U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,335 times

Advertisements

I graduate from Chapman University on May 23 with a screenwriting degree. My landlord in Orange just gave me and my four roommates 30 days to move out by May 15 (our one-year lease is up and his partner's daughter wants the place).

I want to head for LA so I can stay close by if/when the studio contacts I made through internships offer me work. In the meantime, I'll get whatever job I can at restaurants, stores, etc.

Please recommend the most affordable communities where safety is not a concern and where the commute is not too bad. I've been commuting two days a week to Warner Brothers from Orange for my internship so I know I can do much better than that.

I've read in your forums about Burbank and Studio City. Some say they're pricey; other accounts don't make them sound pricey.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 PM

1,204 posts, read 4,111,326 times
What is your budget?

Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,335 times
I guess it's a bit of a discovery process. How much money will I need to rent a studio or share an apartment? As one of five guys sharing a house in Orange, I pay $550 monthly, plus utilities. I've seen roommate openings online for $650 to $850 in Burbank. My parents, who are helping me financially, don't want me to be in an unsafe place of course.

If you can give me an idea of what a studio or roommate situation would cost in safe areas such as Burbank, I would appreciate that information.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 AM

66 posts, read 138,518 times
Yeah, 800-900 a month to be a roommate in a good building in a good area would be a starting point. And that's just for rent.

Provided you don't live by north of the airport or on the line by Van Nuys, NoHo, or Sun Valley, you'll be fine. Burbank's safe. I'd also look into Glendale. If you're up by Glenoaks, you can hop on Alameda and cruise into Studio City and the Media District of Burbank pretty easily.

Farther away is Atwater Village, but also a good place, because you can get right on the 5. I lived there while writing at studios in Burbank and it was a nice commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles