Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 14,444 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone!
I'm an Italian student and I'll be finishing high school this june and I am stuck between two great uni's for the future. I'd like to study in the area of the political sciences, and let me just point out that I live in Rome (Italy) and it's hard for me to get some honest advice from people who know about these universities. NYU put me in its liberal studies program which means I'd spend the first year in London, while at USC I've been accepted at the college of Arts and Sciences. So basically I wonder which school is better accredited in this area, or which city, L.A or New York would provide better future jobs in this area. I am sure both options would work out well for me, but I was just looking for some advice, thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Not sure about NYU, but USC is a great school. Many will tell you that if you attend USC chances are you will want to look for employment in the western USA.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Not sure about NYU, but USC is a great school. Many will tell you that if you attend USC chances are you will want to look for employment in the western USA.
I would say the same, major western companies like to look at kids from schools like Stanford and USC, the corp in NY and DC to mention a few, look at the eastern schools first.

Nita

Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
First of all, congratulations! You've been accepted to two great universities. I really don't think you can wrong with either one. I will offer some of my thoughts.

Based on U.S. News & World reports 2009 OVERALL rankings of universities in the USA, USC is ranked #27 and NYC is #33. That means OVERALL they are both pretty close. Granted you can say these rankigns are somewhat subjective. But I think they are both good schools. You can look at their webiste to read about their methodolgy for the rankings: www.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com

It is harder to find rankings for political science at the "Undergraduate" level. At the "Graduate" level, I believe NYU is considered to have the better political science program. USC DOES have one of the best gradaute programs in public policy/public administration in the entire USA. However, like I said, they are both excellent schools and you can't wrong either way.

Of course, both schools are NOT cheap so you should think about what it's going to cost you. Do you get more financial aid from one or the other, etc.? As for NYU putting you in their liberal arts program, I would be sure they would let you transfer to political science if that is what you want to focus on.

Last but not least, you have to consider location. NYU is in Greenwich Village, a very exciting urban environment. Having said that, it is ALSO very expensive to live in NYC and the Village in particular. As for USC, it is located in a more "sketchy" part of town. Having said that, USC is close to downtown Los Angeles, which has really become a hot area to live as the downtown area has been revitalized over the last 10 years. You'd only be 5 or 10 minutes from USC if you lived in downtown. Of course, the weather in Los Angeles is far more pleasant than NYC. Again, I think both cities are very exciting places to live. But Los Angeles is cheaper than NYC, but it is still pretty expensive.

Let me also mention, I am from Los Angeles. I have two masters's degrees: one from Rutgers University (in New Jersey) and one from USC. When I got my master's from Rutgers I had also been accepted to Columbia Unveristy in NYC. I declined to go to Columbia b/c Rutgers offered me a full scholarship. So in the cost-benefit analsyis, I went with a free ride at Rutgers.

Again, congrats to you and good luck in making your decision.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:27 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
With regards to employment, if you want to work in politics or goverment in the United States your best bet is Washington, D.C. New York City will give you some opportunities in that area: the U.N. and some foundations, etc. Los Angeles, by comparison, does NOT have nearly as many opportunites in that area.

So I think you'll have better networking and internship opportunities in politics/govt. at NYU than you would at USC. But I think USC does have a Washington, DC program or office for students interested in working therem for a semester. That could open some doors for you.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
With regards to employment, if you want to work in politics or goverment in the United States your best bet is Washington, D.C. New York City will give you some opportunities in that area: the U.N. and some foundations, etc. Los Angeles, by comparison, does NOT have nearly as many opportunites in that area.

So I think you'll have better networking and internship opportunities in politics/govt. at NYU than you would at USC. But I think USC does have a Washington, DC program or office for students interested in working therem for a semester. That could open some doors for you.
Good points, but one can start a political career at the state level, for a major cooperation or in many ways. Too often we think, right away of places like the UN or Washington. Not to mention, many students today are majoring in Poli Sci and not planning on a career in government...

Nita

Old 04-14-2009, 01:53 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would say the same, major western companies like to look at kids from schools like Stanford and USC, the corp in NY and DC to mention a few, look at the eastern schools first.

Nita
Actually I wouldn't even say that. I'm about to graduate next month from the MAcc program here and I know pretty much everybody in the MAcc and MBA programs. USC is a good school if you definitely want to live and work in the greater LA (including OC, Ventura county, etc) metro area. If you want to work in NYC, you might get a job offer right out of USC, but I wouldn't have your heart set on that. Outside of LA, even in other western cities, you are unlikely to get directly recruited coming out of USC unless if you move there first. I say unlikely, because there always are some exceptional people who manage to do it, but they are the exceptions, not the rule. Even in northern California USC is not very well recognized. I tried getting recruited by firms in Denver and Phoenix and had no success. USC is no good even if you want to work in San Diego-- I don't know one single person who has been recuited by a firm in SD this year. I'm not saying USC is not a good school-- it is-- but it is definitely not a national school like they claim. It's influence is pretty much confined to greater LA.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Actually I wouldn't even say that. I'm about to graduate next month from the MAcc program here and I know pretty much everybody in the MAcc and MBA programs. USC is a good school if you definitely want to live and work in the greater LA (including OC, Ventura county, etc) metro area. If you want to work in NYC, you might get a job offer right out of USC, but I wouldn't have your heart set on that. Outside of LA, even in other western cities, you are unlikely to get directly recruited coming out of USC unless if you move there first. I say unlikely, because there always are some exceptional people who manage to do it, but they are the exceptions, not the rule. Even in northern California USC is not very well recognized. I tried getting recruited by firms in Denver and Phoenix and had no success. USC is no good even if you want to work in San Diego-- I don't know one single person who has been recuited by a firm in SD this year. I'm not saying USC is not a good school-- it is-- but it is definitely not a national school like they claim. It's influence is pretty much confined to greater LA.
I am sure you know much more about it than I do, if you are right, things certainly have changed in the past 5 years or so. Our best friends grandson graduated with his bach in business in 2005 and had offers from all over. He choose to go to grad school instead, another friends son had a similar experience with his degree in finance (masters) he choose to return to the east coast where he had grown up. I am not certain what city or state Scott ended up in, I want to say PA> Maybe today's economy has a little to do with it...I don't know, but you certainly know more than I do.

Nita

Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 14,444 times
thanks for all the replies.. i just wanted to point out that quite regrettably being an international student i am not going to see a single penny from either university so from the financial perspective there is no major difference. Having said that it is important that the university is widely recognised because i'd like to move on without necessarily living around the area where i graduate. And again, thanks a lot it really helps to hear from other people's personal experience!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure you know much more about it than I do, if you are right, things certainly have changed in the past 5 years or so. Our best friends grandson graduated with his bach in business in 2005 and had offers from all over. He choose to go to grad school instead, another friends son had a similar experience with his degree in finance (masters) he choose to return to the east coast where he had grown up. I am not certain what city or state Scott ended up in, I want to say PA> Maybe today's economy has a little to do with it...I don't know, but you certainly know more than I do.

Nita
The economy definitely has something to do with it. This year employers all over are starting to have tunnel vision, unless if you're a "local" candidate-- meaning physically living in that city that very moment (even if that somewhere else is your permanent address and you've lived there your entire life except for being away for the college school semesters) they throw your application straight to the garbage can. Last year I hear people had more success-- I knew people who got job offers in NYC, Seattle, Denver, and Phoenix. But this year USC might as well rename themselves "Downtown LA Community College," because that's basically what they've turned into. Or was it University of South Central... or University of Spoiled Children... or something like that.

And of course, this is a free country. You can choose where you want to live, where you want to go. That's precisely what I'm doing. I don't want to live in LA-- I'm choosing to move back home to Denver right after I graduate. Then I'll be able to apply to jobs in Denver as a local candidate. I might even see if I can get a job in Albuquerque, I think it would be cool to live there. Only thing is it's going to be no help from USC, it's all on my own now. I'm just hoping that when potential employers see the name "USC" that means something... and more than just football. Only time will tell.

To the OP, ludocrous, my #1 advice to you is go to school in the city that you think you will be most happy living in after you graduate. If that's LA, then go to USC. If that's NYC, then go to NYU. Or to put it another way... which city would you mind the least getting stuck in if you had to be stuck somewhere for the next 10 years? Of course life takes its twists and turns, but it's best to at least do some planning ahead of time so you don't end up being a miserable, complaining curmudgeon. I'm taking matters into my own hands and living where I want to live so I don't end up becoming that. But if you go to school in the right location to begin with, potentially you won't even have to make that difficult decision.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 04-14-2009 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: added whole paragraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles