Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:07 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
L.A. isn't for most people. That's why so many Caucasians are running for their lives.

Next time try San Diego-

larger middle class
not overrun down to mexican standards
less expensive
less traffic
Really? I just assumed it was at least as bad as L.A. given its proximity to the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle View Post
And next time someone visit New York and he find there blacks and latinos everywhere, you should say he might try better a town in New Hampshire...

Big cities have the same problems, and SanDi now is still good, but SanDi boom is due to Los Angeles congestion, so in not many years will be as Los angeles, as run down as many areas in Los Angeles-Riverside-San bernardino-Orange Counties, if still isnt.

Mexicans, gangs, poors, and migration are not only an LA problem, it affect any urban old area from Ventura to Riverside, including places of OC as Santa Ana, Anaheim....

I dont know why Sandiego is better if its close to Mexico, and Mexicans are the first problem in Los Angeles.....
I was in Manhattan in 1988. The whole week I was there, I saw TWO Latinos, believe it or not.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Agreed SandyCo. I had just posted on another message board how the anti-immigration rhetoric is NON-STOP here and always directed towards MEXICANS. Sheesh! There ARE OTHER RACES HERE ILLEGALLY besides Mexicans! And they are NOT going anywhere, so people need to deal with it.

I have never seen so much obvious blatant dislike for one group of people in my life. I wasn't around during the "black" hate days, so I can honestly say the obvious "in your face" racism was gone by the time I grew up (thank goodness), but the continuous "go back to Mexico" chants are scary. Until stricter measures are made to landlords and businesses to not hire them NOTHING is going to make them go away or change.

How many of these other groups are waving a foreign flag and proclaiming that the U.S. Southwest was stolen from them, and that they'll take it back, house by house, neighborhood by neighborhood, city by city, state by state? And just wait until this coming May 1st, when we'll see even more fifth columnists proclaiming the Reconquista of America. BTW, see my thread in the immigration forum with links to Youtube videos documented by Save Our State and others. Sandy said we can't discuss this here anyway, so pick it up in the immigration forum, but I suggest you watch the videos I posted links to first.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:26 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
I was in Manhattan in 1988. The whole week I was there, I saw TWO Latinos, believe it or not.
You're not serious...? I mean I'm not doubting you but...how did you manage to find two Latinos total while you were in NYC? Or were you there only a very short time--like, landing at JFK and catching a connecting flight? Actually, that's not possible either, being JFK. It is after all an international airport. (ETA: Sorry...I see you said you were there an entire week.)

Were you in Midtown? Were you at Times Square? Actually...even there I can't believe you wouldn't see Latinos.

I am VERY VERY curious about this now. What were the circumstances? Can you elaborate? I lived 15 miles from Midtown in northern NJ for 25 years, beginning in 1980, and I can not believe you didn't see hispanic individuals. NYC is famed for its flavor, part of that being, for instance, Puerto Rican, and other cultures as well. All other cultures. That's what NYC is. That's part of what makes it so cool.

Anyway...did a double-take and re-read your sentence a hundred times and I don't know if maybe you were kidding or what...not trying to stir something up, I promise...

Old 03-26-2007, 01:34 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Folks,

Immigration debates belong here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/immigration

I understand that the "Mexican Invasion" issue is SoCal-specific at times, but people.....please reread the original post...less than 25% of the thread is relevant to the immigration issue and was part of a larger picture painted of life in Los Angeles....

Old 03-26-2007, 01:37 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I lived and worked in LA for a three month period last year while I was training for a new job. I did not know anyone so I spent my off time exploring the City in my car. Here are my observations about LA

LA is only for the rich or the poor. If you have alot of money there is sure alot of ways to spend it. The shops, great restaurants, clubs, theatres, cultural events and the housing will break the budget of anyone. If you are poor- no one seems to care if you live 15 to a house with all your friends and neighbors, just like they did in Mexico.

The commuting horror stories are legend. I talked to many people who drove a hundred miles a day.

The amount of Mexicans- who appeared to be illegal- and would sit or stand outside all day is incredible. It reminded me so much of being in Mexico. They have invaded the country without firing a shot.

Spanish is everywhere. It is nearly impossible to get a job in LA unless you do not speak some Spanish. Many Fast Food staff do not speak English.

I saw so many neighborhoods that have gone down hill. I am not sure even the Brady Bunch could exist anymore in LA. So many previously middle class neighborhoods from the 1960s and 70s have been overtaken by Hispanic gangs and have 15 people living in houses.

LA is basically a group of Long "Taco Bell strips" Long roads with one gas station, fast food restaurant and strip centers for miles and miles. So urban and so much concrete.

The Glamour is hard to find.
------------------

I hated LA but enjoyed visiting this scary indication of the future of America in the 21st Century.

I cant talk about illegals in this thread, but I can ask this: How bad do you feel the crime is? Also why is LA good for poor people, do they live there for the welfare? Cheap labor? Dont you think they could be living elsewhere like Texas and three to a house instead of fifteen to a house? How fast and how much are house prices dropping if LA is so bad, what reason would keep house prices high? Maybe the upper class houses will keep their value because theres demand by the rich people but what reason is there for a lower class house to cost $400k?

Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
CA is a welfare state!! They are better taken care of here then the working people.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:21 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Really? I just assumed it was at least as bad as L.A. given its proximity to the border.
Ahh no. San Diego is a breeze compared to L.A. Some jams during rush hour, but nothing like the 405 on a saturday!

Whites are still the majority in San Diego. Hispanics make up only about 25%. Avoid the Southeast sections of the city. Middle class commutter towns such as Santee, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Tierrasanta, are still VERY white and safe compared to L.A.

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 03-26-2007 at 09:54 AM..

Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
The original post didn't focus exclusively on race, so any other posts from here on that do will be deleted. I realize that I am guily of this as well, so none of the posts up to this point will be removed. (Even mods slip up once in a while!) This has been a good discussion, but really, this does belong in the Immigration forum. Thank you.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
The difference is that LA is taken over by one race...
Sorry, SandyCo, but I hope you'll let my borderline two-cents' reply to newportbeachsmostwanted's post slide.

I see a multitude of ethnicities and nationalities in LA, not just one. My guess is that the reference is to people from Mexico. They've been here since before the other invasion (1846-49).

Last edited by Winston Smith; 03-26-2007 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles