Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 9,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.LA View Post
You might want to look in some of the eastern parts of Hollywood (near the 101), which tends to be cheaper (and a bit sketchier). With your budget, there will be trade offs, and if neither you nor your friend have a job when you arrive, you may have a hard time finding a landlord willing to rent to you. Landlords in LA tend to actually verify income sources, since folks "coming to pursue their dream in Hollywood" like yourself are quite common.

Sadly these folks' dreams usually don't come true, leaving them unable to pay rent. In fact, I'd avoid telling any prospective landlords that you are moving from Ohio without any contacts in the entertainment industry hoping to land a job at a talent agency. This is a cliche in LA, and it screams, "Don't rent to me! I'm unreliable and flaky!"

If you do still come, save lots of money, have a car, and get a job (any job) quickly so you can support yourself while trying to get a job in the entertainment industry.

A general aside: most jobs in the entertainment industry are generally not as glamorous as people think. Usually you just end up getting paid less than you would to do comparable work in a less "sexy" industry.
Thanks for all the good stuff man. I have already begun applying for agency spots or ATP's. I would not move unless I have a solid job, thats suicide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
People don't move to LA to get mundane office jobs in talent agencies that could be done anywhere in any office unless they've got stars in their eyes.

$1500/mo still isn't crap for rent.
Large scale talent agencies arent located in boon **** ohio, iowa, etc etc etc. I'd have to go to NY, LA, Miami, or Houston.... and personally LA is my choice out of the four. I dont want to be famous, but you cant knock a guy for wanting to make a living off of the famous....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
So does every other young "hollywood" hopeful.
You misinterpreted my "nice car".... i meant in good condition. Its a Ford!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:45 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
What is your degree in? Is it something that the agencies are going to want? Do they normally recruit at OSU? Personally I say go for the dream. You have time to make mistakes now. If you don't do this you will be saying I could have been living my dream. If you do it an it doesn't work out, at least you tried. Like others have said we have a lot of people that head out here looking to make it in one way or another. You also said your friend would work at getting an acting gig. Before you can get a SAG card your friend will need to do a lot of work, non talking parts, small one line parts, and a lot of other things before they can even join the union. Not that their are tons of parts out there anymore. Most of the filming now is done in other parts of the world. We went from making 70 or 80 features down to 2 or 3 last year.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
If you're not moving until you secure a job (which is smart) then you'll be better situated to make a neighborhood choice at that time - you'll know how much you can afford (or what a landlord agrees you can afford) as well as where you'll be working. If possible live close to your job, as traffic here is horrible. Depending on where you end up working public transportation may be an option.

I agree that east Hollywood may be a good option, although you might be able to find something in Hollywood itself. Hollywood is a great place to live - always something going on, urban, walkable, good public transportation, tons of restaurants and bars (not all of them expensive) and fairly conveniently located (although that will come down to where exactly your job is, of course).

Not every apartment comes with parking, and sometimes you'll have to pay for a space. There's the street, but parking in Hollywood can be difficult.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What is your degree in? Is it something that the agencies are going to want? Do they normally recruit at OSU? Personally I say go for the dream. You have time to make mistakes now. If you don't do this you will be saying I could have been living my dream. If you do it an it doesn't work out, at least you tried. Like others have said we have a lot of people that head out here looking to make it in one way or another. You also said your friend would work at getting an acting gig. Before you can get a SAG card your friend will need to do a lot of work, non talking parts, small one line parts, and a lot of other things before they can even join the union. Not that their are tons of parts out there anymore. Most of the filming now is done in other parts of the world. We went from making 70 or 80 features down to 2 or 3 last year.
Thanks for the reply! I already have an Associates in Business Management, and am 3 quarters from my Bachelors in Marketing with a minor in Entrepreneurship. If i get a job out there, i will most likely continue on to an MBA? I mean I have big dreams, but my friend has a tougher road. I would not want to be him. THX

Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If you're not moving until you secure a job (which is smart) then you'll be better situated to make a neighborhood choice at that time - you'll know how much you can afford (or what a landlord agrees you can afford) as well as where you'll be working. If possible live close to your job, as traffic here is horrible. Depending on where you end up working public transportation may be an option.

I agree that east Hollywood may be a good option, although you might be able to find something in Hollywood itself. Hollywood is a great place to live - always something going on, urban, walkable, good public transportation, tons of restaurants and bars (not all of them expensive) and fairly conveniently located (although that will come down to where exactly your job is, of course).

Not every apartment comes with parking, and sometimes you'll have to pay for a space. There's the street, but parking in Hollywood can be difficult.
I've been trolling around to get a feel for price on Apartment Guide.com and ive been finding alot of great looking places (either studio or 1 bed) for under $1300. Everything from LA, to the Hills, to hollywood, to burbank. I'm checking ammenities, to parking passes, to distance. It's hard to tell, but most of them look really nice. You can tell the ones that arent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles