Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 10:22 PM

14 posts, read 55,594 times

Advertisements

Hello,

A family member was looking into Neenach or the Holiday Valley Estates area in the Antelope Valley near Lancaster but since I mentioned all the posts warning about the crime/gang infested areas of Lancaster and Palmdale, she is having second thoughts.

Is it really that bad up there or is it more towards the south near to or in Palmdale? Did I scare here for no reason at all? She really wants to custom build a home for her rather large family away from the city.

JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
From what I've seen, the crime problems in Lancaster and Palmdale have not spilled over into the Neenach/Holiday Valley area. I don't think there is that much to be afraid of in that regard.

The area is sparsely populated, because it has very little to offer other than low cost land. The climate is hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. It's windy almost year round, from what I've seen. Folks out there need to be more or less, self sufficient, as there are very limited public services. For a large custom home away from the city, this may be a decent location.

I would also suggest looking at Leona Valley, Lake Elizabeth, Green Valley, and Tehachapi. These are communities that are somewhat more established, but still offer many of the same advantages as the Neenach area. If the person that is looking to build is dependent upon the city in some way (such as working there), then I would suggest picking an area closer to where they work.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:47 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,536 times
I lived there for a little while. Nice country if you want some elbow room. Had a good well at 50 gal/min. My house was broken into, probably because it was easy pickins with nobody around. The community mailbox kept getting broken into. Houses range from a 40 year old travel trailer to very nice customs. Nice views of mountains and night sky was great. It is out there so 40 minutes to Lancaster. Came across a few rattlers. The wind is unreal. It will blow the shade right up from under a tree.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:38 PM

14 posts, read 55,594 times
Default Lots of rattlesnakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I lived there for a little while. Nice country if you want some elbow room. Had a good well at 50 gal/min. My house was broken into, probably because it was easy pickins with nobody around. The community mailbox kept getting broken into. Houses range from a 40 year old travel trailer to very nice customs. Nice views of mountains and night sky was great. It is out there so 40 minutes to Lancaster. Came across a few rattlers. The wind is unreal. It will blow the shade right up from under a tree.

Rattlesnakes? I don't think she has thought of that. She has small kids, hence why she wanted lots of open space. Thanks for the first hand account. I'll be printing out this thread so she can read for herself.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 AM

27 posts, read 75,227 times
Go to Leona Valley instead! Great small town feel, much less wind. Plus, its BEAUTIFUL. Neenach is just flat brown desert. Im a substitute teacher and have worked both schools and can tell you Leona Valley is a dream of a school. Theres only 1 classroom for each grade.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM

25 posts, read 38,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrancis View Post
Go to Leona Valley instead!
Neenach/Holiday Valley Estates (HVE) has fantastic views. It is very close to two mountain ranges. It is 1 hour (roughly) from downtown LA. It is part of Santa Clarita not Lancaster/Palmdale. Soon it will have civilization close by. A special projects department of Regional Planning is busy with Centennial in downtown LA currently, now. A Visitor Service Center (VSC) should be available about 6-7 miles away by the time you finish building. Eventually a VSC will be planned in the distant future for 138 HWY/300th St. West (4 minutes drive away). All the lots have all of the utilities necessary for building.

To be honest and balanced, here are the problems:

- often windy
- currently civilization is 30 minutes drive away
- theft is rampant
- Edison power connection scheme is a bi...

The problems I see/saw with Lake Hughes/Elizabeth/Leona Valley:

- the windy road to/from Castaic made my stomach nauseated
- your backend is Lancaster/Palmdale
- no utilities at the lots that were reasonably priced
- most of the lots were not flat

The features that were most important to me were proximity and travel to Los Angeles and minimal hassles during the building permit process. Given the requirement of a place I can own no loan within 1 hour drive of downtown Los Angeles HVE was the best choice in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:00 AM

35 posts, read 100,195 times
Any mtn. lions or bears in the area? I heard the Pine Mt. Club/Fraizer Pk. gets a lot of bears in the area. Any snow too. And about that centennial thing, has it started yet?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbulldog View Post
Any mtn. lions or bears in the area? I heard the Pine Mt. Club/Fraizer Pk. gets a lot of bears in the area. Any snow too. And about that centennial thing, has it started yet?
I have not heard of any bears in the Neenach area, but it is possible, since it's a rural area not far from the mountains. I know there are bears in those mountains, and if they get hungry, they could go into the valley looking for food.

As far as mountain lions go, I'm sure the area is within the range where some of the big cats hunt. Mountain lions have a huge range, often estimated to be as high as 300 square miles in some cases. There is a good chance that mountain lions pass through the area, but they are stealthy, so they may not be observed very often.

The area does get occasional snow, but it is low enough that it doesn't get a lot of it. Most of the times it does snow there, it doesn't last long.

As for Centennial, nothing has been started yet, other than planning and preparation. With the downturn in the housing market, I would not expect to see any groundbreaking for several more years, if the project does go forward.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM

35 posts, read 100,195 times
Thanks jdavid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles