Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
I read the message boards about racism and there is a lot of hostility aimed at African Americans. Lots of races want to dress Black, talk Black, act Black, but don't want to be Black. After all this time, after all the strides we have made, why are we still saddled with negative stereotypes? I am tired of people seeing "Black, lazy, unintelligent" when they first see me. I go to school full time, work part-time, and I am raising a child. My grade point average has always been 3.0 or better. So why do I have to prove myself everywhere I go? Is there anyone out there who doesn't have a negative image of Black people? Please help. Being Black is not a crime, but it certainly feels like it.
I think that a lot of young black men feel the need to 'act' black. Black people probably feel that its 'us against them' so in order to 'fit in' you have to 'fit in' sort of speak.

Its a shame that people are not judged as individuals, i can't even imagine how you feel.

This hip hop society we are in now makes being a 'gangsta' seem very cool. You have role models like Allen Iverson of the NBA sporting 100 tattoos, doo rags and singing rap songs and hanging out with his posse thats a horrible image he's giving to kids. He's a famous black man and he's doing no good being a role model. For every black role model out there, there's 10 who just want to pack a pistol and get another tattoo. You got guys like 50 cent writing books about getting rich or die trying, cmon now, what kind of image is that? Despicable. Another famous black man who's looked up to leading impressionable young black men the wrong way.

Maybe you need to get the mindset that who you are is a good thing and not a bad thing. You can't change who you are and you shouldnt try. Be proud and just feel sorry for the people who judge you without knowing you. People who are racists are going to have hate no matter what. There is plenty of hate to go around. Be strong, don't let the haters get to you. Don't let them win. Use the 'i'll show you' mentality to your advantage.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:29 PM

35 posts, read 205,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I think that a lot of young black men feel the need to 'act' black. Black people probably feel that its 'us against them' so in order to 'fit in' you have to 'fit in' sort of speak.

Its a shame that people are not judged as individuals, i can't even imagine how you feel.

This hip hop society we are in now makes being a 'gangsta' seem very cool. You have role models like Allen Iverson of the NBA sporting 100 tattoos, doo rags and singing rap songs and hanging out with his posse thats a horrible image he's giving to kids. He's a famous black man and he's doing no good being a role model. For every black role model out there, there's 10 who just want to pack a pistol and get another tattoo. You got guys like 50 cent writing books about getting rich or die trying, cmon now, what kind of image is that? Despicable. Another famous black man who's looked up to leading impressionable young black men the wrong way.

Maybe you need to get the mindset that who you are is a good thing and not a bad thing. You can't change who you are and you shouldnt try. Be proud and just feel sorry for the people who judge you without knowing you. People who are racists are going to have hate no matter what. There is plenty of hate to go around. Be strong, don't let the haters get to you. Don't let them win. Use the 'i'll show you' mentality to your advantage.

Yes, Wall St kid,

I will show them with my college degree. That is something NO ONE can take from me. Frustration at Black stereotypes is one thing, giving up because of it is another. I will never let that be an excuse to quit trying, quit striving. Thank you for the encouraging words.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:55 PM

35 posts, read 185,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Okay. I'm going to assume that either has to be sarcasm or genuine warmth of human feeling. (Final Jeopardy interlude playing in background) Okay, I vote for...genuine warmth of human feeling. Thank you, Dennis!
I'm serious

Old 03-28-2007, 05:06 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times
A public condemnation of slavery would be good. However, as was posted earlier, pretty much anyone with the intelligence level of a pencil readily acknowledges it was wrong. The problem with the government apologizing is that the race-baiters (Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson) would then see that as a de facto justification for reparations which would be totally wrong.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:13 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
Yes, Wall St kid,

I will show them with my college degree. That is something NO ONE can take from me. Frustration at Black stereotypes is one thing, giving up because of it is another. I will never let that be an excuse to quit trying, quit striving. Thank you for the encouraging words.
No problem.

Live your life with honor, always.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:25 PM

23 posts, read 77,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
No problem.

Live your life with honor, always.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.

Brilliant...

Old 03-28-2007, 05:46 PM

131 posts, read 510,230 times
Any non black people from upper class want to comment on how they view blacks who are educated and successful? Be truthful, do you wonder how they got to where they are? Do you assume their upbringing was easy and uneventful or difficult?

Donna7, this is the class I'm referring to. Upper-class to upper middle-class.
The majority of americans have to work for what they want.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post
Any non black people from upper class want to comment on how they view blacks who are educated and successful? Be truthful, do you wonder how they got to where they are? Do you assume their upbringing was easy and uneventful or difficult?

I was surprised to see this question because I'm not sure what the goal is. Can you explain why you're asking only certain people to respond? Just curious.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post

Donna7, this is the class I'm referring to. Upper-class to upper middle-class.
The majority of americans have to work for what they want.
Also, call me oversensitive, but was it really necessary to double-whammy Donna, first explaining carefully to her that she's low-classed and next explaining to her that she's not an American? We actually do not know Donna isn't an American. She speaks of all this as having been a young girl. For all we know she since became a U.S. citizen. And yes, that WOULD mean that she is in fact American.

Not having been born here wouldn't mean she was the exception, since this country has always had immigrants and can be counted on to continue to have immigrants. I mean I could be wrong in what I'm sensing here, but...if what you're deciding the "typical white American" is a person born not from any other country but born in the U.S., to a wealthy family, then you are NOT speaking of the "typical" American--at all. Crunch the math...or just Google. What percentage of U.S. citizens, including the ones you have decided in advance view educated blacks in a certain way (and apparently we ordinary middle-class-ers can not shake you of), are wealthy?

Something about the tone of that post just bugged me inside and out. I hope I'm not reading it all wrong, but I don't think I am. I don't appreciate someone trying to squeeze my race into sterotypes and even changing search criteria to suit those pre-assumed beliefs, any more than you enjoy someone trying to squeeze *you* into pre-assumed beliefs.

ETA: Okay, a three-second Google search yielded the result that 86% of U.S. citizens earn less than $100K/year (not even what any sane person reading this from the perspective of SoCal would consider wealthy, actually). So what you're looking for in order to support your decision that whites view you negatively for your skin color is 14% of the population. Surely you understand that such a sample is NOT exactly going to yield an accurate portrayal--even anecdotally--of how "most" white people view you. As a matter of fact, being white myself I can say that I am currently viewing you in a slightly guarded way not because you're black, but because you have effectively wiped out the input of the majority of whites in general. I just question the motivation and it makes me suspicous. And trust me...it is NOT because of your skin color. (wiggling facetious eyes emoticon...oh damn these limited emoticons anyway) Bottom line: I don't appreciate racism coming from white people, and I don't appreciate it coming from Asian people, and I don't appreciate it coming from pink and orange striped people, and I don't appreciate it coming from you.

Last edited by JerZ; 03-28-2007 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-28-2007, 06:44 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Want to know what I think? I think that if certain white individuals see a misguided young black person then they should do something about it. STOP THINKING BLACK PEOPLE ARE SCARY! Sweet, warmhearted people, who unfortunately often have the wrong upbringing. Be parents to ALL of our children. No matter what color. It takes a village to raise a child. As Americans, we're in this together. Look at Angelina Jolie...although I do sometimes wonder how she's gonna manage to do that child's head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles