Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times

Advertisements

If you want to live in mexico then speak all the mexican you want. If you are going to live in America then learn English. Have some respect for our country

Last edited by junkman18; 03-08-2008 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clp63 View Post
Yes...especially in LA county. try calling up & ordering a pizza. It is such a challenge! Ugh.
Any time I get someone on the phone that has poor English and I can't understand them, I be sure to tell them or someone that I can talk to why I will not do business with them.
I will NOT do anything to help these illegals or their anchors.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
Junkman, first of all the correct language is "Spanish". It may be Spanish with a Mexican accent, or with Mexican slang, but it is still Spanish! There is no such language as "Mexican".

In addition, why do you assume that anyone who can't speak English is illegal? It's entirely possible that people do come here on a work visa who don't know English! Perfectly legal, and perfectly acceptable.

Thank God other countries don't have a rule that English speaking people must immediately learn their language!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:57 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
If you want to live in mexico then speak all the mexican you want. If you are going to live in America then learn English. Have some respect for our country
Respect for America -- or more accurately, the U.S.A. -- means learning English? I always thought respect for the U.S. meant ascribing to the values of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

P.S. What language is "mexican"? Are you referring to Mixtecan or Oaxacan?

Old 03-08-2008, 12:02 PM

"In the first place, we should in sist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Old 03-08-2008, 12:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
2 separate issues. language and race. language is fixable. you can learn. however, speaking the language well
does not eradicate racism. our society perceives racism as something that white guys do to other people. all else is ignored.
not good. we are not all playing by the same rules.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
"In the first place, we should in sist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us ... Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
What are you talking about?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
What are you talking about?
I have to say it is very clear. What part do you have a problem understanding?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I have to say it is very clear. What part do you have a problem understanding?
The part about English only, one flag, one people, no hyphenation, etc., etc. that this somehow equals American values.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:18 PM

105 posts, read 482,319 times
Just adding my two cents:

Coming from Baltimore, MD, where only a few select neighborhoods had spanish speaking immigrants, everybody spoke english. There was no need to learn spanish. Although I did take it in HS and don't remember much. Now living here in CA, I hear/see it all the time. I can maybe understand a word or two but the rest is lost to me.

I think it's wonderful how diverse CA is. But I also think that if we Americans or citizens are learning or trying to learn their language, I think they should try to do the same. With that said, I want to learn Spanish again. I want to be able to speak it, write it, and understand it. Where can I go for classes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles