Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:20 PM

7,709 posts, read 12,563,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
There are plenty of people (friends, media, etc.) that feel that we're just a year or year and half away from the next "boom", as if housing prices are just gonna magically go up simply because right now they're going down.

Why should they? What I feel they don't ask themselves is this: Will sub-prime lending return to the way it was during the boom? I highly doubt it, yet this is primarily how prices got out of whack, not people's huge incomes. So, if people can't get loans for 5x or 6x their incomes, then how can prices go up?

Also, keep in mind that moving forward, mortgage lenders will need to analyze risk as if it's their own, not as a mortgage-backed security that'll be passed of to some unknowing investor somewhere. My point is, once the risk is yours, you start to be really critical about somebody's ability to pay back, just like I would be if I had to lend a friend or associate some money.

I realize that LA is still a highly desirable place to live. But it was that way before the boom too (beaches, great weather, and movie stars have been here a long time).

Any thoughts on this?
I think it should go up so that it can drive all the illegals out. It would be so much money alot of them could not afford it anymore. It's not my buisness to question people's motives and why they do certain things but seriously imigritating to the U.S. (especially California) illegally is getting out of hand. Especially when you come to LA and begin getting desperate for money and join a gang. That doesn't make anything any easier. I think Los Angeles used to be something special and all the thugs are driving people out. If Los Angeles destroyed South Central and re-built everything it in and built up the east side more and raised it's cost-of-living to San Francisco/New York prices, maybe there would be some kind of revolution. Idk. Maybe I'm just being an a-hole and not realizing the grand scheme of things. I just thought that perhaps it would be that easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,352,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think it should go up so that it can drive all the illegals out. It would be so much money alot of them could not afford it anymore. It's not my buisness to question people's motives and why they do certain things but seriously imigritating to the U.S. (especially California) illegally is getting out of hand. Especially when you come to LA and begin getting desperate for money and join a gang. That doesn't make anything any easier. I think Los Angeles used to be something special and all the thugs are driving people out. If Los Angeles destroyed South Central and re-built everything it in and built up the east side more and raised it's cost-of-living to San Francisco/New York prices, maybe there would be some kind of revolution. Idk. Maybe I'm just being an a-hole and not realizing the grand scheme of things. I just thought that perhaps it would be that easy.
If the last bubble didn't drive out the illegals, it's not going to happen. They're willing to cram more people into less space than you are so they'll outlast you in LA.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:40 PM

7,709 posts, read 12,563,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If the last bubble didn't drive out the illegals, it's not going to happen. They're willing to cram more people into less space than you are so they'll outlast you in LA.
That's so crazy!! Why don't they leave already?? I never really had a problem with illegals because I had in my mind that they were simply just searching for a better life! But then I see more and more just coming to do bad stuff and it makes me so mad. I don't get why they came in the first place if they weren't willing to improve their life.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,232,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's so crazy!! Why don't they leave already?? I never really had a problem with illegals because I had in my mind that they were simply just searching for a better life! But then I see more and more just coming to do bad stuff and it makes me so mad. I don't get why they came in the first place if they weren't willing to improve their life.
They are searching for a better life. Why else move here. Many are sending the money they make back home to family members in Mexico. Others will work here and save and then move back and live better than they could have if they has stayed in Mexico or Central and South America. They are willing to live all cramped together in a small space to accomplish this. Don't assume that their idea of a better life is living here. For many it is a way to save more than they can in their home nation, and eventually move back.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:30 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,248,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
They are searching for a better life. Why else move here. Many are sending the money they make back home to family members in Mexico. Others will work here and save and then move back and live better than they could have if they has stayed in Mexico or Central and South America. They are willing to live all cramped together in a small space to accomplish this. Don't assume that their idea of a better life is living here. For many it is a way to save more than they can in their home nation, and eventually move back.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:16 PM

422 posts, read 1,814,832 times
Wow, some people can make anything into an immigration rant. And will quickly justify doing so. I think we should do the right thing and hand the whole mess back to the Indians we cheated and slaughtered to steal their land.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:09 AM

619 posts, read 2,162,205 times
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles