Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:21 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,726,301 times

Advertisements

you may be better served looking in the south bay. the drive really isnt that bad to SM and you'll get a lot more for your money. you could possibly find something in the palos verdes/rolling hills area to fit your budget, and that area is one of the most secluded in so cal(since you value your privacy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:20 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,380,721 times
A small house with a pool in a quiet area with no noise close to Santa Monica is like finding a gold needle in a haystack. What you're looking for is most likely going to be a realtor listing on the MLS, not something on one of the drive-by list services. In this market, you might find someone who can't sell willing to do a lease on a property that wouldn't normally be a rental. But if a pool is key, have you considered Beverly Hills? The lots are more pool-size there and some of the homes in the flats might be at the top-- or just over-- your price range, given the economy. If you have all the right creds, somebody might give you a break on rent. I doubt you're going to find what you want in Malibu or the Palisades in your price range, but you never know. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 10,476 times
Wow, thanks guys. Your help is most appreciated. I feel kind of stupid asking this question as I know many people in L.A who are struggling to make ends meet, and here I am, crying over luxury privileges my money seemingly can't buy me. I am genuinely surprised at the purchasing power in L.A, especially with the financial meltdown amidst us. I honestly thought I would be able to get a little more for what I'm willing to pay, but it looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and lower my expectations considerably.

Beverly Hills is great but a little too far away. I recall spending about 30 mins to get from Beverly Hills to Venice, mostly stuck on the i-10(?). I found some interesting places in the Hollywood Hills but again, too far away. Pacific Palisades and Malibu are looking interesting but of course at 7K+ it's quite a bit more than I'd feel comfortable spending. It seems I will have to forgo my initial plans and rent a house without a pool, or maybe even a townhouse w/community pool. Kinda harsh reality that even with the income I have I'm still forced to make big compromises. If anything it speaks volumes of the wealth that's out there in L.A. On the plus side this means I can probably cut my rent in half (as the incentive to squander another $3K a month just to up the standards a tiny bit isn't really there) and save more money for a down-payment for when the housing market finally stabilizes.
Either way I'm looking forward to living in L.A and I'm grateful for all your help. L.A, gotta love it, brutal costs of living aside.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,800,907 times
I looked with a friend two summers back in Malibu for similar situation your'e seeking..
under 6k might be pushing it, but now and then some things do come up...She eventually found her rental for $6,200 mo....check these guys out they were super helpful http://www.prumalibu.com/ .. good luck

Old 04-17-2009, 12:56 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,501,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_28 View Post
Hey Lizzy, the housing bust is far from finished. There's a new wave of rate resets coming in 2010 and 2011, especially on the westside. The subprime bust is nearing an end, but the higher end areas are coming next. Many people are under water. I'm not buying in this market. Like I said I'm not very interested in commiting to one property right off the bat. I'd like to keep my options open. This is not a good time to get into a lot of debt on a house that 1) will lose value over the next years 2) will be hard to sell if I want to relocate.
Smart Move. West La/Pac Pal, Brentwood/Malibu have only seen a 10-12% reduction from what I've seen over the past years. If you forego the pool you can find something very nice and private in these areas. Again, consider close to the beach...possibly malibu. Take your time and check out the options. fWIW..hollywood hills, san fernando and south bay are difficult drives during traffic hours. You are in a price range where you can afford to live close to SM and west of the traffic of the 405 & 10 frwys.

Highlands in Pacific Palisades has a community pool

Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 PM

26 posts, read 104,013 times
Default Your assumption is correct

People on the Westside typically don't need pools so they don't have them; we have the ocean. Perhaps you can reconsider the necessity of having a pool in a single-family dwelling; you will get much more for your dollar if you let that one criteria go. Another thought is renting a condo or apartment with a pool. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 AM

830 posts, read 2,855,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_28 View Post
Hey Lizzy, the housing bust is far from finished. There's a new wave of rate resets coming in 2010 and 2011, especially on the westside. The subprime bust is nearing an end, but the higher end areas are coming next. Many people are under water. I'm not buying in this market. Like I said I'm not very interested in commiting to one property right off the bat. I'd like to keep my options open. This is not a good time to get into a lot of debt on a house that 1) will lose value over the next years 2) will be hard to sell if I want to relocate.

It brings a tear to my eye that you have any clue at all about what is going on in the housing market. Good man.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:49 AM

67 posts, read 193,331 times
You may try Culver City, It's close to Santa Monica and it's a very nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles