Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times

Advertisements

You and Radical Raul need to talk .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM

38 posts, read 50,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richierichh View Post
Whenever there is a list of most desirable cities, LA is *ALWAYS* at the end, behind New York, San Diego and San Francisco.

The people coming here are mostly illegal immigrants who have no choice, or people who are relocated for jobs.

I can see how NYC, San Francisco and San Diego could be magical (S.D. and it's typical "SoCal lifestyle", San Francisco and its charm, and New York and it's cosmo/glitz/$$/opportunities). LA is good, but you must be high if you think this ugly, smoggy, illegal ridden dump is anywhere near a top desirable spot.
It amazes me that you aparently read through my entire post, yet you still cannot produce an answer to the question for which it was written...

Let me get this straight, you think LA is ugly, smoggy, and illegal ridden....yet New York is great, LOL, have you actually even been to either one. Please, if you DO live in LA, do an MLS search for Utah or Wyoming, because the only drawback that I see in LA is the fact that individuals like you are staying and complaining....such a drag.

And also, to EscapeCalifornia, if your blood pressure truly rises before you get on the ground in LA, you REALLY should leave....Thats just not healthy....

Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
[i][b]I know when I go there I get a feeling like no other. Walking around Manhattan Beach is just Paradise. Driving along the Strip at night? With the billboards? OMG that is so cool. I think that if you don't like the look of the Hollywood hills and all the signs and the flat streets and the palm trees you really really really have total brain damage. You do.

And you KNOW I haven't even scratched the surface of all the cool things that visually just blow me away out there. Even just seeing a palm tree just literally perplexes me. LA is like another planet. Another dimension. I can't even believe it's real.

And the traffic and congestion? Oh I am sure that it sucks real real hard. But to me, that's like saying I hate my kids because they don't always make their bed. Or they get a bad grade. Or they say a swear word. It doesn't even come close to making any difference whatsoever. Not in a milion years.
Spend 10 years fighting the traffic and congestion and high cost of living and tell me it doesn't matter. You've made a few trips to LA and think its a paradise. This is why there's so many people here. They make a trip in January when its cold and icy back home, move here without knowing what the day to day reality is like, then turn into one of those miserable people TheRealAngelion wrote about. You moving to LA for the palm trees and billboards and saying that none of the bad stuff matters would be like me moving to Colorado Springs and saying the icy roads, no ocean (if I were a beach person), no freeways, lack of ethnic restaurants, etc are completely irrelevant as long as I can see Pike's Peak.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
And also, to EscapeCalifornia, if your blood pressure truly rises before you get on the ground in LA, you REALLY should leave....Thats just not healthy....
I AM making plans to leave but until you want to start a collection, I'm going to have to work to put myself in a financial position to do it. I'm not going to be one of these people that runs off to another city with $500 in my pocket and hope things work themselves out.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,250 times
I fail to see how SD has anymore of a "typical SoCal lifestyle" than LA?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Spend 10 years fighting the traffic and congestion and high cost of living and tell me it doesn't matter. You've made a few trips to LA and think its a paradise. This is why there's so many people here. They make a trip in January when its cold and icy back home, move here without knowing what the day to day reality is like, then turn into one of those miserable people TheRealAngelion wrote about. You moving to LA for the palm trees and billboards and saying that none of the bad stuff matters would be like me moving to Colorado Springs and saying the icy roads, no ocean (if I were a beach person), no freeways, lack of ethnic restaurants, etc are completely irrelevant as long as I can see Pike's Peak.
The only problem with that statement is that Pike's Peak is a big frozen rock. Home prices aren't astronomical because they have a view of it. At best, it's a small thing you will hear realtors try to use to pump up the value of a house. Do you guys out in LA go gaga over the mountain views? You think people flock to Pike's Peak like they do the beach? You go up Pike's Peak and there's a gift shop and snack bar and you get altitude sickness and you realize that maybe .00001% of the population could ever survive at 14,110 feet.

See, the only pro here, a big frozen rock, is not a pro at all.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
I fail to see how SD has anymore of a "typical SoCal lifestyle" than LA?
Maybe more of what people think the lifestyle should be. ie. less crowded, less expensive, less violent, less crazy in general than LA.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:03 AM

147 posts, read 383,369 times
After being born and raised here, unfortunately I now find L.A. to be mostly gray and gloomy, with people consumed trying to be something they are not.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
The only problem with that statement is that Pike's Peak is a big frozen rock. Home prices aren't astronomical because they have a view of it. At best, it's a small thing you will hear realtors try to use to pump up the value of a house. Do you guys out in LA go gaga over the mountain views? You think people flock to Pike's Peak like they do the beach? You go up Pike's Peak and there's a gift shop and snack bar and you get altitude sickness and you realize that maybe .00001% of the population could ever survive at 14,110 feet.

See, the only pro here, a big frozen rock, is not a pro at all.
I love seeing the mountains out here, on the dozen or so days a year the smog parts enough to see them, even though they're nothing compared to the Rockies. My point is that you're trying to justify suffering a million bad things in LA with some pretty unimportant things like looking at palm trees and the Hollywood sign. Palm trees don't pay the bills unless you're a landscaper. I've never once though, "Wow this 20 mile drive taking 2 hours isn't so bad as long as I can see the palm trees."

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 03-22-2009 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-22-2009, 11:14 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I love seeing the mountains out here, on the dozen or so days I year the smog parts enough to see them, even though they're nothing compared to the Rockies. My point is that you're trying to justify suffering a million bad things in LA some pretty unimportant things like looking at palm trees and the Hollywood sign. Palm trees don't pay the bills unless you're a landscaper. I've never once though, "Wow this 20 mile drive taking 2 hours isn't so bad as long as I can see the palm trees."
So according to you, there are no pros. The weather, diversity, food, culture, entertainment, beaches, and palm trees just aren't good enough? I'm just sayin....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles