Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:01 PM

479 posts, read 1,433,658 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to the LA area soon, and I wondered how much of a threat quakes really are. I know from other CA residents I've talked to that small quakes occur all the time and that it becomes a fact of life, but I also read that SoCal is long overdue for "The Big One," which could rival Katrina in terms of property damage and loss of life. Is the risk of a big earthquake a significant factor to consider or not a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 02:15 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I personally wouldn't live in one of those apartments where the house part hovers on stilts above the parking area below, but take some comfort in knowing that at least California is well aware of the risks of earthquakes and has been making great efforts to build things to code as well as to make sure that people are prepared. Most areas of the country have natural disaster risks (whether quakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.), and my old geology professor told us that parts of the east coast are actually potentially in greater danger - while big quakes don't come there as often, when one does happen the damage will probably be far worse because they're not as prepared.

I'm not a native Californian and as such am probably more scared about earthquakes than those who have grown up with them (the biggest one I've felt was last year's 5.4 mid-sized quake, which was enough to rattle people a bit and remind everyone that LA is earthquake country, but not enough to do much damage - and yes, it was scary enough, in part because you don't know at the beginning how bad it's going to get), but I've learned to live with the danger and realize that hey, at least we don't have hurricanes! On the other hand, I would definitely buy earthquake insurance. Which also reminds me that I need to restock my water supply and update my earthquake kit.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
We have many earthquakes every single day, you usually never feel them.
You stand a worse chance of getting hurt in a tornado than in a earthquake, most I lost in the last 50 years was a aquarium of salt water fish back in 1986.
Buildings are built to withstand the damage, big business in retro-fitting old buildings to new standards.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:24 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
So long as you're not trapped under a freeway overpass when one strikes, all is well.

The smaller ones, IMHO are kinda fun (I'm not a California native)

Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
Is the risk of a big earthquake a significant factor to consider or not a big deal?
A large earthquake on the San Andreas will cause massive damage and the fault has a lot of built up pressure and is due to slip any day now. Its up to you do determine whether this is a big deal.

A 7.0+ quake on the San Andreas will cause a lot of damage, the idea that all the buildings in the LA area are built withstand this sort of quake is a load of nonsense. The LA basin will jiggle like Jello and most of the large older buildings will collapse or become condemned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
You stand a worse chance of getting hurt in a tornado than in a earthquake, most I lost in the last 50 years was a aquarium of salt water fish back in 1986.
Which is to say you've never experienced a major quake. There were no large earthquakes in 1986.

Comparing Tornadoes to earthquakes is to compare apples to orange. Large earthquakes only occur once in a generation or so, if that. But when they hit the damage is massive.

Tornadoes on the only hand occur all the time and rarely cause problems. One is also able to predict when Tornadoes occur, there are very typical whether patterns that produce them.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Far be it from me to know a forumer personally, but if ferretkona's been living in LA since at least 1986, he/she's probably got to experience the 1987 Whittier-Narrows and 1994 Northridge quakes first-hand?

Its not like most Californians live in constant fear of earthquakes (coincidentally, that's an easy way to spot an out-of-towner) or deny that eventually the big one will strike. From my experiences, there's no reason in worrying about if/when one will strike.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:07 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Its not like most Californians live in constant fear of earthquakes (coincidentally, that's an easy way to spot an out-of-towner) or deny that eventually the big one will strike. From my experiences, there's no reason in worrying about if/when one will strike.
Agreed, with one exception. There is no IF about it. We will have another major one. But one doesn't spend their days worrying if they're as prepared as they can be.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
The omen (I guess they call it "Bible Code") says the big one is due to happen in 2010, so let's wait and see. Scientists have tried to predict them but have not been very successful at it. Growing up (born and raised in LA), there were monthly earthquake drills....ahhh memories of getting under the small school desks and covering the back of our necks. The Northridge earthquake was definitely the most memorable

I still remember the aftershocks constantly rolling through the city. Everyone was freezing cold because it was practically dawn. The Valley still has not fully recovered from the Northridge earthquake. The CA Redevelopment Agency has idenitified key areas that were impacted and is working with local communities (still) to revitalize areas ie North Hollywood (Valley Plaza), etc.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:32 PM

Yup since 1958.
I remember the 1971 San Fernando quake tossing me out of bed.
The 86 one, I was in Whittier on the center when it hit, I thought a crane had fell thru the building.
If you are in a car when these hit you usually can't feel them, unless the freeway takes damage.
My x-wife was deathly afraid of quakes, she now lives in a tornado alley in GA.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
,,,, there were monthly earthquake drills....ahhh memories of getting under the small school desks and covering the back of our necks. The Northridge earthquake was definitely the most memorable,,,,
I thought I remembered those being bomb drills, like being under the desk would protect us from a bomb. Remember the friday morning siren drills?

Sadly, I was living in Yosemite the winter of the Northridge quake. It's only sad because I had to move back down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles