U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 10:56 AM

2,325 posts, read 6,505,739 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how the Huntington Art Gallery has managed to survive all these years as a private institution? I used to visit the place every week for years when I went to USC and later when I lived in Pasadena and Arcadia. There was never an admission fee. I always thought this is the way to leave an estate instead of giving the money to relatives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 AM

11,715 posts, read 37,188,784 times
Isn't there a donation box? The old man probably left it so much money that they've managed to fund it from investments. There's also probably foundation that people can donate to, like "Friends of the Huntington" or some such organization.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:17 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,330,900 times
I'm assuming you're talking about the Huntington Library, Art Collection, and Botanical Gardens (the formal name of the museum in San Marino)? They charge admission now - $20 on weekends. I don't know what percentage of their operating funds come from admissions (or membership fees), but most museums depend very heavily on investments (I'm assuming they have a large endowment, although it has probably taken a big hit lately), as well as private donations or grants from individuals, corporations, and foundations. Places like the Huntington also get revenue from event rentals, the museum store, their food operations, reproduction fees, and other sources of revenue. There are also programs set up in place to make it easy for people to leave bequests, etc.

Admission process for museums is sometimes a controversial subject; sometimes if a place has a "suggested donation" they actually get more money than they would if they charge for admission. Probably not in the Huntington's case, though. They do have some free days to keep at least some access for those who can't shell out that kind of money for a visit. (which, even given lower prices for kids, can quickly add up for a family trip; if you visit a place frequently the best bet is almost always to buy a museum membership)

On the other hand, a place like the Huntington has a lot of expenses, so even though they're bringing in a lot of money they're putting it right back into their mission-driven operations.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 PM

15,085 posts, read 18,423,946 times
In addition to what others are saying, figure private donations from art/landscape fans help. I was there once on business for about 15 minutes (to read the gas meter on the property) - I remember looking out over the lawns and gardens and thinking this place is like a little piece of heaven. With that said, I'd gladly pay $20 to wander around and explore.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:36 PM

20 posts, read 115,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Does anyone know how the Huntington Art Gallery has managed to survive all these years as a private institution? I used to visit the place every week for years when I went to USC and later when I lived in Pasadena and Arcadia. There was never an admission fee. I always thought this is the way to leave an estate instead of giving the money to relatives.
My wife used to work there. They don't have a huge endowment - nothing like any of the Broad-funded museums out there. They don't pay their non-director employees very well. They don't have a huge development staff which, IMHO, is what cripples them. You are correct in wondering how they survive. I wonder that as well. They do charge admission ($15 during the week and $20 weekend) and have for some time now. They don't charge on the first Thursday of the month and my wife hated working those days because of the insane crowds that would mob the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles