Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
You can get them all over the place in Dallas. Not so unique.
but are the fish tacos in dallas as good and authentic as the ones in southern california? and are they ensenada-style (i.e. just like in baja california)? because i'm not just talking about fish tacos in general - i'm also referring to a specific regional variation.

i could be totally wrong on this (and apologies if i am), but it's been my understanding that the great majority of mexican americans with roots in baja california live in so cal. meaning that so cal would be the top place in the country to get the best and most authentic ensenada-style fish tacos. doesn't mean it's the only place, just the most representative.

i mean, there are even a few places that serve fish tacos in nyc, but they're all terrible and not even remotely authentic.

i've never been to dallas, so i don't really know much about the city's mexican food scene. but to me, it was telling that when my dallas friends visited LA, they couldn't stop raving about how much better the mexican food was compared with their hometown. and they were especially enthusiastic about the fish tacos, saying that "we can't get this back home."

perhaps they were referring to quality/authenticity rather than the quantity of dallas' fish taco shacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 PM

276 posts, read 1,019,048 times
I have been to Albuquerque, and loved everything I ate while there. The food was delicious!

While in LA try Cielito Lindo at Olvera Street especially if you like taquitos. I have been eating their taquitos since I was a child. The sauce they serve with them is absolutely delicious! You will want to take some home with you.

There are many good Mexican restaurants in LA. The best are the small family owned restaurants. You can also try the old El Cholo (the original on Western), or try El Chavo's on Sunset Drive (I think they are still good) There are good Mexican restaurants in Pasadena too!

I sure have to agree on the delicious food in Albuquerque! Happy I was not there long or I would have eaten myself into a stupor!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
My absolutely favorite Mexican food in Southern California comes from the little low rent, hole in the wall places which serve authentic Mexican food.

If I see these vehicles parked there, I know it is good:

Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
I ate New Mexican food in Albuquerque on Friday, and I was not impressed. The salsa served with the chips was the color of Chinese sweet and sour sauce, and almost as sweet. (Yuck!) The taco on my combination plate was a mound of dry, shredded beef in a hard taco shell-- not a fried corn tortilla, but one of those pre-formed half moons that crumble like a cracker when you take the first bite-- and no toppings of any kind. The cheese in my enchilada was not even melted, and I had to send back the whole plate. I'm pretty sure they stuck it in the microwave, which, of course, dried out the beef even more. I was so disgusted that I didn't even bother to dig under the mound of lettuce-garnish to taste the tamale, so I can't comment on it. I did like the flavor of the green chile sauce that they poured over everything, but it made for a very messy presentation.

I also ate in Albuquerque about ten years ago, and I recall being not all that chuffed about it then, either, although it was the style of Mexican food that we're accustomed to here.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I ate New Mexican food in Albuquerque on Friday, and I was not impressed. The salsa served with the chips was the color of Chinese sweet and sour sauce, and almost as sweet. (Yuck!) The taco on my combination plate was a mound of dry, shredded beef in a hard taco shell-- not a fried corn tortilla, but one of those pre-formed half moons that crumble like a cracker when you take the first bite-- and no toppings of any kind. The cheese in my enchilada was not even melted, and I had to send back the whole plate. I'm pretty sure they stuck it in the microwave, which, of course, dried out the beef even more. I was so disgusted that I didn't even bother to dig under the mound of lettuce-garnish to taste the tamale, so I can't comment on it. I did like the flavor of the green chile sauce that they poured over everything, but it made for a very messy presentation.

I also ate in Albuquerque about ten years ago, and I recall being not all that chuffed about it then, either, although it was the style of Mexican food that we're accustomed to here.
if the sause was sweet, you certainly didn't find the right place to eat, believe me hot sause in NM is anything but sweet, quite the contrary it is usually too hot for many to eat unless you have been raised on it. That is one of the best parts about the S.W cooking. Like Ca, AZ, or Texas not all the restaurants are equal. You got one that should have been rated an F it sounds like. Some may not like SoWestern style but what you are discribing was not typical...

Nita

Old 04-13-2009, 07:30 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post

Sounds pretty bad! You should have a trusted friend recommend a great place next time. I will say that the Mexican in Abq. is awesome, but I cannot vouch for every place.

Try Sadies, Los Cuates, El Pinto, or Cuco's if it's still there.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
Sounds pretty bad! You should have a trusted friend recommend a great place next time. I will say that the Mexican in Abq. is awesome, but I cannot vouch for every place.

Try Sadies, Los Cuates, El Pinto, or Cuco's if it's still there.
yep, Sadies has been around for decades..Always good, dependable food.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:51 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Actually it's possible katenik may have eaten at Los Cuates, based on her description. Their salsa tastes like barbeque sauce. I wasn't very impressed with that place.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:04 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,449 times
What a small world! I just bought some in a jar in Abq. and yeah...it's a bit different. Kinda like black tar salsa and sweet. However, the rest of the food should have bee pretty good.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 AM

141 posts, read 380,763 times
oh the food in alb way way better took a field trip to alb ate at 4 different mex restr and loved them all... the next year took a trip to L.A and loved 4 out of 5 places we went..so its hard to pick but would have to go with the alb style
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles