Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raul View Post
Been through So. Pas. many times, can't understand why everyone makes such a big deal over it. I do like their 24/7 post office.
It's a very un-LA part of LA, right in the middle of it all. When I'm in South Pasadena I feel like I'm in some old historic town in the southeastern US (architecture-wise), with a little bit of Chinese stuff thrown in. The whole place feels like an "antique-ville," including literally a soda pop fountain. It reminds me a lot of places like Orange, Claremont, and a number of other small towns in the San Gabriel Valley (Sierra Madre, etc). Who is it who makes a big deal about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 01:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
The parrots are green and have red spots on their heads; there might be a couple of different kinds, although I'm not sure. They seem to be thriving, and they travel around in flocks during the daytime. It was always a lot of fun when a group descended on the trees in our yard.

ZenMaster nailed it as to why people like South Pas so much. Safe, small-town feel, farmer's market, beautiful historic houses, wild parrots, nice trees, pretty parks - and all just a short ride on the train from either Pasadena (really close) or downtown LA (a little longer, but still easy and pretty quick). I think driving through doesn't give it the full justice; it's the kind of place you really grow to appreciate after walking around and stopping in at the stores and coffee/ice cream shops. I don't think the Post Office is 24/7, though, or at least it wasn't when we were living there. The public library is another great town amenity.

If I still lived there you could come photograph my house at night! I'd love to see some of your daytime work, too, if you do more South Pasadena photos! I do really like the night shots, though. Maybe it's because I always think of South Pasadena as sunny and bright, so the night lights bring a different and very interesting perspective.

Anyone know the latest on the Mamma's/Nonna's pizza war?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 PM

147 posts, read 383,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
It's very safe and has a nice small-town feel to it but it's very close to the city. Not many other places in LA county where you can find that.
Huh? It neighbors El Sereno and Highland Park two of the most gang ridden communities in Southern California, and their restaurants are not exactly to die for.

http://www.manitousprings.org/

Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Hey uptown_urbanist, what's your opinion of the best places to eat there? Is Hi-Life burgers really as good as the reviews on yelp rave about?

I think you're absolutely correct that you have to really walk around to appreciate it. In fact the city is so small you could drive from one end clear out the other without even realizing what happened.

What sparked my interest in the place is when I was visiting my cousin a few months ago who was staying with his relatives who live in South Pasadena-- in the part on those hills by Ave 60/ Monterey Rd. I had never been there before, and it was at night. Kind of scary some of those roads going up that hill (which was basically a dirt road with only enough room for one car to go through), where I had to make a sharp 150 degree turn uphill, had to back up, 3 point turn just to squeeze in. Practically on the edge of a cliff. All the city light views down below. The whole place felt really spooky. Then I came back to see it during the daytime and explored the main "flat" part of the city.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Radical Raul, have you been to South Pasadena lately? South Pasedena is not exactly riddled with gang problems. It's very safe. That's part of what makes it so appealing - you have the convenience of the other neighborhoods, but not the crime.

Vegaspilgrim - I'm not the best person to ask about Hi-Life, as I'm a vegetarian and don't indulge in the burgers. My mom likes them, though. We have a kid and had to give up a lot of the eating out thing, unfortunately, (and moved to South Pas right before our baby was born, so our pre-baby "adult" dining took place elsewhere) but we used to go to Senor Fish (across from Trader Joe's) for burritos a lot, along with Nonna's (pizza) and the Munch Company (sandwiches). Those aren't exactly fine dining establishments, but they all do both take-out as well as have space for eating in. The potato tacos at Senor Fish are really good, and of course those that eat fish have a ton of fish taco options to choose from.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,588 times
I lived and attended South Pasadena Junior High School in South Pasadena from 1991-1994 and loved it! Hi-Life Burger is the best in SoCal in my opinion...kind of expensive but worth every penny . My family eventually ended up moving to Ladera Heights to be around more upwardly mobile Black-Americans (Which was important for us socially) but It was a nice town and I met some wonderful while I lived there. I often wonder how different I might of been If I lived there until I graduated High School. Never the less living there helped me become the well-rounded man that I am today.

It was totally safe and I remember walking down Fair Oaks for school every morning and my brother went to Marengo Elementary during the same time period. The homes are lovely and they have a nice older apartment stock there. Bristol Farms and Pavillions and I believe a Vons or Ralphs were all on Fair Oaks when I lived there. I used to love going to Thrifty (Maybe a Walgreens now?) and getting a .35 ice cream cone or .70 for a double after school...yummm . We used to go to Colorado Blvd. alot and it has definitely changed...it wasn't as nearly upscale as it is today but it was still alot of fun. The Pasadena Mall sucked and at the time was an indoor mall which in a beautiful old-town Pasadena doesn't make any sense. I used to love Trick-or-Treating in South Pasadena...so much good candy and it was very safe. Kids could go out by themselves. We used to have a big rivalry with San Marino which continues up until High School. That's a very nice place as well but South Pasadena is more down to earth and better variety of homes and diversity in my opinion.

My family moved there from the bay area because my Mother worked Southern Pacific Railroad and wanted a safe place for two young boys at the time close to Monterey Park and her future co-workers all picked South Pasadena! It wasn't as expensive as it is now but I'm glad she made that decision and anyone who moves there won't regret it.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 04-08-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
It's very safe and has a nice small-town feel to it but it's very close to the city. Not many other places in LA county where you can find that.
When I lived in Los Angeles I would stop off on the main street of South Pasadena and eat at DeLong's for breakfast on my way to the Huntington Art Gallery. Delong's was a small coffee shop with the best coffee on earth because they used the top grade Farmer's Coffee with added egg shells, and made it in an enormous old coffee machine. I recall there was a Chevy dealer across the street where I bought a Corvair Monza. For lunch I would go over to Brotherton's Farmhouse restaurant on Colorado Blvd. I have a photo of it somewhere.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
It's a very un-LA part of LA, right in the middle of it all. When I'm in South Pasadena I feel like I'm in some old historic town in the southeastern US (architecture-wise), with a little bit of Chinese stuff thrown in. The whole place feels like an "antique-ville," including literally a soda pop fountain. It reminds me a lot of places like Orange, Claremont, and a number of other small towns in the San Gabriel Valley (Sierra Madre, etc). Who is it who makes a big deal about it?
I think because it is one of the true all American family cities even after all these years. So many parts of L.A. have gone up and down and back up.. you are right, it is like Sierra Madre to some extent, except Sierra Madre is probably more liberal, or used to be. So Pasadena is just a small town surrounded by a huge city..In many ways it is still 1950 at it's best.

Nita

Old 04-11-2009, 10:41 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
I live next to Highland Park, and know El Sereno well (especially the Berkshire tract by Charlies Trio which is next to Alhambra and So Pas). Never had anything remotely close to a 'gang incident' in either area. And HP restaurants are great, particularly Antigua Bread, Chico's, Charlie's Trio, Folliero's (even had a mention in the LA Times).

As previously mentioned, the train that connects So Pas with its neighbors has made the area even better and a lot more accessible.

Try 83rd and Broadway if you want gang-ridden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raul View Post
Huh? It neighbors El Sereno and Highland Park two of the most gang ridden communities in Southern California, and their restaurants are not exactly to die for.

Manitou Springs, Colorado at the foot of Pikes Peak,the Cog Railway, near Colorado Springs and Garden of the Gods

Old 04-11-2009, 10:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Fantastic photos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles