Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times

Advertisements

Very curious question that came randomly in my mind while I was thinking about LA for some reason. I was curious because I have observed lots of high school videos and photos of random students here and looking at my own high school. The fashion here in San Antonio is absolutely ridiculous. My school is like some kind of fashion show. And everyone wears California Hollister or whatever. It's so strange. So do people in LA dress as nearly expensive as the city itself?? And no, I don't narrow down LA to some videos of high school students. No it's a real question that I am asking for those who live and observe the entire city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Plenty of people do and plenty of people shop at Target, Craig's List, and garage sales. It's pretty much impossible to come up with a single answer when you have everything from super rich to dirt poor people in a city.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
I wasn't aware Hollister was fashion show clothing.

But as escape said it's impossible to put everyone together as a whole. It's all a matter of personal choice, we have a bit of everything here.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:48 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
it depends really. the clothing trend currently is shifting away from hollister and other expensive brands into thrift store clothes, but many of the clothing designers are keeping pace and releasing looks that reflect the thrift store look.

basically, kids with rich parents will get nice stuff. young adults vary. most of the regular folks just buy stuff at target, old navy, etc for regular wear and maybe some nice clothes for going out. im a jeans and a tshirt guy. i can spend 100-200$ on a pair of lucky or diesels at nordstroms or a 15$ pair of jeans at costco. i go for costco, others go for nordstrom.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:58 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
When I lived there I certainly didn't. I was into playing volleyball and generally doing the beach scene, so I shopped at Target and a lot of times at the Salvation Army on Artesia Blvd. For a few years I wore Hawaiian Shirts or Becker Surf t-shirts almost every day.

I used to go to church at American Martyrs in Manhattan Beach. About ten years ago they were featured in an article in Newsweek (or one of those news magazines, might have been US News & World Report). Anyway, the article was about people wearing casual clothes to church. They had a photo of Msgr. Barry on the front steps of the church, greeting a man who was wearing cut offs.

I think we were supposed to "ashamed" of that photo but I was always proud of it. To me it said my church had its priorities straight. God doesn't care what you wear to church, just that you come to church.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I wasn't aware Hollister was fashion show clothing.

But as escape said it's impossible to put everyone together as a whole. It's all a matter of personal choice, we have a bit of everything here.
Oh lol. I didn't fashion show as in a real actual fashion show. I meant it as a figure of speech. Alot of kids in my high school wear that those type of really fancy and trendy clothes.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:39 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post

I used to go to church at American Martyrs in Manhattan Beach. About ten years ago they were featured in an article in Newsweek (or one of those news magazines, might have been US News & World Report). Anyway, the article was about people wearing casual clothes to church. They had a photo of Msgr. Barry on the front steps of the church, greeting a man who was wearing cut offs.

I think we were supposed to "ashamed" of that photo but I was always proud of it. To me it said my church had its priorities straight. God doesn't care what you wear to church, just that you come to church.
Pretty sad that you're supposed to be ashamed of that. When I attended church in HB as a youth we would wear tshirt, cargo shorts, and flipflops, usually with unkempt hair as well. It was the nature of things. Dressing up for church is a foreign concept to me

Old 04-13-2009, 02:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Pretty sad that you're supposed to be ashamed of that. When I attended church in HB as a youth we would wear tshirt, cargo shorts, and flipflops, usually with unkempt hair as well. It was the nature of things. Dressing up for church is a foreign concept to me
One of the most genuinely spiritual churches I've ever been to is Hope Chapel in Hermosa Beach. Beach attire is common there. And who cares, the people there are alive and full of joy and they aren't little hypocrites (well most of them anyway). The ones I met really walked the walk. Beach shorts and all.

Where I live now, church is a fashion show. Don't get me wrong, I love NOVA, but religion seems phony here, more like a show (and that includes a fashion show). The women wear fancy dresses but all that means is they spend the service judging clothing and checking each other out. As soon as they leave the church door on Sunday morning a lot of them don't act very Christian anymore. It's all for show.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
IMO people in LA dress a lot more "creatively" than other cities, but I really see little evidence most of the clothes are expensive, whereas in cities like Dallas, Atlanta, people are more "brand happy." LA fashion is a lot more about being "unique" than spending a lot of money. I'm not saying people don't spend money on clothes here (I know they do) but it's not as obvious. If you can pull a unique, cool look from cheap clothes, you will fit in fine here, compared to Dallas, where it's more about the brand of clothes than the look.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 AM

241 posts, read 939,959 times
think all depends. If really into fashion then guess dressing in expensive clothes or brand that is fashionable which usually cost alot. Depends on where in city too like if you live in a very expensive place than dressing clean and nice would fit. It might not be good idea to dress so expensively in many other parts also. All depends think many here like to dress in brand name clothing thats are fashionable or gives certain image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles