Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2007, 09:46 AM

60 posts, read 266,231 times

Advertisements

I'm staying in La Mirada this week and it's nice. Any other areas like it? Or does it go downhill when you go in any direction.

Cerritos
Buena Park
Whittier
Downey

Are any of these good places to raise a 1 year old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 10:24 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioDon View Post
I'm staying in La Mirada this week and it's nice. Any other areas like it? Or does it go downhill when you go in any direction.

Cerritos
Buena Park
Whittier
Downey

All four towns are very diverse. Crime rates are okay. I know Buena Park, Whittier, La Mirada, and Cerritos are all alright places. Lots of Hispanics.

Traffic on the 5 is HORRIBLE!!

Old 02-16-2007, 11:39 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Quote:

Cerritos
Buena Park
Whittier
Downey

Buena Park is a nice area, very diverse, you could probably afford it. Knott's Berry Farm is right down the street, Disneyland is twenty five minutes down the road. The 5 freeway traffic can be bad in certain parts, but I think they are doing improvements. Get a little warm in the summer.

Cerritos is absolutely excellent, beautiful community, with moderate summer temperatures. The city has incredible schools with a large Asian population, ecspecially SouthEast Asian.

Whittier has nice parts and so does Downey. There are some gangs in these areas, but the good is along with the bad. There's alot of good, decent folks in these cities. Can be hot in the summer.

Hope that help!

Old 02-17-2007, 04:24 PM

196 posts, read 1,236,952 times
Whittier and that area of south east Los Angeles is still one of the few blue-collar areas of the city, the majority of population in that area are Latinos

Races in Whittier:

Hispanic (55.9%)
White Non-Hispanic (37.6%)
Other race (25.8%)
Two or more races (5.0%)
American Indian (2.1%)
Black (1.2%)
Filipino (0.8%)
Japanese (0.7%)
Chinese (0.7%)

But very diverse, gang activity is low, and housing still affordable, but anyway if you could go south to OC, Buena Park is a best choice. Cerritos in the limit of the counties is a best choice, many affluent asian, but most expensive housing.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:55 PM

38,863 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:

Cerritos
Buena Park
Whittier
Downey

Yes, La Mirada is a nice area.

Of the cities you listed above, I prefer Cerritos, then Buena Park. I lived in Cerritos in junior high and high school, so I guess I'm a little biased. Lots of Asians, very clean and progressive; however, it's a pricey area in which to live.

Buena Park is mostly nice, but has older homes than Cerritos. I would also recommend adjacent cities to Buena Park such as La Palma and Cypress, both of which are nice, clean, safe areas.

Whittier and Downey both have nice areas and dicey areas, lots of Latinos living in those cities as well.

Finally, the city I live in, Lakewood, is next to Cerritos to the west. I've lived here for about 25 years and really like it. Very family-oriented, very safe (people take late night walks in my neighborhood), lots of new shopping and eating areas near the Lakewood Center Mall that just opened up within the past few months as well.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 24,205 times
Funny, All the suburbs listed are very similar yet with their own quirks. Of the one's listed though I would pick Whittier or Downey. Whittier has beutiful historic areas and if you are fortunate to live in the hills, wonderful views. Downey on the other hand is centrally located with easy access to major freeways and choice neighborhoods. None of the other cities listed can boast tear down homes starting at a cool $1,000,000.00 like they do in Northeast Downey. and a new home in Northeast starts at $1,750,000 and Clims to just under $3,000,000. Not bad for a latino enclave with good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles