Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
That's funny because your map shows that La Verne, San Dimas, and Glendora (middle class), had a majority that voted for McCain. San Marino and Bradbury are quite wealthy and they also had a McCain majority.
I was about to say the same, La Verne and Bradbury as well as Glendora certainly are not lover income, and less educated than say the average. They are quite the opposite. Of course we all know San Marino is old money from word go and Bradbury is dripping in money..

Again, Happ is pointing to 2008. Many voted Obama because of a dislike for McCain, not because they were or are democrats or even leaning left.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 43,378 times
I agree w/Nita that the people in those areas are not less educated nor have less money. The diversity has increased a bit in the Glendora area, but it's still fairly "white". I think it's a quiet place, nice to raise a family, as San Dimas and La Verne are, too. All are very family-centered places (having spent a big chunk of my life in those places). By the way, the peacocks and parrots have made their way into the Glendora area, too.
Arcadia's more pricey than the others and has had some issues with "mansionization"- where incoming buyers razed the home and built a huge mansion on a small lot. It's busier/denser than when I lived there in the 70s. A nice place, but I prefer the others mentioned.
I've lived in all four cities and I think people in L.A. (where I now live) don't even know they exist. In the past in my work, when a client's asked where I live, they usually had no idea where those places even are, much less had been to them. The closest they seemed to relate to was to say how many miles east it was from Pasadena (somewhere they'd heard about). I get the feeling most L.A. folks don't venture out east. I know it's said the opposite, that suburb-dwellers don't venture to the west. Goes both ways. Most L.A. people I know are extremely "L.A.-centric" and put great importance in how they abhor the suburbs. Anything suburban is beneath them. Bugs the snot outta me.

Anyway, with the 210 fwy, if you live in those cities it's not too bad getting into L.A. or back home (unless it's rush hour). I do it every day, living in L.A. and business and school out east from those cities, as far out as Rancho Cucamonga.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 AM

100 posts, read 543,958 times
The whole 210 corridor east of Pasadena is nice for the most part, especially the ones listed in the title of the topic as well as Claremont. While they're great places to raise a family due to the school quality and safety, they are boring for the most part although Arcadia does have the race track and the Arboretum. If entertainment's important Pasadena is reasonably close and downtown Monrovia (the southern part along the 210 can be a bit rough though and the high school there has gang issues) has a lot of restaurants as well as the usual blue collar businesses that you'd expect in the cities east of it. Azusa and Duarte are a bit iffy though. Azusa is more working class, therefore the neighborhoods aren't as kept up and the schools aren't that good, and outside of the north side (the more middle class part) and parts of the east side it's very gritty. Duarte, while it's pretty for the most part, has gang issues, mainly south of the freeway. The areas south of Huntington bordering Irwindale aren't that nice either.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvkev View Post
The whole 210 corridor east of Pasadena is nice for the most part, especially the ones listed in the title of the topic as well as Claremont. While they're great places to raise a family due to the school quality and safety, they are boring for the most part although Arcadia does have the race track and the Arboretum. If entertainment's important Pasadena is reasonably close and downtown Monrovia (the southern part along the 210 can be a bit rough though and the high school there has gang issues) has a lot of restaurants as well as the usual blue collar businesses that you'd expect in the cities east of it. Azusa and Duarte are a bit iffy though. Azusa is more working class, therefore the neighborhoods aren't as kept up and the schools aren't that good, and outside of the north side (the more middle class part) and parts of the east side it's very gritty. Duarte, while it's pretty for the most part, has gang issues, mainly south of the freeway. The areas south of Huntington bordering Irwindale aren't that nice either.
Much of what you are saying is true, infact I would say it all is, but the secret and you said it: raising a family: if you are single or a young couple with no kids or not planning on having any, heck I would possibly shoot for some of the areas around Pasadena, more action, if I had money and kids I would do Arcadia or So Pasadena, of course if I had lots of money put San Marino in there. If I was middle class, whated a good school district, good kids programs and safe enviorment I would choose Glendora, La Verne, parts of SAn Dimas or further out, Claremont.

Nita

Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 PM

16 posts, read 91,270 times
I currently live in Glendora and cannot wait to get out. The high school has a real drug problem and the city as a whole seems to have been declining quite a bit in the past ten years. I've always liked La Verne and San Dimas a lot better. Plus the housing in San Dimas and La Verne is a bit more affordable - if you could consider Southern California affordable.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiannarene View Post
I currently live in Glendora and cannot wait to get out. The high school has a real drug problem and the city as a whole seems to have been declining quite a bit in the past ten years. I've always liked La Verne and San Dimas a lot better. Plus the housing in San Dimas and La Verne is a bit more affordable - if you could consider Southern California affordable.
I assume you are talking about Glendora high school? If you think it has a drug problem I would suggest you check surrounding high schools? Yes, housing is a bit lower in San Dimas and La Verne, why do you think that is the case? By the way do you go to Glendora high or have kids that go there?

Nita

Old 03-21-2011, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,634 times
We are currently looking to buy our second home in either Glendora, San Dimas, or La Verne. We aren't too familiar with these areas, but sure glad to hear these cities are pretty safe with good schools. I've heard rumors that there are white supremacists (Aryan Nation gangs) in these areas, have you heard about this? Being Hispanic with two pre-teen kids, this is a concern.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiannarene View Post
I currently live in Glendora and cannot wait to get out. The high school has a real drug problem and the city as a whole seems to have been declining quite a bit in the past ten years.
What???? Really? I live in Glendora and I really disagree with you.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg9837 View Post
I've heard rumors that there are white supremacists (Aryan Nation gangs) in these areas, have you heard about this?
Did you only recently hear this? If so, it was probably based on the skinhead demonstration in Claremont this past weekend. My DH and I were shocked to see that, BTW. We have NEVER seen anything like that in this area. FTR, there weren't all that many of them. They all fit in a bank parking lot...many of them in pick 'em up trucks.

The LA Times kind of inflated it. My DH and I were giggling at how every cop in every surrounding town seemed to have been called in for...that.

I live here and have never seen nor even guessed anyone to be a skinhead until that "demonstration" (which fell flat as p*ss on a plate anyway, thank God, and which was immediately counter-demonstrated). These towns have large Hispanic populations so worrying about not fitting in because your family is Hispanic doesn't really make sense.

As far as literal Aryan "gangs," OMG, again, no, unless they're verrrrrrrrrrry quiet gangs that never go out. Unless I'm being seriously naive! Conservatives? Yes. Skinheads in bunches? Probably not a problem.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM

72,410 posts, read 18,197,553 times
Glendora is a great city,I visit there often. If you nit pick any city,you will find fault anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles