Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times

Advertisements

Honestly I pretty much don't care if some people hate L.A.

I used to get defensive because my experience here has been overwhelmingly positive, but it seems once a person has decided that they "hate" L.A., there are no statistics, facts, or stories that will make them change their mind.

So what's the point in debating?

My only annoyance is that once someone has decided that they hate L.A., they feel this compunction to share their feelings with the world and try to convince everyone else that L.A. is a terrible place.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Everyone? Odds are at least one person would like LA.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post

I used to get defensive because my experience here has been overwhelmingly positive, but it seems once a person has decided that they "hate" L.A., there are no statistics, facts, or stories that will make them change their mind.

My only annoyance is that once someone has decided that they hate L.A., they feel this compunction to share their feelings with the world and try to convince everyone else that L.A. is a terrible place.

Rather than say anything, I just hope they move away to somewhere like Chicago or some other places I don't visit.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,748 times
I HATE LA and all of Southern CA for that matter! The only decent place is Pasadena, where I live. And it's only tolerable here when I don't have to leave and when it's not summer! I've tried living in other states, but keep coming back to this hell hole cause my whole family is here and I'm a single female who doesn't wanna live alone in some random city. I've lived here(and orange county, which is even worse) for 27 years and I still can't believe how soulless this place is and how people think they're the s@*t for no reason whatsoever. I meet people all the time who have no education, no job and act like it's a privelege to talk to them. "Take your freakin sunglasses off when I'm talkin to you"! I just pray I can find a really good job that would force me to move out of here! And hopefully drag my family along!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pv77 View Post
I HATE LA and all of Southern CA for that matter! The only decent place is Pasadena, where I live. And it's only tolerable here when I don't have to leave and when it's not summer! I've tried living in other states, but keep coming back to this hell hole cause my whole family is here and I'm a single female who doesn't wanna live alone in some random city. I've lived here(and orange county, which is even worse) for 27 years and I still can't believe how soulless this place is and how people think they're the s@*t for no reason whatsoever. I meet people all the time who have no education, no job and act like it's a privelege to talk to them. "Take your freakin sunglasses off when I'm talkin to you"! I just pray I can find a really good job that would force me to move out of here! And hopefully drag my family along!
In sum: the only decent place in all of Southern California is where you live, but you lack the courage to try to another "random city", and instead decide to remain in a hell-hole. You surround yourself with arrogant, uneducated, unemployed, walking dead in sunglasses, and you have vague aspirations to meaningful employment that will cause the relocation of your family, apparently against their will.

I'll pack you a lunch.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post

Yep. Persuasion is futile, but at the same time, I enjoy calling out the futility of those who use statistics, fact or stories to build case against it. Taking responsibility for one's own happiness, and all that. The fewer shirkers of that responsibility among us, the better.

If you live here and hate it, just leave. If you've never been here but express hatred for it anyway, kindly shut your cannoli holes.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:24 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pv77 View Post
Perhaps its you and not them. You are not as educated as you lead on either.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:30 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
LOL nice.

Yup, you hit on 5 of the big reasons. California is one of the worst states in the union, no doubt about that, it has horrible politics, a massive debt, some of the highest income taxes in the U.S., the highest sales taxes, extremely high property prices that lead to very high property taxes (maybe not by percent but nobody gives a crap about percent, what matters is how many DOLLARS you spend every month paying for this state's nonsense programs). The laws are also terrible, everything from "can't drink in a strip club" to bars closing at 2 a.m. (and that amounts to being more like 1:15 usually, which is unbelievable, since that's about half-way into the night in a REAL city with closing times at 4) to no concealed carry permits in L.A. County to the city of L.A. trying to say you need to pay a percent of your business gross income to the city just for operating there even 8 days of the year. Basically, it's enough to say that no matter what your business is, you should refuse to do business with any company based in Los Angeles pretty much. The good thing for us is that L.A. is much, much smaller than it seems. There may be a lot of people who apparently live in Los Angeles, but there are 50 other cities in the county that aren't L.A. so despite being an L.A.-based company we've almost never done any work for a company in the city proper. Most of the businesses we've dealt with don't have operations inside of the city so once I move, no more city taxes either.

Then there's the terrible traffic, the worst airport in the U.S., high crime (happens to many big cities, though), unbelievably high cost of living for what you get for it, no free parking almost anywhere (in most states and cities, even big cities like Portland, you don't pay for parking -- you assume the business provides a free lot for you to park and that's part of their obligation to you as a consumer), terrible quality of people (L.A. was rated the rudest city in the United States and well deserved), basically it is a miserable city in every respect except for the weather.

The weather here is amazing and is enough to pave over a lot of the ills, but not all of them. For me, I'd prefer to take advantage of the weather but not pay the taxes, so I'm picking up a place in Long Beach where I can at least go during the winter or the summer, but the rest of the time Las Vegas will be home, a city that doesn't take my business for granted and doesn't charge me a franchise tax fee or any corporate income taxes or personal income taxes and a city where I'm free to do what i want to do, which is enjoy my beer on the sidewalk, drink at my strip clubs, and stay out until whenever I feel like going home. Where my decisions are truly MINE, not the government's, and in California, you may as well live in communist China because it's about the same thing. You really aren't free living in this state. It's a great place to visit, a miserable place to live. I wouldn't wish Los Angeles on my worst enemies.

The only redeeming or useful thing about L.A. is the film industry, and for that reason I will always have a presence here, but to live here full time? What a miserable experience.
Translation: I tried to make it here and failed. I type this with tears in my eyes.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
I don't hate LA but I would have liked it if the weather was a little more diverse. But whatever people enjoy i guess
I can't tell you how many times I've laid on the beach in January and longed for a blizzard. I'm tired of blue skies! Sometimes I look at the shovel in my garage and think "if only I could use you to remove the 4 feet snow off my driveway everyday so I can go to work". but I put up with it, knowing it will make me stronger.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:12 AM

34 posts, read 76,486 times
^ On the other side of the coin, I don't want to see another flake of snow as long as I live...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles