Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:51 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,927,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Are you kidding me? Koreatown and all the authentic Korean food is one of my favorite things about Los Angeles. I consider that neighborhood an asset to LA, not something “disgusting”.
you're taking it the wrong way. it's disgusting how people move to another country and make their own town segregating themselves from everyone else.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 PM

126 posts, read 364,800 times
It's a Love/Hate thing. Example: Hate first. Friday I rode my bike down Venice and Washington Blvd and got really depressed seeing all the garbage, dirty shops, broken down cars, graffitti, nasty yard sales, etc. Now love: Friday Night went downtown to see the band "She Wants Revenge" at Club 740. Loved it. There are times you are really enjoying the variety of scenery, food, entertainment, etc. and there are times when you look around and see all the poverty here and get really depressed. I guess it keeps things interesting. Point is to keep it in prespective.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 PM

24 posts, read 47,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
you're taking it the wrong way. it's disgusting how people move to another country and make their own town segregating themselves from everyone else.
I agree with you to a certain extent. I don't think it is disgusting per se but I do think it's small minded and annoying.

With regards to the OP's original question, I personally love Los Angeles. For me, it's a small percentage of the population (e.g. corrupt politicians, gangsters, housing slumlords, illegal immigrants, etc.) that has really lowered the standard of living in this city.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,440,476 times
Quote:
You mean like those damn Irish, Italians, Greeks, Poles, and every non-Anglo-Saxon group did when they arrived here? Last time I checked, there were still strong Italian, Irish, Polish, etc. enclaves in Boston, Philly, Chicago, etc...bastards.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,927,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
You mean like those damn Irish, Italians, Greeks, Poles, and every non-Anglo-Saxon group did when they arrived here? Last time I checked, there were still strong Italian, Irish, Polish, etc. enclaves in Boston, Philly, Chicago, etc...bastards.
Yeah it's all over America. America is just very segregated as a whole.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,563,156 times
Quote:
Are you for real? and I don't think you've lived in Los Angeles very long. Koreans ARE Americans. Just because they speak their own tongue makes them "disgusting" apparently. The sign of a cosmopolitan city is the diversity of cultures. If you want "white bread" I suggest you move to Bakersfield. We celebrate cultures here & are a better city for the wonderful variety of people & great food.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,975,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Are you for real? and I don't think you've lived in Los Angeles very long...
I doubt that Miss Pip has even visited LA.

One of the benefits of LA is the ethnic diversity, appreciated by me because of the great variety of ethnic foods.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,403,967 times
Quote:
Are you for real? and I don't think you've lived in Los Angeles very long. Koreans ARE Americans. Just because they speak their own tongue makes them "disgusting" apparently. The sign of a cosmopolitan city is the diversity of cultures. If you want "white bread" I suggest you move to Bakersfield. We celebrate cultures here & are a better city for the wonderful variety of people & great food.
Very well said.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,563,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
Very well said.
Can you image how boring LA would be without all these great cultures? It has broadened my understanding & appreciation of all people by living in Los Angeles. A poster recently posted on the "Cherry Blossom" festival & shared photos of dancing hula girls and Japanese culture. Every month there is some major cultural event [Persian\ Latino\ Ethiopian\ Armenian\ Chinese\ Japanese\ Filipino\ Thai\ etc. Has anyone attended the Lotus festival in Echo Pk? I hear that the lotus plants have been dying of some reason.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:06 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,403,967 times
Quote:
Can you image how boring LA would be without all these great cultures? It has broadened my understanding & appreciation of all people by living in Los Angeles. A poster recently posted on the "Cherry Blossom" festival & shared photos of dancing hula girls and Japanese culture. Every month there is some major cultural event [Persian\ Latino\ Ethiopian\ Armenian\ Chinese\ Japanese\ Filipino\ Thai\ etc. Has anyone attended the Lotus festival in Echo Pk? I hear that the lotus plants have been dying of some reason.
If it wasn't for those things, I wouldn't be here. The vast amount of diversity is what makes it soo appealing. Anything is possible, and everything is available... I love LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles