U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:47 AM

88 posts, read 693,634 times

Advertisements

why is van nuys and the surronding area so cheap? (canoga park, northridge, san fernando valley, north hollywood, ect...) also where are the majority of filipinos located?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 10:27 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,386,746 times
Saucemoney, I've seen a lot of Filipino restaurants near the Kaiser Permanente Hospital complex at Woodman and Roscoe. Would that be a good indicator of your community for you, or would that just be to accomodate the skilled nursing staff?

Historically, the Valley has been cheaper for homes with larger lots than "over the hill" due to its more recent (60 years ago) agricultural zonings. It also has worse weather than the rest of L.A. (hotter and smoggier in summer) with their more coastal influences. Along with the Valley's draw for poorer residents and entrenched gang culture, it remains a cheaper option than a lot of L.A. for low to moderate incomes, with aberrant wealthy strips along the foothills (both north and south,) Toluca Lake, the far western portion near Ventura county, and a strangely upscale enclave along Chandler Blvd. The areas around the Burbank studios remain upscale as well.

The Valley used to be a classic "bedroom community" for low to moderate incomed people, without the incipient danger of gangs and mean neighbors as a given. In my decade and a half here, the terrible '94 earthquake had an even more profound effect for devastating the Valley's economy than even the closing of the GM plant, insofar as it changed the demographic from professional people, both white and blue collar, to those subsiding on government assistance after the damaged homes were foreclosed.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:40 AM

1,719 posts, read 6,455,096 times
Dont ever move to Van Nuys. I live in the new "city", Lake Balboa, that isnt even officially a city like Valley Glen. But the areas are cheap? Ha. They are building Condo/TownHomes all around here and they are cramed on a small lot and you can reach out your window and touch hands with the person in the next building. These start at 750k+. Cheapest apt. are 900+ and those are bad areas. There are decent areas in all these cities, but theres cities as a whole Id stay away from...Van Nuys, Reseda, Pacoima, Panorama City, North Hollywood. Are you planning a move here? Where are you from?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgee View Post
Dont ever move to Van Nuys. I live in the new "city", Lake Balboa, that isnt even officially a city like Valley Glen. But the areas are cheap? Ha. They are building Condo/TownHomes all around here and they are cramed on a small lot and you can reach out your window and touch hands with the person in the next building. These start at 750k+. Cheapest apt. are 900+ and those are bad areas. There are decent areas in all these cities, but theres cities as a whole Id stay away from...Van Nuys, Reseda, Pacoima, Panorama City, North Hollywood. Are you planning a move here? Where are you from?
im from mpls and im a college student so im not looking to spend a fortune on an apt thats why i was looking in those areas...and im only going to california for college i plan on living on the east coast when i graduate......i mean what part of san fernando valley is good?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Where will you be attenting college?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Where will you be attenting college?
i was thinking LA city college, pierce college, santa monica college...one of those in the area..

Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucemoney View Post
i was thinking LA city college, pierce college, santa monica college...one of those in the area..
I go to LA Mission and I like it. Ive gone to Pierce, but that was when I wasnt focused on school. Mission looks very nice and new. They will have completed a huge mall like parking structure this summer. You could live in Valencia, Saugus, Canyon Country, Newhall or places just over the hill from the San Fernando Valley. Another college is College of the Canyons (C.O.C.) and Ive gone there and its very nice as well. Never been to LA City or Santa Monica, but I know S.M. supposedly has the highest transfer rate to Universities or something along those lines.
If you go to Pierce, you can live west of "the" 405 and be good for driving.
Just dont go to Valley College, what a dump.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:30 PM

25,735 posts, read 28,685,683 times
My DH lived in Van Nuys from 1995-2002 and his rent was cheap, but that was because it was a fixed-rent sort of thingie. I'm not sure how or why. It certainly wasn't based on income. DH was doing just fine. But...people who moved in during certain years either had no rent raises for X amount of years, or had minimal rent increases--like $25 based on a $500 rent or something like that.

DH would tell me about his $600 rent coming due and I'd want to tear my hair out, living on the east coast and paying $975 for a one-bedroom...which was a steal.

I think rents in Van Nuys are creeping up just like everywhere else, sadly.

As for the area itself, I liked it, when I visited there. Lots to do in the surrounding areas, not a total bear of a commute depending upon where you needed to go, etc.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 PM

My mom was in a place where rent was $600, but they are raising it on her. And the new tenants pay $900+ and its a BAD area. 90%+ poor hispanics.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
My mom was in a place where rent was $600, but they are raising it on her. And the new tenants pay $900+ and its a BAD area. 90%+ poor hispanics.
well exaclty what areas west of 405 are safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>