Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 12,472 times

Advertisements

I will be in Santa Monica for work next week and would like to try some really good local non touristy restaurants. Sadly the east coasts vision of LA's food fare is limited to Del Taco, In N Out and Roscoes.

I will have a car, and actually be in WeHo on Sunday (Runyon Canyon park), I am not afraid to drive if I know the food will be good.

I am open to any cuisine, but definitely want some Indian food while I am in town. (Indian food where I am is lacking)

Thanks for any recs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,589 times
Versailles - Best Cuban food in LA, hands down

Versailles Cuban Restaurant | versailles

Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 PM

9 posts, read 12,472 times
Hmmm I have missed Cuban food since I left Miami!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
For Indian food, visit Cerritos and Artesia. Don't have any specific recommendations, but those areas have significant Indian businesses.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
I haven't had Indian in Santa Monica or the west side, but Cha Cha Chicken is a pretty awesome spot in Santa Monica for Carribean fusion. Not that you could go wrong with In-N-Out or Roscoe's if you havent been.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
10 Great Armenian Restaurants In L.A. - Digest - Los Angeles magazine

Los Angeles Restaurants, Los Angeles Ethiopian Restaurant, Ethiopian Catering

Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
all the good Indian is over in Artesia, near Cerritos. There are some places in Culver City (near SM) but i've been underwhelmed. Plus they really are hole in the wall joints that are a bit dingy; better for take-out than dine-in. If you can afford it be sure to try the new-wave Japanese small plates boites like N-Naka or Shunji in West LA. Both are over $150/person out the door. Very pricey, but worth it considering a 1-day park hopper pass at Disneyland is freakin $125! I know where i'd rather spend my hard-earned dollars. For something more affordable, try Tar & Roses in SM. It's gastropub done right imo.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 PM

193 posts, read 309,659 times
Do stop in at Tommy's for a chiliburger. It's a landmark.

All the really good L.A. county places of my youth are long gone, most were small sole proprieter establishments.

Sadly all of my favorite Italian eateries are gone. They were all on O.C. anyway.

Anyone remember...

Archies Bar-b-que on Anahiem street in Long Beach?
Bali Button On Lakewood and Artesia in Lakewood?
Stox in Downey on imperial Hwy?
Esters Mexican Food in Norwalk?
Uncle Buds Kitchen on Clark in Bellflower?
Pancho's #5 in Bellflower/Paramount
Patino's Pride in Paramount
The Grinder in Long Beach and Huntington Beach?
Hamburger Hamlet...? There is still 1 or 2 left in L.A.

Not quite 4 star places but the food was never a disappointment.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
There are many places to eat in L.A , and you can eat relatively reasonably as well.

I'd check out Chowhound if you havent been on the site there is an L.A board
Los Angeles Area - Chowhound

Here is a thread started by someone visiting L.A from NYC..lot's of responses on that one

Visit to LA from NYC - Los Angeles Area - Chowhound

Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
El Texate, near Pico and 4th in Santa Monica, is a good Mexican/Oaxacan restaurant.

There's another really awesome Oaxacan place in LA called Guelaguetza, on Olympic, more towards Koreatown.

I like La Cabana in Venice, at the corner of Lincoln and Rose, for straightforward, hearty, old-school Texmex fare. Try the El Rojo burrito - monstrous affair with all the normal burrito ingredients plus chile rellenos, lathered in red sauce and baked with cheese on top. Gaaaaaaah.

Mi Jo Ri is a Japanese-Korean/Zainichi restaurant on 3rd St in Koreatown. I've always been a fan of theirs. Across the street here's a great, popular Korean BBQ called Don Day that I've been to a few times - I'm a vegetarian so I can't comment personally on the quality of the BBQ, but they always make me a special noodle plate. Mmm.

For Indian in Santa Monica, I like Nawab. I haven't been back in a year or so, but they're pretty good. Akbar is a good one, too. Down in Marina Del Rey, Shershah is a really good Sikh Indian place with very nice staff and service.

You should consider trying some Ethiopian while you're in town, too; Merkato on Fairfax, in Little Ethiopia, is my perennial go-to. Awash on Pico is just outside of Little Ethiopia but I've been going there recently. Good stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles