Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:31 AM

3 posts, read 21,799 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a french student and I'm going to Los Angeles this summer (july and August).

I would like to find a job and an accomodation.

Is it hard for foreigners to find a summer job/an accomodation at this time ?

Should I know something particular about traveling in California ?

I'm well-motivated to work and earn money (to reimbursed my plane ticket )
so I'm ready to accept almost every job I could get.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
Do you have a visa that will allow you work legally?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:46 AM

We told me I should find a job before getting a visa because it's more complicated (and risky) to get a J-1 without a job.

But actually if I don't succeed in finding a job quickly, I will try to get a J-1 and find a job when I get there.

please tell me if I'm wrong

Thank you

Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
Have you reviewed the requirements at the State Department website? That's your best source for accurate information.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
Maybe try looking at the websites of the tourist-oriented places (the big resorts/disneyland/etc.) to see if they're hiring summer help; maybe they'll have a need for someone who speaks French. Otherwise in general I can't imagine that most places are going to give you a job without you even having a visa to work. The job situation is very tight right now, and there are many people (including students) looking for work of any kind.

Does your school offer any advice? It sounds like you plan on going to LA specifically, but if you were open to other areas you might be able to find summer work at a resort, summer camp, or national park; those sorts of places often hire seasonally, tend to be extremely student-friendly, often provide free or cheap housing, and might have a job.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 AM

52 posts, read 206,518 times
If you are a college student this might be of interest: Summer Work/Travel

Old 04-15-2009, 01:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youll View Post
We told me I should find a job before getting a visa because it's more complicated (and risky) to get a J-1 without a job.

But actually if I don't succeed in finding a job quickly, I will try to get a J-1 and find a job when I get there.

please tell me if I'm wrong

Thank you

No, that's not true. That does;nt apply to the J1 Visa. Only an authorized organization can give the the paper work to get the J1 Visa. The work-study will requies you to be a student. So it fits you. Once you have it you just go there and look for a job. It's not risky at all. That's exactly the purpose of the Visa. I'm from Germany by the way. Always nice to see some Europeans here !
Good luck with everything!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 AM

Thank you very much for your advice.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,874 times
Smile Hey fellow European

Have you been successful in your plans to relocate and work in the USA??
If you have please let me know...I am also considering it!!

Any information would be appreciated!!!

Greetings

Cristiano Luca

Amsterdam

Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,787 times
Hi ,
anyone can assist me regards of which organisation will give the paperwork for visa?
I need to work in Los Angeles .
I am from malaysia , any assistance would appreciate on this

SNA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles