I knew I would have to pay a towing fine, but to penalize me with a $1200 (nearly $1500 total) fine is ridiculous! There should be exceptions made to this law for cases like mine, but there isn't. Why? It's wrong, plain and simple and I'm going to continue to tell EVERYONE I come in contact about it, so that they too know the deal.

Maybe it will get some people to get riled up about something besides illegals.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Ferretkona, I apologize for my previous post, but you made it seem like I was making up things from thin air. The non-confrontational attitudes here have been MY experience and I have no need to lie about them.

Your brother, unfortunately, due to back child support is screwed. I have a problem with this particular punishment as well. Suspending his license is not going to have him get the money up any faster. Due to the U.S.'s weak economy, finding a decent job or two is a problem. Which is made WORSE by the fact that your brother isn't allowed to drive. I'm quite sure if you did lend him the car he'd be extra careful, but as we BOTH KNOW that would be a MAJOR mistake in California just in case a checkpoint is set up.

As far as accidents on the road, that's a completely different scenario and should be handled accordingly.

Yeah, the car was a $500 hoopdie and I had to pay an additional $500 for the tow company to (steal) take it from me, but I shouldn't have had to. All I'm saying is that the mandatory 30 day hold is justified if the driver pulled over is the registered owner of the vehicle. My beef is that no one was hurt, the car was insured, the person driving was an unlicensed American citizen who rightly should have been pulled over for the dumb move he made, BUT I should have been allowed to get my vehicle out BEFORE 30 days. That's all.

I knew I would have to pay a towing fine, but to penalize me with a $1200 (nearly $1500 total) fine is ridiculous! There should be exceptions made to this law for cases like mine, but there isn't. Why? It's wrong, plain and simple and I'm going to continue to tell EVERYONE I come in contact about it, so that they too know the deal.

Maybe it will get some people to get riled up about something besides illegals.
I'm thinking about what was said here by the wife of the officer. The reason your car was impounded is because you lent your car to an unlicensed driver. As far as the state is concerned, they don't care who the owner of the car is...it doesn't matter to them. Once the unlicensed driver is behind the wheel, they have to do what they have to do to keep him off the roads.

How are they to know that you won't 'lend' your car to this unlicensed driver again? Lets say they let you get your car the next day, there's no way they know that this unlicensed driver won't be driving your car tomorrow.

Lets say there was a hundred situations like yours, exactly the same and we put them into a computer simulation. How many of the 100 owners would 'relend' their car to the unlicensed driver the next day? It wouldn't be zero...someone would get 'talked into' lending their car to the unlicensed driver even after they got their car impounded and went thru having to get their car out of the 'dog pound'.

You're thinking, "yeah, but i wasn't the one driving". But, as far as the state is concerned, you lending your car to an unlicensed driver is considered pretty bad even though you aren't thinking that what you did is bad, they think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles