Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 10:19 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshire View Post
Because Los Angeles looks too futuristic for many East Coast white people.

I've heard it before... in Los Angeles, there's too many Mexicans, Jews, Koreans, Asians, etc... etc...

Thats what it basically boils down to for these East Coasters that move here, and expect everyone to cater to their needs, like the arrogant out of towners that they are.
Aren't a lot of east coast cities just as diverse as Los Angeles? New York? Northern Virginia? Maybe the suburbs there aren't but there's a lot of homogeneity in the Southern California suburbs too.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM

749 posts, read 1,855,681 times
Quote:

I've heard it before... in Los Angeles, there's too many Mexicans, Jews, Koreans, Asians, etc... etc...

Thats what it basically boils down to for these East Coasters that move here, and expect everyone to cater to their needs, like the arrogant out of towners that they are.

New York is at least as diverse as LA.

Besides, east coast derision and snobbery towards LA dates back decades. It's nothing new.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,328,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Aren't a lot of east coast cities just as diverse as Los Angeles? New York? Northern Virginia? Maybe the suburbs there aren't but there's a lot of homogeneity in the Southern California suburbs too.
What particularly interesting in Los Angeles and California in general is how the different racial\ ethnic groups tend to flow together compared to the very distinct segregation on sees in the rest of the nation. Someone posted these great maps showing different neighborhoods of all the major cities in the U.S. [maybe I can find them] and Los Angeles had the most number of different cultures and a rainbow of integrated areas. There is mostly Latino and mostly Asian areas but the mingling with other races\ ethnicities was quite remarkable. In contrast, the large Eastern and Midwest cities were strictly one race\ ethnic group from others.

Yesterday I was down in the South Bay and driving back up into downtown and out to Pasadena gave us a beautiful view. The clear blue sky with 50-mile visibilities, the mountains and hills, palm trees on a 75 degree winter day made it all the more evident that Los Angeles is truly a unique city.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,784,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Of course, I was kiddnig about San Diego being a banana republic. I LIKE San Diego.....albeit no place is perfect.

That said, you should try growing up a little bit. I don't have a chip on my shoulder and find it necessary to go into the SD forum and dump on it.

If you dislike LA so much why even bother even coming to the LA forum?
Footballfreak is the guy who constantly bemoans the out-of-staters who come to the CA fora to bash the state.

Oh, the incongruity...

Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:

I've heard it before... in Los Angeles, there's too many Mexicans, Jews,
Huh? People from the East Coast complain about the number of Jews out here? This ain't exactly Little Israel...

Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM

312 posts, read 501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Huh? People from the East Coast complain about the number of Jews out here? This ain't exactly Little Israel...
Yes that made me laugh also.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 PM

I believe I read somewhere that NYC has the highest population of Jews outside of Israel.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,708,155 times
For Jewish population worldwide, it is hard to quantify.

NYC is the largest Jewish city in the world. Guess what is #2? A tossup between LA and Tel Aviv.

Chicago is #8 worldwide.

NYC, LA, and Chicago are more diverse than anywhere else I have been. Surprising that East Coasters would bemoan that.

NYC is not diverse like LA though, nor like Chicago. LA ethnic groups are Mexican, Jewish, and Korean as 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Chicago is Black, Mexican, Irish. NYC is Black, Puerto Rican, Irish.

LA has far fewer white ethnic group members than Chicago and NYC. It seems that LA has mostly Jews and Armenians and some Russian non Jews. Not so many Irish, Polish, Italian, Greek.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 PM

749 posts, read 1,855,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I believe I read somewhere that NYC has the highest population of Jews outside of Israel.
And NYC has actually elected Jewish Mayors (Bloomberg and Ed Koch). Not the case here in LA to date.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 PM

Have any Jews ever run for the position here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles